• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate Republicans plan first subpoena in Burisma, Biden probe

Congress can ask the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia, a federal prosecutor, to bring criminal charges against a witness who refuses to appear. There is a criminal law that specifically prohibits flouting a congressional subpoena.

They didn't work in any of the Trump hearings since US attorneys work for the Trump DOJ. In this case, I'm sure the US attorney will be much more willing to enforce a "Benghazi 2.0" subpoena.

Alternatively, Congress (i.e., the Republican Senate) could get its lawyers to bring a civil lawsuit asking a judge to rule that compliance is required.

Failure to comply with such an order can trigger a “contempt of court” finding, enforced through daily fines and even imprisonment.

Finally, who's to say the Republican Senate won't find some friendly witnesses to support their smear campaign?

Who is to say that anybody other than a person living in the Trumpian Disinformation Apparatus silo will believe a single thing produced by a Lindsey Graham Senate Judiciary Committee. I certainly will ignore all of it because they deserve to be ignored. So Sorry...won't be making any headway with me regardless of what they do. Couple of years ago....maybe. Today....not a hope in Hell.

The Leftists are mad AF that the door is swinging back the other way. :lamo

They will subpoena Rudy Guiliani, who will deliver all the information he has obtained from his Russian pals.

Why hasn't he already presented it like he said he would many weeks ago?

This is what a fascist America looks like. We’re already there. Don’t expect trump/gops to give up the potus, at all.

No, this is what a fascist America looks like:

Bernie houses.jpg

Congressional Republicans would be well advised to just leave this subject alone. Republicans and the Trump administration won a huge victory demonstrating that impeachment probe was baseless hoax and a desperate move by the Democrats-- and the American people have already registered that fact in their minds, here in this election year.

Going after Biden now will just seem like the same thing the Dems did. And besides, any information that hurt the other candidate you hold in reserve until October. Litigating it for months and months doesn't work--- Americans hate that crap. The Bill Clinton impeachment was a disaster for the Republican, and the Trump impeachment debacle was the same for the Democrats.

Wrong the American public saw the senate's fake trial for what it was, a complete sham, and they will pay for it...

He did to to Barr and even he said Giulianis suitcase full of **** was not credible.

See what a million dollars of Russian money buys from someone in trumps circle?

"Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is preparing to subpoena a witness tied to Ukrainian natural gas company Burisma, in an escalation of the GOP probe of the firm that comes as former vice president Joe Biden’s fortunes are rising in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary.

"Trump and his allies have focused primarily on Biden’s push to have Ukraine’s top prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, removed — a position supported at the time by other Western leaders who said Shokin was not doing enough to root out corruption in Ukraine. The prosecutor had previously investigated Burisma, but the probe was dormant at the time, according to former Ukrainian and U.S. officials.

"If approved, Johnson’s move would mark the first subpoena Senate Republicans have issued in their probe into Biden and Burisma."

Kevin Drum:

Call it "Benghazi 2.0."

Great, I am anxious to hear what Trump and the Republicans have been talking about for the past six months. They have never said.

"These are questions that Joe Biden has not adequately answered," Johnson said. "And if I were a Democrat primary voter, I’d want these questions satisfactorily answered before I cast my final vote."

Again, great, what are those questions? Again, Johnson doesn't say. He just says there are questions.

This shadow conspiracy has been going for months. It is a fathom investigation bereft of a basis.

I challenge anyone to explain what the Bidens did wrong. Author of the subpoena, Johnson, a Trump lapdog, doesn't say.

Please keep us informed as his progress.

If any.

I would assume because he doesn't have any information. That fact will not stop him from claiming he does.

Attack dogs.

"Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.) is preparing to subpoena a witness tied to Ukrainian natural gas company Burisma, in an escalation of the GOP probe of the firm that comes as former vice president Joe Biden’s fortunes are rising in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary.

"Trump and his allies have focused primarily on Biden’s push to have Ukraine’s top prosecutor, Viktor Shokin, removed — a position supported at the time by other Western leaders who said Shokin was not doing enough to root out corruption in Ukraine. The prosecutor had previously investigated Burisma, but the probe was dormant at the time, according to former Ukrainian and U.S. officials.

"If approved, Johnson’s move would mark the first subpoena Senate Republicans have issued in their probe into Biden and Burisma."

Kevin Drum:

Call it "Benghazi 2.0."

