• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate Republicans unveil stricter NC voter ID bill

Unitedwestand13

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Senate Republicans unveil stricter NC voter ID bill | CharlotteObserver.com

Resurrecting one of the legislative session’s most contentious issues, Senate Republicans unveiled a new voter ID bill Thursday that would further restrict the forms of photo identification accepted at the polls.

The new measure would require voters to show one of seven types of photo identification issued by the government, such as driver’s licenses, passports, non-driver IDs and military or veteran cards.

It eliminates about half the types of photo identification allowed under the House version, including cards from UNC system colleges, state community colleges, local governments, private employers and law enforcement agencies. The bill would take full effect in the 2016 elections.

“We want a state-issued ID or a federal-issued ID,” said Sen. Tom Apodaca, the bill’s chief supporter, expressing concern that college IDs “could be manipulated” and allow out-of-state students to vote in two states.

OK, i have to ask. Why in the name shrimp stew is a UNC school ID, comunity college id, local government i.d or any of the other types of i.d mentioned not enough to prove you are eligible to vote?

OK, i have to ask. Why in the name shrimp stew is a UNC school ID, comunity college id, local government i.d or any of the other types of i.d mentioned not enough to prove you are eligible to vote?

If these IDs are not mutually exclusive of other ID's then a person may still easily vote in more than one district/state. Using "local" IDs a person can have several, all bearing a different address. A valid, state issued, photo ID, e.g. a driver's license, may be held in only one state and bear but one address - it is checked against a national database (by SSN), if you have a CO DL then that must be surrendered/cancelled prior to getting a NC DL.

If these IDs are not mutually exclusive of other ID's then a person may still easily vote in more than one district/state. Using "local" IDs a person can have several, all bearing a different address. A valid, state issued, photo ID, e.g. a driver's license, may be held in only one state and bear but one address - it is checked against a national database (by SSN), if you have a CO DL then that must be surrendered/cancelled prior to getting a NC DL.

Not in most states, which keep a master roll that picks up double voting. But lets say it doesn't and a guy votes twice. So, that's supposed to change the election results?

Fact is IDs have nothing to do with affecting an election. If you want to commit voter fraud, you don't do it by conspiring with a lot of voters to vote twice (you will almost certainly get caught and go to jail and you will need thousands of conspirators). Rather, what you do is suppress registration or voter by the other side -- something that the GOP has been found guilty of over and over again, and something which ID laws in fact promote.

Nice try though. I love rightwing memes that try hard to look sensible.

Not in most states, which keep a master roll that picks up double voting. But lets say it doesn't and a guy votes twice. So, that's supposed to change the election results?

Fact is IDs have nothing to do with affecting an election. If you want to commit voter fraud, you don't do it by conspiring with a lot of voters to vote twice (you will almost certainly get caught and go to jail and you will need thousands of conspirators). Rather, what you do is suppress registration or voter by the other side -- something that the GOP has been found guilty of over and over again, and something which ID laws in fact promote.

Nice try though. I love rightwing memes that try hard to look sensible.

That's right; a valid, state issued, photo ID is only a non-discriminatory burden when required to cash a check, get a job, board a commercial aircraft, or to buy alcohol, tobacco, guns or ammo. When required to vote (in a red state) it then takes on a sinister meaning.

no expiration date on those forms of ID

NC Governor admits: ‘I don’t know enough’ about parts of new voting restriction law | The Raw Story
but he will sign the bill into law, anyway
why? you might ask. because he was told to sign it

pat is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. but as mayor, he was fundamentally decent and surrounded himself with good people.
his former chief of staff is incredibly gifted and made mccrory look good
his current head of economic development, former chief of transition, john lassister, is a flaming reich wing asshole. i suspect these dreadful moves, aka "reforms", passed by the republican dominated house and senate, were made at lassister's direction

i voted for pat. he was a decent mayor. and is quickly becoming a terrible governor. don't believe he knows how to take his position as governor back out of lassiter's hands. quickly making north carolina a laughing stock

no expiration date on those forms of ID

NC Governor admits: ‘I don’t know enough’ about parts of new voting restriction law | The Raw Story
but he will sign the bill into law, anyway
why? you might ask. because he was told to sign it

pat is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. but as mayor, he was fundamentally decent and surrounded himself with good people.
his former chief of staff is incredibly gifted and made mccrory look good
his current head of economic development, former chief of transition, john lassister, is a flaming reich wing asshole. i suspect these dreadful moves, aka "reforms", passed by the republican dominated house and senate, were made at lassister's direction

i voted for pat. he was a decent mayor. and is quickly becoming a terrible governor. don't believe he knows how to take his position as governor back out of lassiter's hands. quickly making north carolina a laughing stock

I never expected Pat to be someone who followed the standard "Right Wing Line" either from his time as Mayor.

He is surprising me quite a bit.

I never expected Pat to be someone who followed the standard "Right Wing Line" either from his time as Mayor.

He is surprising me quite a bit.

pat was a sports official back in the day
which is how we became acquainted, calling games together
never a great referee, but certainly an adequate one
and significantly, always a decent fellow ... which is why he got my vote
and his former chief of staff, Dennis, was first rate. he was the hidden secret to pat's mayoral success
but it now appears pat cannot put this neocon geenie back in the bottle

Once again, no one actually discusses the REAL source of voter fraud. It happens within the voting place by those working the poll, which generally are one party or the other. Now it also can be done electronically. Voting machines should be biometric. And numerical receipts for voting to each voter - not showing the votes cast - with a sequential number for which the computer can - upon court ordered security - state how the person specifically voted. A copy of the paper receipt ALSO must accompany the voting machine. This would eliminate essentially all voting fraud and making double voting without getting caught - or voting if not legal to so do - impossible.

Once again, no one actually discusses the REAL source of voter fraud. It happens within the voting place by those working the poll, which generally are one party or the other. Now it also can be done electronically. Voting machines should be biometric. And numerical receipts for voting to each voter - not showing the votes cast - with a sequential number for which the computer can - upon court ordered security - state how the person specifically voted. A copy of the paper receipt ALSO must accompany the voting machine. This would eliminate essentially all voting fraud and making double voting without getting caught - or voting if not legal to so do - impossible.

And that's it right there. Electoral fraud is committed by the 2 parties all the time. But voter ID requirements don't fix that. Which makes you wonder why one party favors it and the other opposes it......

It's all about who controls the process. If Repbulicans control the process, they're going to set it up so that Republicans have a better chance of winning. The question is "How does Voter ID accomplish that objective?"

Back
Top Bottom