• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate deals blow to 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in 56-43 vote

Councilman

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Along with it the Dream Act Amnesty was also killed, and the news could not be better and I see it as a sneak peek at things to come.

Obama must be fuming at this point with this and Sarah Palins numbers climbing while his are headed for a whirley in the porcelain convenience.

According to the O.C. Register it was killed because of our efforts to kill these awful bill attached to Military Spending legislation.

So Congrats to all the real Americans who got involved. SALUTE

Harry Reid voted against it because he put in the Bill and by not voting for it he can bring it back in the Lame Duck secession.

Senate deals blow to 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal in 56-43 vote - TheHill.com

The Senate on Tuesday dealt a significant blow to the Obama administration’s efforts to repeal the ban on openly gay people serving in the military.

In a 56-43 vote, Senate Democratic leaders fell short of the 60 votes they needed to proceed to the 2011 defense authorization bill, which included language to repeal the Clinton-era “Don’t ask, don’t tell” law.

Those who stand for nothing fall for anything

I sure hope the Republicans are ready to need a 60-vote majority to do anything the next time they think they've got the upper hand.

Was the law going to also repeal the reason that Don't Ask Don't Tell was written in the first place? Because the reason it exists is because there is a direct ban of gays in the military, and DADT was just a way to make sure that the military didn't actively seek gays to kick out of the military.

If it was also going to repeal that rule, then too bad it didn't pass. If it wasn't, then it would have done more harm than good, because we would be back to square one of gays being actively banned from the military.

Doesn't matter. Even if an act of Congress repealed DADT but left the rulestanding, it is within the President's ability to overturn.

I sure hope the Republicans are ready to need a 60-vote majority to do anything the next time they think they've got the upper hand.

What about rewarding law breakers exactly do you favor.

The don't ask don't Tell is nothing to me but the 20 plus million Illegal Aliens need to pay for breaking the law and for gaming the welfare and medical systems.

The Democrat Party of DUH likes to call the Republicans the Party of no, and I like it. But I'm hoping the Tea Party is soon known as the Party of HELL NO!!!!

What about rewarding law breakers exactly do you favor.

What about rewarding law breakers exactly did I say?

The don't ask don't Tell is nothing to me but the 20 plus million Illegal Aliens need to pay for breaking the law and for gaming the welfare and medical systems.

The Democrat Party of DUH likes to call the Republicans the Party of no, and I like it. But I'm hoping the Tea Party is soon known as the Party of HELL NO!!!!

Herro, Farmer in the Dell! What a nice strawman you has! :lol:

Doesn't matter. Even if an act of Congress repealed DADT but left the rulestanding, it is within the President's ability to overturn.

I'm pretty sure it is the other way. Obama can repeal DADT because it was an executive order, but the rule that DADT was in response to was passed by Congress, so only Congress can repeal that rule, therefore Obama overturning DADT would only hurt gays in the military.

"This is a victory for the men and women who serve our nation in uniform. At least for now they will not be used to advance a radical social agenda,” said Family Research Council President Tony Perkins.

Ahh, yes, I knew that somewhere within that article I would find some holier-than-thou snake oil salesman of 'family values' rearing his head, and yammering on about radical social agendas. In this fashion, Tony Perkins does not disappoint.

Last edited:
obama doesn't have the guts, he lacks the leadership, and this issue really isn't dear to his heart

he's been playing this constituency just like hispanics, just like the professional left, just like REAL anti wall street reformers, just like african americans, even

pretty much everybody except one rather incendiary group of internationals

it is what it is

and it's far worse than even i at first thought

The high-profile collapse of what would have been a landmark bill triggered a round of second-guessing and recriminations from repeal proponents. Their main targets: President Barack Obama, Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), and leaders of gay rights organizations who have helped set strategy for repeal efforts.

