• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate passes sweeping bipartisan bill overhauling the US Postal Service

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

"The Senate on Tuesday passed sweeping bipartisan legislation to overhaul the US Postal Service's finances and allow the agency to modernize its operations.

The final vote was overwhelmingly bipartisan 79-19. The bill now heads to President Joe Biden's desk for his signature."

Great news.

Its nice to hear some good news.

This is really good news...

The Postal Service Reform Act -- which cleared the House last month by 342-92 -- would require retired postal employees to enroll in Medicare when eligible, while dropping a previous mandate that forced the agency to cover its health care costs years in advance. Those two measures would save the USPS nearly $50 billion over the next decade, according to the House Oversight Committee. The legislation would also require the USPS to create an online dashboard with local and national delivery time data.
Ahead of the vote on Tuesday, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer touted that once the legislation passes, postal reform will finally be "signed, sealed and delivered for the American people."

"We all know that when the post office is forced to cut hours of operation or delivery routes or lay off workers, the rest of us are worse off," Schumer said. "Thankfully, for the past few months, Democrats and Republicans have been working together in good faith to reform some of the most troubled parts of the Postal Service."

Next step is firing DeJoy....

$50 Billion in savings over the next decade. DedipshitJoy will take credit for this congressional action. You watch.

How do Bills get from Congress to the President's desk for signing? Any chance of it getting lost in the mail? If you get my meaning.

If they really wanted to do something for the American people they would cut down the amount of junk mail we receive.

"The Senate on Tuesday passed sweeping bipartisan legislation to overhaul the US Postal Service's finances and allow the agency to modernize its operations.

The final vote was overwhelmingly bipartisan 79-19. The bill now heads to President Joe Biden's desk for his signature."

Great news.
It's nice to see that the US Legislative Branch can govern something.

BTW, did the bill make provision to eliminate the time wasting entailed in having the Senate approve the name of each and every post office in the country?

Great news.
Why is this great news?

The big change it seems to be making is that it is transferring the burden of health insurance costs from the agency to the tax payers.

The elephant in the room is that the entire dept is antiquated and really needs to be reformed from the ground up.

Finally, Congress supporting the USPS instead of shitting on it. Good news.

How do Bills get from Congress to the President's desk for signing? Any chance of it getting lost in the mail? If you get my meaning.
Probably have a government-paid courier.

OR a volunteer staffer from one of the elected officials?

It seems some compromises were made, as it should be. A great 1st step with more to follow?
I am a bit puzzled by "The legislation would also require the USPS to create an online dashboard with local and national delivery time data." This is in addition to 'informed delivery', right?

If they really wanted to do something for the American people they would cut down the amount of junk mail we receive.
Junk mail delivery keeps our mail carriers on the payroll.

Great news.

Yay, I'm so thankful to the Senate for preserving my right to get massive piles of useless junk mail on Saturday, just like every other day of the week.

Yay, I'm so thankful to the Senate for preserving my right to get massive piles of useless junk mail on Saturday, just like every other day of the week.
you're not a business owner are you?

Back
Top Bottom