• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Senate Judiciary Committee recommends Alito confirmation

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
The vote was 10-8--right along with party lines.

I am interested to see which democrats will support him when it goes to the full Senate.

You get what you pay for the saying goes.You elect a conservative president.He appoints conservative judges.
The bridge ispector from Massachusetts attempts at character assasination didn't succed. Or the false fairness of senators Schumer and Fienstine didn't fool anyone.

aps said:

I am interested to see which democrats will support him when it goes to the full Senate.

And the Democrats prove that they are only interested in one issue, whether or not a woman can kill her baby for whatever reason she chooses and at any time up to the moment of birth. That's the ONLY issue that was of any relivence to them in this matter. It all got down to abortion.

My prediction. Drum roll, please:

Bush will get to send up another Supreme Court nominee before his term is over, bringing his total impact on the court to 3 justices.

:2wave:

Stinger said:
And the Democrats prove that they are only interested in one issue, whether or not a woman can kill her baby for whatever reason she chooses and at any time up to the moment of birth. That's the ONLY issue that was of any relivence to them in this matter. It all got down to abortion.

I thouht there was a new democrat party.One that had values and knew how to talk to, the folks.
The democrats harping on Abortion just proved,their still the party of, DEATH !

aps said:

Nelson from Nebraska, maybe Leiberman and Bayh...He will get a little over 60 votes.......

KCConservative said:
My prediction. Drum roll, please:

Bush will get to send up another Supreme Court nominee before his term is over, bringing his total impact on the court to 3 justices.

:2wave:

I think your right..One of the liberals is 85, in ill health and will probably retire...........That Judge will swing the courty for sure to the right and there will be one hell of a fight..It should be fun.........

Navy Pride said:
I think your right..One of the liberals is 85, in ill health and will probably retire...........That Judge will swing the courty for sure to the right and there will be one hell of a fight..It should be fun.........

If that's true, Senator Kennedy will personally drive the corpse to work everyday and declare he's alive a la Weekend at Bernie's until 2009....

Stinger said:

So, Stinger, shall we talk about Harriett Myers? Why do you think her own party was so against her nomination? Huh? They went nuts after the president nominated her. Do you think it was because they thought that she wasn't smart enough? Not pretty enough?

Nope. Their problem was that they felt they couldn't count on her overruling Roe v. Wade. There is Bush on the White House lawn assuring them that he knows how she will vote. I could not fathom how the Republicans in Congress didn't believe him. But she had no judicial record showing how she would vote on the abortion issue, so they wanted her out.

So, think again when you claim that only the Dems are solely interested in the abortion issue. NOT SO.

Navy Pride said:
Nelson from Nebraska, maybe Leiberman and Bayh...He will get a little over 60 votes.......

I am interseted to see if Feingold votes for him.

aps said:
So, Stinger, shall we talk about Harriett Myers? Why do you think her own party was so against her nomination? Huh? They went nuts after the president nominated her. Do you think it was because they thought that she wasn't smart enough? Not pretty enough?

Nope. Their problem was that they felt they couldn't count on her overruling Roe v. Wade. There is Bush on the White House lawn assuring them that he knows how she will vote. I could not fathom how the Republicans in Congress didn't believe him. But she had no judicial record showing how she would vote on the abortion issue, so they wanted her out.

So, think again when you claim that only the Dems are solely interested in the abortion issue. NOT SO.
I'm gonna need to see where you got that...not from op-ed pieces or pundits making speculations...Actual words from Senators that say that's the only reason...

And don't give me that "oh you know what they wanted" crap...

Miers never served as a judge and her critics said her background as an attorney, a former head of the Texas State Bar Association and as a Dallas city council member provided few clues to her judicial philosophy.

Democrats and Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee had asked for documents she had worked on as the White House's top lawyer. The president refused, calling the request "a red line I'm not willing to cross."

In a letter to the president on Thursday, Miers said she was concerned that she would be called upon to testify about her service as White House counsel, which she said would jeopardize the independence of the Executive branch.

"I am concerned that the confirmation process presents a burden for the White House and its staff and it is not in the best interest of the country," she wrote.

In a statement issued by the White House, Bush said, "It is clear that senators would not be satisfied until they gained access to internal documents concerning advice provided during her tenure at the White House -- disclosures that would undermine a president's ability to receive candid counsel."

But Kansas Republican Sen. Sam Brownbeck suggested the line could have been drawn somewhere else to avoid the impasse.

"We were not asking for documents regarding attorney-client privilege -- or privileged communications," he said. We were saying 'show us documents of policy issues discussions,' so we could get some framework of her policy views."

I went with CNN, so you don't think I had to find a right-wing source for this...

From another CNN article...which sounds like the OPPOSITE of what your saying...