In the last few days, as the likelihood of defeat became apparent, some repeal advocates also blamed Republican obstructionism, but most said the president didn’t work hard enough to keep his campaign promise of repeal, and said Reid erred by rejecting Republican requests to allow the GOP to offer amendments

Some prominent advocates of repeal scolded McCain and Republicans for their role in the filibuster, but some strategists said Obama, gay rights groups and lawmakers had been too deferential to elements in the military who wanted to slow-walk any change to the policy.

“This is the result of an across-the-board failure of leadership by the president, the Pentagon and the Congress,” said Richard Socarides, who advised Clinton on gay issues. “Delaying repeal for another pentagon study was exactly the wrong strategy and played right into the hands of entrenched military interests opposed to open service now as they were in 1993.”

Others faulted Obama for being largely absent from the debate.

Senate Republicans block 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal - Josh Gerstein and Scott Wong - POLITICO.com

the article continues to quote prominent repeal proponents michelangelo signorile and alexander nicholson of the servicemember's legal defense network who absolutely trash obama and reid

human rights, tho crestfallen, struggled hard to find a rainbow---recess passage---but politico promptly pounded that perception with the reality of nov 2

susan collins goes on about how badly she WANTS to repeal dadt, but...

this bill which could easily have passed failed solely due to a complete absence of leadership and its amateur handling

sorry

we'll pick things that are popular, friend, the stuff we ran on and got elected on

that's how presidents from time immemorial, very few of whom owned filibuster proof senates, got things done

it's how chubby chris christie is dominating dark blue trenton

obama was always so convinced he knew better than everyone else

it turns out he knew worse, he knows squat, only the crap he was taught at harvard

it is what it is

sorry

This good news since this was just a political move designed to help dems in November. I thought they were going to wait for the Pentagon's study to be released in December?

I think Republicans are in deep. Nobody in history has used filibuster while in a minority as much as they have this last year. I think we now have a government where you need 60 votes in Congress before you can get anything passed, no matter how popular it is. If 75% of Americans can support repeal of DADT and it can get shut down, then nothing is too popular to be shot down by filibuster.

Last edited:
This good news since this was just a political move designed to help dems in November. I thought they were going to wait for the Pentagon's study to be released in December?

No. Even back in May they said they weren't going to wait.

I'm pretty sure it is the other way. Obama can repeal DADT because it was an executive order, but the rule that DADT was in response to was passed by Congress, so only Congress can repeal that rule, therefore Obama overturning DADT would only hurt gays in the military.

Partially as a response to this movement, the Department of Defense issued a 1982 policy (DOD Directive 1332.14) stating that homosexuality was clearly incompatible with military service.[11] The policy garnered public scrutiny through the 1980s and 1990s, and it became a political issue in the 1992 U.S. presidential election with Bill Clinton and others citing the brutal murder of gay U.S. Navy petty officer Allen R. Schindler, Jr. After Bill Clinton won the presidency, Congress rushed to enact the existing gay ban policy into federal law, outflanking Clinton's planned repeal effort. Clinton introduced Congressional legislation to overturn the ban, but it encountered intense scrutiny by the Joint Chiefs of Staff, members of Congress, and portions of the U.S. public. "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell" emerged as a compromise policy.

Don't ask, don't tell (DADT) is the common term for the policy restricting the United States military from efforts to discover or reveal closeted gay, lesbian, and bisexual service members or applicants, while barring those who are openly gay, lesbian, or bisexual from military service. The restrictions are mandated by federal law Pub.L. 103-160 (10 U.S.C. § 654).

Don't ask, don't tell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Senate Republicans block 'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal - Josh Gerstein and Scott Wong - POLITICO.com

the article continues to quote prominent repeal proponents michelangelo signorile and alexander nicholson of the servicemember's legal defense network who absolutely trash obama and reid

human rights, tho crestfallen, struggled hard to find a rainbow---recess passage---but politico promptly pounded that perception with the reality of nov 2

susan collins goes on about how badly she WANTS to repeal dadt, but...

this bill which could easily have passed failed solely due to a complete absence of leadership and its amateur handling

sorry

It's a great strategy to chalk this up to a failure of leadership by Reid and Obama. This way the blame for what happens is pulled off the Senators who participated in the filibuster, and whether you're for or against the repeal of DATD you can vent your frustration on the two of them rather than on the Senators who are actually at fault here.

