• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

senate dems not looking so good in hearings

Stu Ghatze

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
No, ..they are not. Guilt by association, smear tactics etc. Why....Judge Alito is white, republican, & conservative, & therefore, ..he "must" be seen as a racist, a homophobe, a sexist, & the greatest threat to civil rights.

Somehow all these sublime messages are NOT sticking; ..& listening callers on C-span are describing most of these senate democrat inquisitors behavior as reprehensible.

Gee, maybe these poll loving democrats will try to have C-span coverage eliminated from public viewing one day when they realize how bad they do REALLY look, & act when they are so desperate to hang on to activist court rulings (abortion) that never could pass the muster test for legal legislated law!

Senate democrats= "we're melting, we're melting,...ahh curses"! :smile:

Stu Ghatze said:
No, ..they are not. Guilt by association, smear tactics etc. Why....Judge Alito is white, republican, & conservative, & therefore, ..he "must" be seen as a racist, a homophobe, a sexist, & the greatest threat to civil rights.

Somehow all these sublime messages are NOT sticking; ..& listening callers on C-span are describing most of these senate democrat inquisitors behavior as reprehensible.

Gee, maybe these poll loving democrats will try to have C-span coverage eliminated from public viewing one day when they realize how bad they do REALLY look, & act when they are so desperate to hang on to activist court rulings (abortion) that never could pass the muster test for legal legislated law!

Senate democrats= "we're melting, we're melting,...ahh curses"! :smile:

On a more serious note, I watched some of the questions that Schumer asked Alito yesterday, and it p*ssed me off. He was interrupting Alito and being an a$$hole. I normally like Schumer because I find him very articulate, but this has made me see him in a different light. He was condescending. What the hell is the point of being that way when you're (1) trying to understand someone's thought processes and (2) dealing with someone who is smarter than you (as I would be shocked if Schumer was smarter than Alito). Regardless, that kind of treatment towards someone is totally uncalled for. Grrrrrrr The more I see the dems treat Alito badly, the more I believe he should be confirmed. They are acting like kids who are throwing a tantrum. Grow the hell up. We all know he'll get confirmed. I have not seen any reason whatsoever for a filibuster, and if the dems want to do it, they better get ready to deal with the consequences.

aps said:
On a more serious note, I watched some of the questions that Schumer asked Alito yesterday, and it p*ssed me off. He was interrupting Alito and being an a$$hole. I normally like Schumer because I find him very articulate, but this has made me see him in a different light. He was condescending. What the hell is the point of being that way when you're (1) trying to understand someone's thought processes and (2) dealing with someone who is smarter than you (as I would be shocked if Schumer was smarter than Alito). Regardless, that kind of treatment towards someone is totally uncalled for. Grrrrrrr The more I see the dems treat Alito badly, the more I believe he should be confirmed. They are acting like kids who are throwing a tantrum. Grow the hell up. We all know he'll get confirmed. I have not seen any reason whatsoever for a filibuster, and if the dems want to do it, they better get ready to deal with the consequences.

Dear Aps, ..excellent point you made & I respect you for your honesty!

Like I said in the other Alito thread, these hearings are ridiculous. The senators don't give a **** about hearing what Alito has to say; it's just an opportunity for them to grandstand.

They really should have a panel of lawyers, judges, and legal scholars ask Alito questions instead of the Senate, which asks some of the dumbest questions I've ever heard. Hopefully intelligent legal minds would be able to ask questions that could give us some insight into Alito's thoughts on the Constitution without causing him to prejudge any cases.

From blogger "TigerHawk" Interesting "thought experiment" on T. Kenndy's hypcrital questioning of Alito:

"But the fact of the Congressional subpoena power does not make Teddy Kennedy any less a hypocrite in demanding the coercive extraction of the records of a political organization. We need to say it again: Senator Kennedy took the scary position that it was just and appropriate for the Congress to extract by coercion the private, internal records of a political advocacy group just because it was considering the nomination of a person who had once been a member of that organization.

