• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate Cuts Food Stamp Funds; Leaves Oil and Gas Subsidies Intact

My Dad's church has a food-bank of sorts, as well as a free walking clinic - and because *everything* is provided by donation (everything from bandaids to the Dr's time, to bags of groceries and toilet paper) - they have very scare resources to actually go around.

Charity is great - but it doesn't go as far as you think.

if people weren't paying half of their incomes to the taxman they probably would give alot more

It's kind of like withholding tax..... if you had to go up to a window each month and cash your check, then give the government 30 percent of it, there would be a revolution the next month.

If you had to go hat in hand to a church or a soup kitchen to eat, you would get off your ass and take the first job you could find. You'd spend 12+ hours a day looking for work and there would be no such thing as a job being beneath you.

Be thankful that we have vets..... they are the ones that bought you the right to shoot your mouth off, most of the time with their blood.... ass hole.

Well this guy sure as hell didn't pay with his blood, he's sitting on his ass right now bitching about the disfortunate using his tax dollars. Your logic implies that everyone is lazy and just ****ing loves to sit around and collect big fat checks, and take advantage of the government when that isn't the case.

People aren't going to soup kitchens and churches to feed their kids. I have been in bad situations and had to go to churches and such for food and this is the gist of what you normally get; some cheap donuts, pizzas, ramen, some random weird canned goods, your occasional fruit and vegetable. For me that is great, that's awesome I can make plenty out of that for a few days but for a family, are they supposed to feed their kids donuts and ramen?

Well this guy sure as hell didn't pay with his blood, he's sitting on his ass right now bitching about the disfortunate using his tax dollars. Your logic implies that everyone is lazy and just ****ing loves to sit around and collect big fat checks, and take advantage of the government when that isn't the case.

People aren't going to soup kitchens and churches to feed their kids. I have been in bad situations and had to go to churches and such for food and this is the gist of what you normally get; some cheap donuts, pizzas, ramen, some random weird canned goods, your occasional fruit and vegetable. For me that is great, that's awesome I can make plenty out of that for a few days but for a family, are they supposed to feed their kids donuts and ramen?

why are so many people who cannot feed themselves having so many kids? seriously? I remember reading a book about Carlos Hathcock, the famous marine sniper. In that book he noted the army strongly discouraged enlisting men marrying until they made at least staff sargent because that level of pay was enough to support a wife and a kid or two.

why do people who do not have steady employment breed so often?

Well would you rather they get an abortion...aaaaand there is the quagmire of being a conservative republican.

In all seriousness though, **** happens, be it people didn't realize it would happen, they lose their job and are having trouble finding work, etc. Are you suggesting if an average joe loses his job at the Ford plant he was working at for 10 years and all of a sudden he has no choice but to go on food stamps to feed his family then maybe he should give up his kids for adoption?

Well would you rather they get an abortion...aaaaand there is the quagmire of being a conservative republican.

In all seriousness though, **** happens, be it people didn't realize it would happen, they lose their job and are having trouble finding work, etc. Are you suggesting if an average joe loses his job at the Ford plant he was working at for 10 years and all of a sudden he has no choice but to go on food stamps to feed his family then maybe he should give up his kids for adoption?

not only has my family given six figures to Planned Parenthood, my late mother served on the board for decades and I was a guard at a clinic fighting off the idiot "christians" screaming "Whore" and Baby Killer at the women going in-including those who were there just for pap smears or STD check ups

and I understand the point about someone who loses a job but that doesn't explain the millions being born to people who never had a job and don't plan on getting one

I don't know if there are millions, but that's very true. Charity is great, and I think everyone should donate what they can, however many Americans are out of reach of charities, or the well runs dry so to speak in some cases. I would be totally for people having to take test to make sure they aren't idiots or something before they could even reproduce..if such a thing could exist...

It says they are voting on it, I doubt such cuts would pass especially right now. Also are they high? Food prices definitely are going up. So I guess because they aren't going up as much as they thought though, kids should have to eat ramen noodles instead of brown rice until daddy gets a new job? I think if they want to save money in the long run, what they should do is be more careful about whom they give food stamps to, but punishing poor families because of a few bad seeds is a very greedy, and bad idea.

Actually, the story indicated that food prices had deflated, which means decreased. It doesn't mean that they increased at lower levels than expected. While I can not confirm this, I have noticed the trend of decreasing food prices at the grocery stores I frequent.

Last edited:
@MrVicchio have you ever had to go to a church or charity for food? Of course not you have the biggest charity of all, the US government thanking you over and over for being a vet.