The fact that it's a great strategy doesn't make it any less of a lie, though. :lol:

I think Republicans are in deep.

Opinion: Independent voters' rightward shift - Douglas E. Schoen and Heather R. Higgins - POLITICO.com

RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Battle for the House

raese passed manchin today in west virginia (bobby byrd's seat), and ron johnson leads russ feingold in wisconsin by double digits

RealClearPolitics - Latest Election Polls

the mountain and badger states---are you following the overall senate derby?

the gubs are a landslide, gubs play powerful parts in presidentials (think about it)

RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Governor No Toss Ups

no, friend, when you stand up for what the people actually want you win political payoffs

stay up

You mean like this:

Under language included in the defense bill, repeal would not be implemented until the Pentagon finishes its review of how it would affect the military. Obama, Gates and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Mike Mullen must first certify it can be achieved consistent with the military’s standards of readiness, effectiveness, unit cohesion and recruitment and retention.

That was from the article quoted in the OP.

Just saying.

Opinion: Independent voters' rightward shift - Douglas E. Schoen and Heather R. Higgins - POLITICO.com

RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Battle for the House

raese passed manchin today in west virginia (bobby byrd's seat), and ron johnson leads russ feingold in wisconsin by double digits

RealClearPolitics - Latest Election Polls

the mountain and badger states---are you following the overall senate derby?

the gubs are a landslide, gubs play powerful parts in presidentials (think about it)

RealClearPolitics - 2010 Election Maps - Governor No Toss Ups

no, friend, when you stand up for what the people actually want you win political payoffs

stay up

You are missing the point. Once Dems are in the minority, they are just going to use the same strategy the Republicans have used and will filibuster everything they bring to the floor. It doesn't matter if the Republicans take a majority. They won't get anything unless they can get 60 votes in the Senate. The Republicans have hung themselves by using this strategy.

Last edited:
we'll pick things that are popular, friend, the stuff we ran on and got elected on

that's how presidents from time immemorial, very few of whom owned filibuster proof senates, got things done

it's how chubby chris christie is dominating dark blue trenton

obama was always so convinced he knew better than everyone else

it turns out he knew worse, he knows squat, only the crap he was taught at harvard

it is what it is

sorry

By all means, continue blaming the one guy who couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the filibuster.

I sure hope the Republicans get a filibuster-proof majority, or it's going to suck to be them when they fail to live up to their mandate. :lol:

It's a great strategy to chalk this up to a failure of leadership by Reid and Obama. This way the blame for what happens is pulled off the Senators who participated in the filibuster, and whether you're for or against the repeal of DATD you can vent your frustration on the two of them rather than on the Senators who are actually at fault here.

tell it to clinton's gay rights adviser, tell it human rights, tell it to the servicemembers legal defense network, tell it to gayamericablog.com, tell it to the journo-listers at politico...

stay up

The fact that all those people are too stupid to blame the Republicans who actually shot it down is proof of . . . what, exactly? :lol:

By all means, continue blaming the one guy who couldn't possibly have had anything to do with the filibuster.

i haven't blamed anyone, friend, i've merely reported reactions, ie, i've merely observed

I sure hope the Republicans get a filibuster-proof majority, or it's going to suck to be them when they fail to live up to their mandate. :lol:

tell it to governor christie in new jersey

don't get down, be strong

Last edited:
The fact that all those people are too stupid to blame the Republicans who actually shot it down is proof of . . . what, exactly?

p-o-l-i-t-i-c-s, my friend

ie, winners and losers

maintain

Prof,

No Super Majority means no progress for Republican positions. Not only can they not get 60 votes in the Senate, but they also can't get Obama to sign off on them. The next 2 years are going to suck for Republicans a great deal. They won't be able to do ****.

Back
Top Bottom