To understand how weird this is, consider the following "thought experiment": If the next Democratic SCOTUS nominee once belonged to the American Civil Liberties Union(as Ruth Bader Ginsburg actually did) and, say, Sam Brownback proposed issuing a subpoena for the "records" of the ACLU to help him "understand" the nominee's testimony, what do you imagine the reaction of the mainstream media might be? The implications of Senator Kennedy's demand for freedom of speech and association are appalling. Where's the outrage?"

Another blogger, Dean Barnett, notes the irony:

"Because of this and Kennedy's contretemps with Arlen Specter, Ted Kenndy became the public face of the Alito opposition.

So, in the public’s eyes, it is now Ted Kennedy who purports to judge the character of Sam Alito. Ted Kennedy – the heavy drinking guy whose immorality actually has a body-count. Liberals could argue that Kennedy has put his life together and now is an admirable lion in winter, but the indisputable fact is that west of Cambridge, Ted Kennedy is a joke, someone who has been consistent fodder for late night talk show hosts for almost four decades. Obviously if this thing comes down to Kennedy versus Alito, the Kennedy side loses."

Just my impression, ymmv: Senate Dems know that Alito's nomination is inevitable. They know that they can't persuade the public. All they can do now is put on a show that will appease the elites who lead the special interest groups to whom these people are beholden for their campaign contributions.

Stu Ghatze said:
Dear Aps, ..excellent point you made & I respect you for your honesty!

Hi Stu! Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. I am just so disappointed to see the dems behaving like this.

aps said:
Hi Stu! Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. I am just so disappointed to see the dems behaving like this.

I know that I post some unfavorible things about senate democrats, & honestly they irritate the h--- out of me. I would love to be a democrat as I once was, ..but that as over 3-decades ago.

I'am so disgusted in the fashion that a once great party so disintegrated, & represents hardly anything that it once did.

I tell you, ...there was a time when many of the things the repubs claim as their own that dems actually embraced long before.

IMO, ..the modern dem party is alienating many many good voting supporters by its so far off the wall left leaning philosophical differences on many issues.

Stu Ghatze said:
...I'am so disgusted in the fashion that a once great party so disintegrated, & represents hardly anything that it once did.

I tell you, ...there was a time when many of the things the repubs claim as their own that dems actually embraced long before.

IMO, ..the modern dem party is alienating many many good voting supporters by its so far off the wall left leaning philosophical differences on many issues.

I didn't discover political debate forums until right after the 2002 winter olympics and found some Europeans at another site who truly hated the US and it's citizens. From there I discovered that there was a real nasty divide between some rep/cons and some dem/libs.
I voted democrat based on the person. I delegated for Sen. Paul Simon. He represented what I felt was important. I voted for Carter because of the same thing. I vote for Rep. Sen Charles Grassley for those reasons and because all his constituency is important to him. He is a fine, honorable, decent man. Until recently I felt the same about Dem. Sen Tom Harkin.
What really turned me against the rep/con party was it's supporters and their strident caterwauling against anyone who opposes Bush.
After all that, I really dislike it when I find that I agree with a rep/con. :mrgreen:
Good points Stu.

I have a question; Do you rep/cons feel all democratic senators or congressmen are cut of the same cloth as Shumer, Kennedy and their ilk? Are there any you would consider for a national position? And why?
Same for you dem/libs; Any republican representatives you would support? If you couldn't tell, I would back Sen. Grassley, but I think he is happy being the distinguished gentleman from Iowa.
I would like to know what others feel and why, since we are only two years away from the Iowa caucuses and I would like to atone for my support of Edwards after what I have learned.
ted

Americans,silly as they are expect United States senators to act with some dignity and class.Senator Kennedy's attempt to vilify judge Alito was a disgrace.Especialy since no one believed a word of it.
It showed what an ideologue the Senator was and how out of his " Depth " he was.

Kandahar said:
Like I said in the other Alito thread, these hearings are ridiculous. The senators don't give a **** about hearing what Alito has to say; it's just an opportunity for them to grandstand.
True. Biden spoke for nearly 15 minutes without ever asking Alito a single question. He just rambled on and then his time was up. It was hysterical.