And I earned that right, by volunteering my time, and risking my life for you and the country. PS(I don't get any Vet benefits, but I qualify for them, maybe I'll use my GI Bill this Spring, but I PAID FOR THAT).

Big difference between Vet Programs and Charities. Dishonest people like you should be shamed and mocked by all for such commentary.

Who is in the news this week (two dems for ethical violations). I say, get rid of them all and start over. Pretty PC in doing that.

I am all about kicking corrupt politicans out of Washington. Apparently, the biggots in the Congressional Black Caucus are a starting point. All of the republicans that are nothing but mouthpieces for their big business masters are the next step.

I say get rid of food stamps entirely. Think of all the money we could save.

I think we should include more people into the food stamp program, especially during economic bad times. Would you rather have people starve and go malnourished?

I think we should include more people into the food stamp program, especially during economic bad times. Would you rather have people starve and go malnourished?

ask any ER doctor or inner city clinician--obesity is the major nourishment issue facing our poor

one of the main differences between the USA and third world nations.

in the USA the poor are fatter than the rich.

ask any ER doctor or inner city clinician--obesity is the major nourishment issue facing our poor

one of the main differences between the USA and third world nations.

in the USA the poor are fatter than the rich.

One can be obese and malnourished at the same time. Regardless, most cheap items are high in fat. Increasing food stamps and giving incentives to buy healthy foods would be great. A lot of fattening and high cal foods are poor in vitamin and mineral content. Junk food and other things are nothing but pure calories and no nourishment. Our poor are fat because our cheapest food is also the most fattening.

One can be obese and malnourished at the same time. Regardless, most cheap items are high in fat. Increasing food stamps and giving incentives to buy healthy foods would be great. A lot of fattening and high cal foods are poor in vitamin and mineral content. Junk food and other things are nothing but pure calories and no nourishment. Our poor are fat because our cheapest food is also the most fattening.

true to some extent

but you must also note the mindset

instant gratification is often the mindset of the poor. THose who look forward to being healthy in their old age tend to be those who eat intelligently. they also tend to be the people who don't end up on foodstamps. Its an intrinsic flaw in many cases as to why the poor are fat

true to some extent

instant gratification is often the mindset of the poor. THose who look forward to being healthy in their old age tend to be those who eat intelligently. they also tend to be the people who don't end up on foodstamps. Its an intrinsic flaw in many cases as to why the poor are fat
I was raised poor, I'm still poor, and my family has always been poor. My dad has worked his ass off to provide for us. I work 2 jobs, my father works 2 jobs, and my mother works 2 jobs. As a kid we didn't have money for food sometimes, and my grandparents would buy us groceries. Sure, a small amount of poor people do live on government checks and have no desire to work. But from my experienced, us poor people are often times the hardest workers.

On another note, I think the children and the mindset of many rich people is instant gratification. They use their money to get what they want, when they want it. They treat people like dirt and judge based on financial status. My university is a private school. I can only attend here because I have an academic scholarship, student loans, and federal and state aid. There are a lot of rich kids that go to my school where mommy and daddy pay all their bills. They don't work, and they don't give a crap about their grades or education. It ticks me off to see them go through school acting like a dunce and not giving two cents about it. I work my ass off in school to keep my GPA above a 3.0 in order to keep my scholarship. I think the rich and spoiled have a far worse mindset, while the majority of the poor are harder workers and truly value a dollar.

I was raised poor, I'm still poor, and my family has always been poor. My dad has worked his ass off to provide for us. I work 2 jobs, my father works 2 jobs, and my mother works 2 jobs. As a kid we didn't have money for food sometimes, and my grandparents would buy us groceries. Sure, a small amount of poor people do live on government checks and have no desire to work. But from my experienced, us poor people are often times the hardest workers.

On another note, I think the children and the mindset of many rich people is instant gratification. They use their money to get what they want, when they want it. They treat people like dirt and judge based on financial status. My university is a private school. I can only attend here because I have an academic scholarship, student loans, and federal and state aid. There are a lot of rich kids that go to my school where mommy and daddy pay all their bills. They don't work, and they don't give a crap about their grades or education. It ticks me off to see them go through school acting like a dunce and not giving two cents about it. I work my ass off in school to keep my GPA above a 3.0 in order to keep my scholarship. I think the rich and spoiled have a far worse mindset, while the majority of the poor are harder workers and truly value a dollar.

