• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate deals blow to 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in 56-43 vote

yes, this was purely a political ploy

and it exploded in the speaker's perplexed puss

unfortunately, leadership is simply clueless

Gay rights groups were upset that the process Reid employed may have undermined progress in repealing the Pentagon’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy prohibiting gays from serving openly in the military.

Hispanic groups were disappointed that they couldn’t even get a vote on a narrow piece of comprehensive immigration reform — an amendment known as the DREAM Act that would have enabled citizenship for illegal immigrant students in exchange for government or military service.

And Democrats on both sides of the Capitol are unhappy that a debate on gay rights and immigration distracted yet again from issue No. 1: jobs.

Harry Reid?s botched battles - Manu Raju and Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com

hang in

The next 2 years are going to suck for Republicans a great deal. They won't be able to do ****.

please watch your language

we are in opposition, friend, he's still president

respect yourself, hang in

please watch your language

we are in opposition, friend, he's still president

respect yourself, hang in

I will say whatever the **** whenever the **** I want and however the **** I want.

I hope you enjoy your party's wins because they don't matter worth **** now. They have been stalling economic recovery in order to get re-elected, well maybe it is time they get a taste of their own ****ing medicine.

Last edited:
We should just change the constitution to say 60 votes in the senate already. That's the point we've come to anyway, thanks to the idiotic filibuster rules the Senate has.

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
It's a great strategy to chalk this up to a failure of leadership by Reid and Obama. This way the blame for what happens is pulled off the Senators who participated in the filibuster, and whether you're for or against the repeal of DATD you can vent your frustration on the two of them rather than on the Senators who are actually at fault here.

I think what you must have meant to say was these two can get the credit for stopping the attempt to pass the Dream act cloaked in the Military spending Bill and all it is, is a stealth Amnesty Plan. All the Left has done is lie about who it covers for days.

By the way Reid actually did vote against his own Bill so he could try to bring it back in the Lame Duck session. With any luck it will fail again then.

Prof,

No Super Majority means no progress for Republican positions. Not only can they not get 60 votes in the Senate, but they also can't get Obama to sign off on them. The next 2 years are going to suck for Republicans a great deal. They won't be able to do ****.

Actually if you stop to think about it its perfect. Obama will continue to fail and the best part is his reign of destructive bills will come to a spectaular halt.

We will use that to weed out more of the bile infecting Congress and of course the Presidency :)

Actually if you stop to think about it its perfect. Obama will continue to fail and the best part is his reign of destructive bills will come to a spectaular halt.

We will use that to weed out more of the bile infecting Congress and of course the Presidency :)

Have at it. Maybe you can even have Palin run and win in 2012. The Mayans did say the world was going to end by then. You might as well do your best to fulfill the prophesy.

Doesn't matter. Even if an act of Congress repealed DADT but left the rulestanding, it is within the President's ability to overturn.

So what's stopping him?

We should just change the constitution to say 60 votes in the senate already. That's the point we've come to anyway, thanks to the idiotic filibuster rules the Senate has.

It's only idiotic until somethings passed by Republicans you don't agree with. people seem to forget Washington has a cycle.

I'm going to laugh my ass off when DADT goes to SCOTUS and they rule against it because it's Unconstitutional.
That's the only way we're going to be rid of it.

Have at it. Maybe you can even have Palin run and win in 2012. The Mayans did say the world was going to end by then. You might as well do your best to fulfill the prophesy.

I know you put a lot of stock in those predictions of people involved in human sacrifice but most of us do not.

A one term Obama is whats in order :)

I think Republicans are in deep. Nobody in history has used filibuster while in a minority as much as they have this last year. I think we now have a government where you need 60 votes in Congress before you can get anything passed, no matter how popular it is. If 75% of Americans can support repeal of DADT and it can get shut down, then nothing is too popular to be shot down by filibuster.

I doubt that the 75% you talk about, and I really doubt that number, but let's say I accept it for the sake of argument, I doubt their is enough of that 75% who are really passionate about the issue to make a difference in voting in November. Especially for people who would vote Republican.

So what's stopping him?

An act of Congress.

In other words, there's a Federal law that needs to be repealed or modified appropriately, after which it would actually mean something for the President to overturn the DoD regulation banning homosexuals from the military.

An act of Congress.

In other words, there's a Federal law that needs to be repealed or modified appropriately, after which it would actually mean something for the President to overturn the DoD regulation banning homosexuals from the military.

I'd say that he has very little time then to get going on this - otherwise, if the pundits are correct and the House is either controlled by the GOP or it's close, he'll never get this passed.

I sure hope the Republicans are ready to need a 60-vote majority to do anything the next time they think they've got the upper hand.