Paladin said:
I didn't discover political debate forums until right after the 2002 winter olympics and found some Europeans at another site who truly hated the US and it's citizens. From there I discovered that there was a real nasty divide between some rep/cons and some dem/libs.
I voted democrat based on the person. I delegated for Sen. Paul Simon. He represented what I felt was important. I voted for Carter because of the same thing. I vote for Rep. Sen Charles Grassley for those reasons and because all his constituency is important to him. He is a fine, honorable, decent man. Until recently I felt the same about Dem. Sen Tom Harkin.
What really turned me against the rep/con party was it's supporters and their strident caterwauling against anyone who opposes Bush.
After all that, I really dislike it when I find that I agree with a rep/con. :mrgreen:
Good points Stu.

I have a question; Do you rep/cons feel all democratic senators or congressmen are cut of the same cloth as Shumer, Kennedy and their ilk? Are there any you would consider for a national position? And why?
Same for you dem/libs; Any republican representatives you would support? If you couldn't tell, I would back Sen. Grassley, but I think he is happy being the distinguished gentleman from Iowa.
I would like to know what others feel and why, since we are only two years away from the Iowa caucuses and I would like to atone for my support of Edwards after what I have learned.
ted

Dear "Have gun will travel" (Paladin)..huh huh, ..I used to love that old western T.V. series.

Seriously, ...I think that the modern democratic party is WAY too over the top "liberal", & they enjoy obstructing almost anything the president wants.

Now...i'm not saying all are as bad as Chuckie Schumer, Harry Reid, Ted kennedy, or Dick Durbin, ..but they generally give in to those senators rather than thinking independently, ..or so it seems.

I have found that good, moral honest democrats such as Joe Lieberman are NOT well thought of by MOST of his fellow democratic senators because he is NOT all that far to the left as they are.

AS far as Tom Harkin is concerned, ...I have NOT heard him recently; but what i have heard come out of his mouth is not any real mean spirited language, & i give him credit for that, ..but he does seem to enjoy the ; "I got you's" when trying to make a point in the past that I casually remember.

I have NO problem with people disagreeing honestly with Bush; ..I just hate some of those idiotic insane conspiracy stories & those that are invented to make him look like a racist, a homophobe, a hater, a murderer, ..& being labeled the greatest threat to civil rights etc, & those LIBERALS that like to say that he wants to steal & exploit from the poor.

IMO, ..Bush is hated so much by many(mostly the ultra liberals) within the democratic party leadership because he does not cut deals with dems very often, & once he makes up his mind, ..he follows through on what he says he is going to do! Besides the fact of their villainizing of Bush has not really worked as well as they had hoped, & Bush is basically getting what HE wants, ..& they are angry, & just livid about it all. Much of their "lets get Bush" at all costs have not been working.

Edwards, ..the former VP running mate of John Kerry?? I don't think him a bad person, ..but he IS an ideologue...& he does take care of himself financially while suing others while exploiting other peoples misery, ..or perhaps looking for reasons to sue for his clients, thus driving up the cost of hospital care etc.

Is Edwards really concerned about the health, & well being of others who have legal grievances, & grounds to sue....or is he just opportunistic so he can get his one third cut??

Some of his legal suits seemed rather frivolous in nature on behalf of some of his clients, ..& almost quite a reach in order to garner a successful suit??

As I noted, ..many many repubs respect, & like Lieberman, yours truly included, ..BUT the democratic party leadership at large would NEVER permit Lieberman much of a say as he is not considered a strong, or vocal critic enough of Bush, & he is not anti-republican enough for THEM!

Paladin said:
Good points Stu.

ted

Hey Ted, How are you these days?.. I would have to agree with Stu Ghatze in much of what he replied and I have always said if Joe Lieberman ran I would seriously consider voting for him, but I could never vote for him if someone like Gore was his running mate.

There is a big difference between a liberal and a Dem the way I see it, Libs are to radical and full of hate. I could and would vote for a reasonable Dem if he serves my intrest over any other candidate. I see you put yourself in the lib category but to be honest, I do not see you that way- I see you as a Dem because I know you give Bush and other conservatives credit when you feel it is due, and when it is not in you op you are not full of hate. Any way, I`m glad to see ya again. Andrew....

Back
Top Bottom