I agree with some and disagree with much. Old money tends to treat people well. If you ever get a chance to meet a secret service agent who worked in both the first Bush whitehouse (old old money) and the clinton whitehouse (new money) ask them how they were treated. Mrs. Bush was legendary for treating the agents, housekeepers etc as family. HIllary treated them as the help. Hillary had a long time WH steward fired for sending Mrs Bush a birthday card.

old money doesn't have to prove they are different. New money often does. Old money doesn't mistreat waitresses or cab drivers.

I used to live with a waitress many years ago. She said the old money always tipped her well, the noveau riche treated her like ****, hit on her even tried to grab her under her skirt.

so I agree with part of what you say

later

And I earned that right, by volunteering my time, and risking my life for you and the country. PS(I don't get any Vet benefits, but I qualify for them, maybe I'll use my GI Bill this Spring, but I PAID FOR THAT).

Big difference between Vet Programs and Charities. Dishonest people like you should be shamed and mocked by all for such commentary.

It's fun to touch nerves because then people get nasty. What war btw? Anyways I guess I should be ashamed of myself but I'm not because when people like you spit on the poor for just being poor I can have no respect for that.

Last edited:
@MrVicchio have you ever had to go to a church or charity for food? Of course not you have the biggest charity of all, the US government thanking you over and over for being a vet.

Duur huur

aka = I tried to come up with a good comeback but it failed miserably.

I don't trust CEO's to put their own money into charities, and give to the poor. What do businessmen care about? Their bottom line, and if they got tax cuts do you really believe they would give that money to the poor, or just stuff their pockets with it? I'm guessing the latter. I think the whole welfare system needs to be reformed, but I'll stick with welfare than having to rely on private charity.

Also it isn't that many CEO's are bad when it comes to donating to charities. The heirs and heiresses are worse and they are the majority shareholders thus making them the owners. I'll use the Walton family as an example. The walton heirs and heiress like the five of them are worth over or close to a hundred billion dollars. The average employee of wal-mart gets a yearly salary of 19,000 and they have this medical fund to help out Wal-mart employees with their medical bills. Well when it comes down to donating money the waltons gave a total of $5,000 dollars a year to the fund. When they could have given so much more. But as you can see many rich people do not care for others especially the heirs that make up the majority of rich people.

Yeah you are so poor that you are using a computer with wireless and broadband.:roll:

I am totally against what you said you lost me when you said the poor are the hardest working people. That is far from true, if they were then you wouldn't need money for assistance.:2razz: But seriously why do you care on the way other act? I am one of those rich kids whose parents are paying for his education and I don't care to have a C GPA. I don't know what my GPA is but I am certainly not failing. Life is hard get used to it, you don't think that just because some kids have their bills covered by their parents means they don't have it tough?! There is so much out there that causes suffering. But what can you do? You can have a better outlook on life. So when you are a rich parent you will pay for you kids university. If you don't do that that would just be mean and evil of you.

I do agree though that many poor people do value the dollar more than rich people. But the children of rich people when they start to work they start to realize how valuable a dollar really is. But many times these kids either end up bitter and mean like my brother. My brother was earning over $125,000 a year working as a Chem. engineer. And he has zero debt because my parents paid for his school. What you said was nothing more than a drama whore who can't handle the real world.

Buffet gave away more money than everyone in DP combined will ever see.

To say that CEOs or the rich are socially irresponsible is to be narrow-minded beyond belief.

I don't trust CEO's to put their own money into charities, and give to the poor. What do businessmen care about? Their bottom line, and if they got tax cuts do you really believe they would give that money to the poor, or just stuff their pockets with it? I'm guessing the latter. I think the whole welfare system needs to be reformed, but I'll stick with welfare than having to rely on private charity.

And I think you're wrong. Private individuals have always given more than the government does.

I say tie unemployment benefits and welfare w/education, skills training and temporary work, ie., employer referrals for hard-to-fill jobs, then place a limit on how long people can stay on the such entitlement programs commensurate w/the job training and/or permanent employment. Then you wouldn't have to worry so much about things like Food Stamps accept for perhaps the elderly or disabled.

I'm not saying social services (entitlement) programs aren't necessary because clearly they are. I'm just saying maybe it's about time the rules changed concerning these programs if we are to have a roburst economy and reduce the deficit at the state and federal levels.

Doesn't sound like to bad of ideas Objective Voice. I think an even easier way of going about it, is let higher education be free for all. Everyone gets higher paying jobs, they pay more tax money and it's a win-win for everyone involved.

If that were to happen, who would pay for the burial of those who starve to death?

I believe you will find that politically as well as humanely, food stamps are the better proposition,

Back
Top Bottom