Its this attitude that hurts our country, imo. What both parties should learn from is to stop putting riders onto spending bills. Quit looking at what is good for the party and start looking at what is best for the country. Yes, I know that is the way its been done for years, but its time to stop this pratice. Congress should address the Don't Ask and the Dream act on its own merits. If it is such a good deal, then whoever should have no problem passing the Bill. IMO, it is underhanded to attach these type riders to an spending bill. I don't care which party did it, it needs to stop.

I would tend to agree.

The fact is, both major parties suffer from the same neurosis -- republican (not to be confused with Republican) principles and the will of the people are fine things, provided that in practice they agree with their own agenda.

It's not even a question of ending riders on spending bills, it's more a matter of stopping the constant "gotcha" bull****.

movement of this measure in a lame duck is almost unimaginable

the party has its priorities, and dadt aint it

if (a big word) leadership is to attempt to advance anything in december, it will be an issue closer to its heart, such as the bush cuts or energy

dadt is pretty far down obama/pelosi's list

leadership on dadt, just like with health care reform, has SHOT its WAD

it's a non starter in the next congress

sorry

I would tend to agree.

The fact is, both major parties suffer from the same neurosis -- republican (not to be confused with Republican) principles and the will of the people are fine things, provided that in practice they agree with their own agenda.

It's not even a question of ending riders on spending bills, it's more a matter of stopping the constant "gotcha" bull****.

Yeah, you get something like an appropriation for Kitten Rescue tacked on a financial reform by Senator Jerkoff. Senator BillyBob doesn't like the financial reform, so he votes against the bill.

Senator Billybob voted to kill kittens. Who will he kill next? Your grandmother, maybe.

I sure hope the Republicans are ready to need a 60-vote majority to do anything the next time they think they've got the upper hand.

Not necessarily, the Democratic party is far more fractured than the Republican Party. The Dems are lead by the nose by the liberal wing of their faction, a identifier shared by merely 21% of the country. You wonder why the country is up in arms about the direction we're heading, it's because Obama and this Liberal Congress are cramming the agenda of a mere 20% of the population down our throats, through bribes for votes, straight party line votes, backroom deals that stink to high heaven. Seems Harry Reid just voted against repealing don't ask don't tell, just so he can bring it up in a lame duck session when he knows the Democrats will be on the way out, and the political costs of the votes won't be as high. These kind of typical Washington games, being played to the extreme, is not the 'change' I suspect many of Obama's voters were expecting.

Bottom line it's much easier for Republican's to pick off a Southern/Midwest Dem or two, than a liberal getting a Conservative/libertarian Republican for votes on the extreme liberal policies we've witnessed.

Are you honestly saying that, in the fact of the utter havoc being wrought on the Republicans by the Tea Party movement? Really?

:lol:

That said, once the Republicans get their majority, even without the current chaos they will have to contend with a lot of infighting. It's a lot easier to unify as a minority to stop a majority you're diametrically opposed to than it is to maintain unity once you've got the power.

snippet just off the AP wire today:
----------------------------------
One in five sexually active gay and bisexual men has the AIDS virus, and nearly half of those don't know they are infected, a federal study of 21 U.S. cities shows.
Experts said the findings are similar to earlier research, but the study released Thursday is the largest to look at gay and bisexual U.S. men at high risk for HIV. More than 8,000 men were tested and interviewed, and 44 percent of those who had the virus didn't know they had it.
Overall, less than half of 1 percent of Americans have the AIDS virus, according to a calculation by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a research and policy organization in Washington, D.C.
But gay and bisexual men continue to be infected at much higher rates, said Jennifer Kates, Kaiser's director of global health and HIV policy.
"We don't have a generalized epidemic in the United States. We have a concentrated epidemic among certain populations," she said.
That's why a new national AIDS strategy, unveiled by the White House in July, is emphasizing more of a government focus on men who have sex with men and others at the highest risk of getting infected, Kates said.
----------------------------------

Obviously alot of USA military folks are celebrating today that they won't have to be sharing fox holes with those these statistics bear out often have such a lack of self control that they carelessly transmit a lethal desease.

Right.

Because the gay and bisexual men in the armed services are known for hiding in foxholes, waiting for the perfect moment to shed their cover and strike by surprise with their deadly blade of disease-ridden death.

Right.

Because the gay and bisexual men in the armed services are known for hiding in foxholes, waiting for the perfect moment to shed their cover and strike by surprise with their deadly blade of disease-ridden death.

Surprise buttsecks. You never expect it. :ninja:

None of the recruiters I ever spoke to ever mentioned this fringe benefit. All they ever wanted to talk about was duty and honor and being all you can be and educational / career benefits.

If when I asked, "why on earth would I take up arms in defense of an abstract concept" they'd said "for the anal rape," I totally would've signed up.

Back
Top Bottom