Y'all had 3+ years investigating Trump so forgive me if your whining falls flat.

Y'all had 3+ years investigating Trump so forgive me if your whining falls flat.

And it's amazing how much corruption was uncovered in those three years.

Hands down the most corrupt administration in American history!!!

I challenge anyone to explain what the Bidens did wrong. Author of the subpoena, Johnson, a Trump lapdog, doesn't say.
If any.

The point isn't that there's smoke that needs investigating.

The point is to investigate. Leak bits of information to make it appear as bad as possible and keep the investigation in the headlines. Maybe some little misdemeanor will turn up that they can blow up into an ax murder, like they did with Benghazi or Hillary's emails.

The alternative is to sincerely address working class concerns, and the GOP just doesn't give a rip about that.

And it's amazing how much corruption was uncovered in those three years.

Hands down the most corrupt administration in American history!!!

Trump's campaign manager and cabinet members went to prison.

Well, that wasn't the point. But, now you open up this, the answer today is yes. Ukraine is now going back and opening up the investigation Biden forced through extortion to shut down concerning Barisma. The Democrats are going to elect a candidate for President who will be in jail when this is all over with. He's the real extorting person along with his boss, Barack.

Okay...do you guys just want to round up all Democrats and put them in jail?
I think it would be easier cuz you all sure wanna lock everyone up.

Well, you Democrats spent the last 3 years trying to lock up anyone associated with Trump including Trump. The problem with that was Trump wasn't the criminal. The Biden's were along with crooked Hillary, Pelosi, Shummer, Schiffty Schiff, Nadler and a whole bunch of others. Time for the reckoning of truth to come forth. Democrats are going to elect as their candidate for President either a Communist or an extortionist. Congratulations.

Congressional Republicans would be well advised to just leave this subject alone. Republicans and the Trump administration won a huge victory demonstrating that impeachment probe was baseless hoax and a desperate move by the Democrats-- and the American people have already registered that fact in their minds, here in this election year.

Going after Biden now will just seem like the same thing the Dems did. And besides, any information that hurt the other candidate you hold in reserve until October. Litigating it for months and months doesn't work--- Americans hate that crap. The Bill Clinton impeachment was a disaster for the Republican, and the Trump impeachment debacle was the same for the Democrats.

No, it wasn't the same for the democrats. The right wing in the Senate simply don't care about "truth and justice".

Well, you Democrats spent the last 3 years trying to lock up anyone associated with Trump including Trump. The problem with that was Trump wasn't the criminal. The Biden's were along with crooked Hillary, Pelosi, Shummer, Schiffty Schiff, Nadler and a whole bunch of others. Time for the reckoning of truth to come forth. Democrats are going to elect as their candidate for President either a Communist or an extortionist. Congratulations.

The right wing is worse.

The right wing is worse.

Worse than a Communist or Extortionist? When you say worse, what exactly do you mean? What has Trump done that angers you so much?

Not everyone. Just the criminals. Which is pretty much everyone.

Worse than a Communist or Extortionist? When you say worse, what exactly do you mean? What has Trump done that angers you so much?

Funny you should mention extortion. :roll:

Refusing the authority of the House for oversight and impeachment purposes is grounds for removal from that High Office.

He was not aborted. And now look at what we're stuck with.

If all democratic voters, and swing voters for that matter, don't get behind the eventual democratic nominee and get this organized crime family out of our White House then they're crazy.

Great, I am anxious to hear what Trump and the Republicans have been talking about for the past six months. They have never said.

"These are questions that Joe Biden has not adequately answered," Johnson said. "And if I were a Democrat primary voter, I’d want these questions satisfactorily answered before I cast my final vote."

Again, great, what are those questions? Again, Johnson doesn't say. He just says there are questions.

This shadow conspiracy has been going for months. It is a fathom investigation bereft of a basis.

If any.

The point isn't that there's smoke that needs investigating.

The point is to investigate. Leak bits of information to make it appear as bad as possible and keep the investigation in the headlines. Maybe some little misdemeanor will turn up that they can blow up into an ax murder, like they did with Benghazi or Hillary's emails.

The alternative is to sincerely address working class concerns, and the GOP just doesn't give a rip about that.

The point is Trump supporters are unable to come up with what is to be investigated.

The point is Trump supporters are unable to support Trump.

Again.

Back
Top Bottom