Dobson said Rove told him the nominee is "an evangelical Christian; that she is from a very conservative church, which is almost universally pro-life; that she had taken on the American Bar Association on the issue of abortion and fought for a policy that would not be supportive of abortion."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/10/12/miers.religion/index.html

She's an Evangelical who's been to anti-abortion fundraisers...And keep in mind that she withdrew...she was not forced out like some want to claim with a wink...

But more importantly...

Why does EVERY justice come down to Roe v. Wade?...Do you realize how lame that is?

cnredd said:
Why does EVERY justice come down to Roe v. Wade?...Do you realize how lame that is?
I agree. Abortion is a never-to-be resolved issue, yet everyone has an opinion....even judges. She is allowed to have a personal viewpoint. She was also professional enough to adhere to the rule of law.

cnredd said:
But more importantly...

I totally agree with you there. Based on what I have read, though, it was Ronald Reagan who made abortion an issue.

Senators may not have said anything about not knowing how Myers would rule on abortion, but Republican strategists did. Pat Buchanan said that republicans were outraged because they have been waiting for decades now to get enough people on the Supreme Court to overrule Roe v. Wade and that they could not be assured that Myers would have done that. I'll do the research for this a little later today and post it in this thread.

cnredd said:
If that's true, Senator Kennedy will personally drive the corpse to work everyday and declare he's alive a la Weekend at Bernie's until 2009....

ROTFLMAO......:rofl

aps said:
I am interseted to see if Feingold votes for him.

Not a chance in hell Feingold will vote for him...He voted against him on the judiciary committee........

At first I like Harriet Miers as the nominee...But the more I heard about her experience I started having my doubts........Now I am glad she pulled her nomination.........Alito is a much better nominee......

Navy Pride said:
Not a chance in hell Feingold will vote for him...He voted against him on the judiciary committee........

Why did I think that Feingold was NOT on that committee? Okay, then he's voting aginst Alito. I'll have to read his reasons. He had supported Roberts.

aps said:

No not qualified enough.

Nope. Their problem was that they felt they couldn't count on her overruling Roe v. Wade.
There is Bush on the White House lawn assuring them that he knows how she will vote.

Her problem was her overall qualifications. But had she made it through the committee the Republicans would have voted to confirm her as opposed to the Democrats who to a tee voted against Alito solely on the basis that they are afraid he vote against a woman killing her unborn child.

By their own words that is why they will vote against her.

aps said:
Pat Buchanan said that republicans were outraged because they have been waiting for decades now to get enough people on the Supreme Court to overrule Roe v. Wade and that they could not be assured that Myers would have done that. I'll do the research for this a little later today and post it in this thread.

Here is what Buchannan said on MSNBC

This is not to disparage Harriet Miers. From all accounts, she is a gracious lady who has spent decades in the law and served ably as Bush’s lawyer in Texas and, for a year, as White House counsel.But her qualifications for the Supreme Court are non-existent. She is not a brilliant jurist, indeed, has never been a judge. She is not a scholar of the law. Researchers are hard-pressed to dig up an opinion. She has not had a brilliant career in politics, the academy, the corporate world or public forum. Were she not a friend of Bush, and female, she would never have even been considered.
getCSS("3088867")

What commended her to the White House, in the phrase of the hour, is that she “has no paper trail.” So far as one can see, this is Harriet Miers’ principal qualification for the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8789892

In the entire statement not one word on abortion.

But for the Dems who say out one side of thier mouths that abortion is not thier only issue it IS the only issue with regard to Alito, In others words they will never vote for a Supreme Court Justice unless he/she pledges, not matter what legal case is brought before them, they will not vote to overturn RoevWade.

Stinger said:
Here is what Buchannan said on MSNBC

This is not to disparage Harriet Miers. From all accounts, she is a gracious lady who has spent decades in the law and served ably as Bush’s lawyer in Texas and, for a year, as White House counsel.But her qualifications for the Supreme Court are non-existent. She is not a brilliant jurist, indeed, has never been a judge. She is not a scholar of the law. Researchers are hard-pressed to dig up an opinion. She has not had a brilliant career in politics, the academy, the corporate world or public forum. Were she not a friend of Bush, and female, she would never have even been considered.
getCSS("3088867")

What commended her to the White House, in the phrase of the hour, is that she “has no paper trail.” So far as one can see, this is Harriet Miers’ principal qualification for the U.S. Supreme Court.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8789892

In the entire statement not one word on abortion.

But for the Dems who say out one side of thier mouths that abortion is not thier only issue it IS the only issue with regard to Alito, In others words they will never vote for a Supreme Court Justice unless he/she pledges, not matter what legal case is brought before them, they will not vote to overturn RoevWade.

