• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate expenses scandal

Juiposa

is totally not a robot.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
This entire scandal has balloon to include so many people and has become very deep, I feel the whole thing deserves its own thread.

Synopsis:

It was originally announced in February that four Senators; Mike Duffy, Pamela Wallin, Mac Harb, and Patrick Brazeau; would be subject to an audit to determine the appropriateness of their expenses claims.
All four, especially Duffy and Wallin, were determined to have made fraudulent claims with regards to their residences.

Wallin had her primary residence listed as her home province as Saskatchewan, an as such, could claim travel costs to and fro. The audit revealed that in the past two years she has claimed $370,000 in travel expenses.

Duffy had claimed that his primary residence was in PEI, and had been fraudulently collecting housing costs, despite having lived in Ottawa for decades.

Duffy's story expands, as he was ordered to repay $90,172 that he was determined to have claimed fraudulently, which he did. It is then revealed that Nigel Wright, the Prime Minister's Chief of Staff had wrote Duffy a personal cheque for that exact amount, $90,172. Harper claims to have not known, but this is doubtable as the man who runs his office payed a Conservative Senator the exact amount.

Wright resigns, and Harper accepts the resignation, and states Wright still has his full support.

The RCMP are now involved. Their investigation has revealed that more than just Wright knew about that now infamous cheque, a staffer in the PMO did as well.

The issue here has moved passed Duffy, and threatens Harper directly. If Harper truly didn't know: How can he be trusted to run an effective government when elements in his own damned office are working under his nose, especially when it is his right-had-man in the PMO. If Harper did know: He should found in contempt of Parliament on the grounds of perjury. He has stated repeatedly that he didn't know during question periods, and if he did know, that is the end of his tenure.

What would happen if this sort of stuff happened in the United States? If Senators (who are directly elected in the United States, unlike here) are stealing money wholesale from taxpayers?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
This entire scandal has balloon to include so many people and has become very deep, I feel the whole thing deserves its own thread.

Synopsis:

It was originally announced in February that four Senators; Mike Duffy, Pamela Wallin, Mac Harb, and Patrick Brazeau; would be subject to an audit to determine the appropriateness of their expenses claims.
All four, especially Duffy and Wallin, were determined to have made fraudulent claims with regards to their residences.

Wallin had her primary residence listed as her home province as Saskatchewan, an as such, could claim travel costs to and fro. The audit revealed that in the past two years she has claimed $370,000 in travel expenses.

Duffy had claimed that his primary residence was in PEI, and had been fraudulently collecting housing costs, despite having lived in Ottawa for decades.

Duffy's story expands, as he was ordered to repay $90,172 that he was determined to have claimed fraudulently, which he did. It is then revealed that Nigel Wright, the Prime Minister's Chief of Staff had wrote Duffy a personal cheque for that exact amount, $90,172. Harper claims to have not known, but this is doubtable as the man who runs his office payed a Conservative Senator the exact amount.

Wright resigns, and Harper accepts the resignation, and states Wright still has his full support.

The RCMP are now involved. Their investigation has revealed that more than just Wright knew about that now infamous cheque, a staff in the PMO did as well.

The issue here has moved passed Duffy, and threatens Harper directly. If Harper truly didn't know: How can he be trusted to run an effective government when elements in his own damned office are working under his nose, especially when it is his right-had-man in the PMO. If Harper did know: He should found in contempt of Parliament on the grounds of perjury. His has stated repeatedly that he didn't know during question periods, and if he did, that is the end of his tenure.

What would happen if this sort of stuff happened in the United States? If Senators (who are directly elected in the United States, unlike here) are stealing money wholesale from taxpayers?

Thoughts?

At first I thought you WERE talking about the United States. I think we ought to look into it. It's undoubtedly going on. :rofl

At first I thought you WERE talking about the United States. I think we ought to look into it. It's undoubtedly going on. :rofl

I did too, then I wondered why this is a scandal since this sort of thing is undoubtedly going on. Why wouldn't it? If you question any spending by the Untied States Government then you want Somalian anarchy.

I have no doubt either, but what would happen if it were to get into the open? Would the population react strongly in the negative, and demand these Senators heads' on pikes? Or would the population be indifferent to the theft and fraudulent use of THEIR money entrusted to the government, and be complacent in the whole ordeal, not really caring? Because I can tell you, the latter is happening in Canada right now.

I have no doubt either, but what would happen if it were to get into the open? Would the population react strongly in the negative, and demand these Senators heads' on pikes? Or would the population be indifferent to the theft and fraudulent use of THEIR money entrusted to the government, and be complacent in the whole ordeal, not really caring? Because I can tell you, the latter is happening in Canada right now.

This one.

Look at the multimillion dollar Las Vegas "conferences."

The entire Senate is a waste of money.

It's amazing what actually happens in Canadian politics. We need a Triple-E Senate, reform is long overdue.

There are many countries that have no Senate and a few that have abolished theirs without any consequences to governing.

Facts | Abolish The Senate

I agree it's an anachronistic, un necessary and reward system of political patronage that has proven to be a dumping ground for many incompetent losers that indulge openly in malfeasance until now with little to NO oversight. Imagine, these patronage appointees were left to claim expenses and the like (OUR TAX MONEY) on their honor. Give me a break!

Yes! I have no doubt either, but what would happen if it were to get into the open? Would the population react strongly in the negative, and demand these Senators heads' on pikes? Or would the population be indifferent to the theft and fraudulent use of THEIR money entrusted to the government, and be complacent in the whole ordeal, not really caring? Because I can tell you, the latter is happening in Canada right now..........

Back
Top Bottom