• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate panel passes bill seeking to curb illegal gun purchases

The only way to control private sales or gifts would be to institute a national registry...

sure, I have weapons I have owned for 30 years and ones my father owned since the 40s that he left me

who is to say when I sold it to you?

Thanks for the input, TD.

I found it hard to believe that a Federal form filled out at a Federally licensed dealer did not result in breaking a federal law!

what the LIVs and anti gun low wattage types fail to understand that the form clearly says if you admit you are a prohibited person you cannot buy a gun. So if You check ARE YOU A FELON the clerk denies you the sale RIGHT THEN-just as they DID 30 years ago. ITS ONLY IF YOU CERTIFY YOU CAN legally buy a gun is the BGC done

and I won't waste my time asking you how that can possibly be enforced on people who have no duty to maintain records of weapons they own or sell

You think there will be a large number of private sellers who will risk a 15 year prison sentence if they get caught knowingly selling guns to people that can't pass a background check?

You think there will be a large number of private sellers who will risk a 15 year prison sentence if they get caught knowingly selling guns to people that can't pass a background check?

How many people risk mandatory federal time for merely POSSESSING CRACK COCAINE

No, because nobody ever asks that question.

"I lost it" Not my fault the guy was in the right place at the right time to find it.

Yes, that and the fact that you are so sweet.......

I'm only described as sweet by those who want somethin'...or those under the influence of mind altering substances. So which is it, mister? :2razz:

You are right I mean how many people would risk 15 years to deal drugs ,.... oh wait a minute.

How many people risk mandatory federal time for merely POSSESSING CRACK COCAINE

Same thing for the law against murder. Should we repeal the law against murder?

That would only apply to guns bought from an FFL dealer. It would not apply to guns bought from private sellers.

So if I buy one from a private owner without a 4473 form, how will the government ever know it since it is illegal for them to keep a database of who owns what?

I'll save you getting dizzy. They won't. This law makes something that was already illegal (straw buying thru a dealer) even more illegaller.

Here is another one for you. What happens when the laws for purchasing get to be more of a pain in the keyster than they already are? At that point we go to manufacturing them. I can copy a receiver with a CNC machine (or with a 3D printer) and not register it because nobody knows it exists. Worried about getting caught with one that doesn't have serial numbers on it? Not a big deal, just stamp a real number on it (one you already have) and then sell the original. You've just cloned a gun. And how would officials know it's not original? They wouldn't. They are not allowed to maintain a registry, so there is no way for them to know if someone else has the same firearm with the same number on it. And when this happens (if it hasn't already) what will the net effect be? 270,000,001 guns out there instead of 270,000,000.

Same thing for the law against murder. Should we repeal the law against murder?

Why do progressives always fallback on ridiculous straw man arguments? I'm not aware of any honest person who has ever knowingly sold a weapon to someone he/she didn't trust or have no reason to distrust...

15 years is way too much time for a straw gun purchase.

I'm only described as sweet by those who want somethin'...or those under the influence of mind altering substances. So which is it, mister? :2razz:

Don't drink, toke or pop pills, and I have never done jail time.

I don't need anything, but am being simply honest, and addressing pure sweetness when I see it.

I certainly hope that my direct nature was not offensive to you.......:mrgreen:

($5 bucks says she just looked over her left shoulder!)

No, because nobody ever asks that question.

"Nobody ever" is a very risky statement in debate. The profit on a firearm purchase is not enough for any reasonable person to risk a felony for doing it. And it is a felony already. Another law to that effect will not make it even more felony.

Um, straw purchases are already illegal.

So we're back to re-passing laws that are already on the books? I guess it's a safe and easy way to show us that they are doing SOMETHING, but what a waste of time! It's a darned good thing that we don't have more pressing items to contend with at the moment, like joblessness and the debt, isn't it? I can't believe it! :bs:

So we're back to re-passing laws that are already on the books? I guess it's a safe and easy way to show us that they are doing SOMETHING, but what a waste of time! It's a darned good thing that we don't have more pressing items to contend with at the moment, like joblessness and the debt, isn't it? I can't believe it! :bs:

Polgara showing your teeth! Well done! And good evening.:cool:

(Reuters) - "The Senate Judiciary Committee on Thursday backed President Barack Obama's call to crack down on illegal trafficking of firearms, marking the first votes in Congress on gun-control since a school massacre last year prompted calls for action.

On a largely party-line vote of 11-7, the Democratic-led committee approved a bill to make it a federal crime to engage in "straw purchasing," or buying of guns on behalf of those who are prohibited from owning them.

"It is designed to prevent criminals from using straw purchasers who can pass a background check and then hand those firearms to criminals," Chairman Patrick Leahy, a Vermont Democrat, said. The bill imposes a maximum sentence of 15 years in prison."

Senate panel passes bill seeking to curb illegal gun purchases | Reuters

How do you prove a straw purchase? Meaning, short of surveillance at a gun show or an undercover sting operation, how do you prove that the straw purchaser indented to immediately turn around sell the gun to someone he knew to be prohibited.

I'm guessing, prohibited people caught with a gun can be offered a lighter sentence if they give up the person who sold them the gun. But you'd still have to prove the straw person had prior knowledge that the prohibited person was prohibited.

We need to eliminate that standard. Selling a gun privately without doing a background check should open you up to criminal and civil liability.

Republican critics of the bill argued the measure was not needed, saying existing laws were adequate. They also warned it could send someone to jail even if they did not know the ultimate buyer was not permitted to own a gun.

If you don't want to go to jail, then go to your local licensed gun dealer and do a background check.

Yea, it just makes you want to wretch, doesn't it?

My guess is that they want a piece of paper they can wave around and say 'Hey, we did do something' - you know, the old shiny trinket game with voters.

Bunch of redundant fools they are.......(look up redundant in the dictionary, and it says 'see Congress').

Back
Top Bottom