Hi Stinger. How funny--in trying to do my research for cnredd (which I will not be able to do today because I am too busy and stressed about some unrelated board stuff), I found that exact blogger as well. I watched the Hardball show when he was on it. He unquestionably stated that the republicans have been waiting for decades for the Supreme Court to go to the right and that they were furious with Bush's pick of Harriet Myers. He specifically mentioned the overturning of Roe v. Wade. I may still try to find the transcript from that show because I remember his interview vividly. I am just not sure how long they keep the transcripts available.

Okay, Stinger, I just found it. Woo hoo! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9600822/

When he mentions Roe, it in connection with talking about how Nixon nominated Justice Blackmun and how he was the author of Roe. He mentioned other appointees that had disappointed the right because they had swung to the left. He talks about O'Connor being the swing vote. She was the swing vote in Roe. I still believe his beef with Miers was truly related to Roe.

Last edited:
aps said:
Why did I think that Feingold was NOT on that committee? Okay, then he's voting aginst Alito. I'll have to read his reasons. He had supported Roberts.

Roberts replaced Renquist.......A Conservative replacing a Conservative......Alito is replacing a moderate..............

I am beginning to believe the only dem who will vote for Alito is Nelson.........He is between a rock and a hard place because he is from a very Conservative state and there is a congressman by the name of Tom Osborne who is the EX Coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers and is one of the most popular men in the state....Oh and he is a Conservative.....

I think it is clear that Alito will get the 51 votes for confirmation,,,,,,,,,I am watching CSPAN now and he already has 49..............The only thing that can slow him down is a filibuster and if the dems do that the leader will invoke the Constitutional option..................

Navy Pride said:
Roberts replaced Renquist.......A Conservative replacing a Conservative......Alito is replacing a moderate..............

I am beginning to believe the only dem who will vote for Alito is Nelson.........He is between a rock and a hard place because he is from a very Conservative state and there is a congressman by the name of Tom Osborne who is the EX Coach of the Nebraska Cornhuskers and is one of the most popular men in the state....Oh and he is a Conservative.....

I think it is clear that Alito will get the 51 votes for confirmation,,,,,,,,,I am watching CSPAN now and he already has 49..............The only thing that can slow him down is a filibuster and if the dems do that the leader will invoke the Constitutional option..................

The Dems have stated that they won't do a filibuster. While you might not consider them to be credible, I think they will stand by their decision NOT to filibuster. Finally, they make a smart decision. *sigh*

aps said:
The Dems have stated that they won't do a filibuster. While you might not consider them to be credible, I think they will stand by their decision NOT to filibuster. Finally, they make a smart decision. *sigh*

Did you know that the 2 liberal judges that Clinton nominated got 96 and 89 votes?.........Many Conservative republicans said they disagreed with her on almost every issue but they felt it was the presidents right to have people of his political persuasion on the SCOTUS...........

I wonder why it does not work the same way when a republican is president?

Navy Pride said:
Did you know that the 2 liberal judges that Clinton nominated got 96 and 89 votes?.........Many Conservative republicans said they disagreed with her on almost every issue but they felt it was the presidents right to have people of his political persuasion on the SCOTUS...........

I wonder why it does not work the same way when a republican is president?

Yes, I am aware of Ginsburg and Breyers positive votes. However, I must point out that Clinton went to Hatch and asked him for names of people that the republicans could confirm. Ginsburg and Breyer's names were on the list. Thus, Clinton received approval from the chairman of the judiciary committee prior to the nomination. Thus, their high number of positive votes is not surprising.

Regardless, I totally agree with you regarding Bush's nominations. I think the Democrats' problem is that they had been so used to running the Senate that they forget how to behave appropriately. I think this is nothing but a tantrum on their part because they are not in control and cannot grasp the fact that Bush should be entitled to nominate judges who support his line of thinking.

aps said:
Yes, I am aware of Ginsburg and Breyers positive votes. However, I must point out that Clinton went to Hatch and asked him for names of people that the republicans could confirm. Ginsburg and Breyer's names were on the list. Thus, Clinton received approval from the chairman of the judiciary committee prior to the nomination. Thus, their high number of positive votes is not surprising.

Regardless, I totally agree with you regarding Bush's nominations. I think the Democrats' problem is that they had been so used to running the Senate that they forget how to behave appropriately. I think this is nothing but a tantrum on their part because they are not in control and cannot grasp the fact that Bush should be entitled to nominate judges who support his line of thinking.

Yes I know that Clinton went to Hatch and he respected the presidents right to have his nominees approved...........I am pretty sure that GWB went to the dems leaders too on Roberts but not on Alito..........There was probably no point in doing it because the dems would never approve oa Alito even though he got and outstanding grade from the ABA and from his fellow judges on the 3rd cricuit court...............

I agree with you that a perk you get for being elected president is being able to niminate a candidate of your ideology but as you can see that is not happening..........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom