• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate blocks Trump-backed plan to end government shutdown and fund his border wall

CitizenBasehead

sock puppet
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
The Senate blocked a GOP-backed bill to fund the government and President Donald Trump's border wall Thursday.As voting continued, the measure was set to fail to get the 60 votes needed to advance as Republicans could not get seven Democrats to back it.

The chamber will next vote on a separate Democratic proposal to fund the government through Feb. 8 without money for the barrier. The Senate is also expected to oppose that plan.

Democrats and some Republicans in the Senate have urged Trump to temporarily reopen the government while the White House and Congress negotiate a broader immigration deal. Trump has insisted on securing funding for the wall before he agrees to fund the government.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/michael-cohen-postpones-plan-to-testify-at-congress-.html
______________________________________________________________________________________________

This is starting to get stupid. Trump won't sign anything without his boarder funding, the Senate won't pass anything that has his boarder funding in it.

What do about dumb situation?

Last edited:
The Senate blocked a GOP-backed bill to fund the government and President Donald Trump's border wall Thursday.As voting continued, the measure was set to fail to get the 60 votes needed to advance as Republicans could not get seven Democrats to back it.

The chamber will next vote on a separate Democratic proposal to fund the government through Feb. 8 without money for the barrier. The Senate is also expected to oppose that plan.

Democrats and some Republicans in the Senate have urged Trump to temporarily reopen the government while the White House and Congress negotiate a broader immigration deal. Trump has insisted on securing funding for the wall before he agrees to fund the government.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/michael-cohen-postpones-plan-to-testify-at-congress-.html
______________________________________________________________________________________________

This is starting to get stupid.

All they're doing is playing "chicken".

All they're doing is playing "chicken".

It makes you wonder who is going to blink first?

Trump does seems crazy enough to let the government stay shut down long enough, until it creates a national emergency.

I hope the madman goes through with it.

What is the difference between Senate “procedural” votes that need minimum 60 votes and other votes that need only a simple majority?

This is starting to get stupid. Trump won't sign anything without his boarder funding, the Senate won't pass anything that has his boarder funding in it.

How many votes did it get?

This is starting to get stupid. Trump won't sign anything without his boarder funding, the Senate won't pass anything that has his boarder funding in it. What do about dumb situation?

As the Democrats have strongly suggested, reopen the government. It makes no sense for Trump to continue holding government employees hostage.... it's not going to change anything about his wall project. The Dems have public opinion.

Reopen government, then negotiate border security funding, or perhaps appoint a blue-ribbon commission - 3 high-profile Republicans and 3 high profile Democrats, not in government - give them a month and then they can submit their recommendations to Trump and Congress. Neither side will get everything they want and we can all move forward.

It makes you wonder who is going to blink first?

Trump does seems crazy enough to let the government stay shut down long enough, until it creates a national emergency.

I hope the madman goes through with it.
In a game of chicken, I would put my money on Trump not being the first to blink. I don't think he really cares. Most former Presidents cash in on their legacy after they leave office. Trump doesn't need that. If this thing all goes to hell and his approval rating drops to zero he still has Trump Tower and towers of cash to go back to.

I don't think enough GOP voters really thought this thing through during the nomination process...

This isn't news. We all knew it would happen. Next!

looks like democrats once again prove they do not care about national security or 600k people out of work.
politics is more important. so much for the party of the working guy.

i wonder where these clowns are going to fly to next. probably hawaii hell why not.

What is the difference between Senate “procedural” votes that need minimum 60 votes and other votes that need only a simple majority?

IIRC it still only takes 51 votes (or 50 + VP) to pass a bill but it takes 60 to overcome a filibuster.

Every bill that comes into the senate has to have a cloiture vote. This is a vote to end a debate on a bill.
usually it requires 50 votes unless someone filibusters. if someone filibusers then it requires 60 votes to end debate.

it used to be that filibustering bills was a major thing as all action on the senate floor stopped until a resolution was completed.
Robert byrd changed the rules so that the senate could continue with other bills.

once the debate has ended all it requires is a 51 vote majority to pass a bill.

From- CNBC”The Senate blocked a GOP-backed bill to fund the government and President Donald Trump's border wall Thursday.

The measure failed to get the 60 votes needed to advance as Republicans could not get enough Democrats to back it. The chamber rejected it in a 50-47 vote. Three senators — Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Republicans Tom Cotton of Arkansas and Mike Lee of Utah — broke with their parties.”

In a game of chicken, I would put my money on Trump not being the first to blink. I don't think he really cares. Most former Presidents cash in on their legacy after they leave office. Trump doesn't need that. If this thing all goes to hell and his approval rating drops to zero he still has Trump Tower and towers of cash to go back to.

I don't think enough GOP voters really thought this thing through during the nomination process...

liberals are use to presidents that just cave to their every outcry.
trump isn't going to do it.

the democrats has a chance to prove that they are intersted in national security and putting people back to work.
they proved they are only interested in politics.

schumer and pelosi once again continues the government shut down while he gets paid and other people don't.
i think the rules need to be changed. the congress cretins shouldn't get paid and should be fined and you would see this
clear up in the matter of minutes.

at least if the senate passed the bill the them and the house could get a compromised bill together that might get trumps signature.
yet they won't do it.

But there's a quite a few Trump supporters that want to watch all burn to the ground. This is based off of anecdotal evidence of course.

Declare an emergency and build the wall without congress. Delaying this is dumb. It's going to go to the courts no matter what, so you may as well do it now.

But there's a quite a few Trump supporters that want to watch all burn to the ground. This is based off of anecdotal evidence of course.

They might say that but I have a feeling they will change their tune very quickly once stuff actually starts burning.

Didnt Trump say that Mexico was going to pay for the wall? So why did he shut the government down and is now forcing it down the taxpayer's throat?

From- CNBC”The Senate blocked a GOP-backed bill to fund the government and President Donald Trump's border wall Thursday.

The measure failed to get the 60 votes needed to advance as Republicans could not get enough Democrats to back it. The chamber rejected it in a 50-47 vote. Three senators — Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Republicans Tom Cotton of Arkansas and Mike Lee of Utah — broke with their parties.”

So it had enough votes to pass, just not enough to overcome a democrat filibuster. So the truth is, dems filibustered a bill to reopen government. Odd that Lee and Cotton would oppose. I image they thought the deal was too generous in some way.

As the Democrats have strongly suggested, reopen the government. It makes no sense for Trump to continue holding government employees hostage.... it's not going to change anything about his wall project. The Dems have public opinion.

Reopen government, then negotiate border security funding, or perhaps appoint a blue-ribbon commission - 3 high-profile Republicans and 3 high profile Democrats, not in government - give them a month and then they can submit their recommendations to Trump and Congress. Neither side will get everything they want and we can all move forward.

Nah, we'll take border security funding now since Pelosi already said she wouldn't give Trump any money if he opened up the government.

You can thank her for making us dig in our heels.

That's so nice of them. Putting on a show for their constituents. It's most likely not going Trump's mind but hey, it seems like they are doing something.

A GOP-backed measure to fund Trump's border wall and offer limited legal protections for some immigrants failed in a 50-47 vote. Three senators — Democrat Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Republicans Tom Cotton of Arkansas and Mike Lee of Utah — broke with their parties.

A plan supported by Democrats fared better, but still fell short in a 52-44 vote. Five Republican senators supported it: Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, Susan Collins of Maine, Cory Gardner of Colorado, Johnny Isakson of Georgia, Lisa Murkowski of Alaska and Mitt Romney of Utah.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/24/senate-votes-on-government-shutdown-and-trump-border-wall-bill.html

Didnt Trump say that Mexico was going to pay for the wall? So why did he shut the government down and is now forcing it down the taxpayer's throat?

you evidenlty didn't read. Democrats shut the government down and have kept it shut down for the past 30 days.
if you notice most of the republicans voted for the bill and except for the filibuster they would have passed it.

Of course, neither Trump nor McConnell informed Americans that this was also tucked into their government funding bill.....

https://www.debatepolitics.com/gene...8-trump-s-changes-restricting-asylum-law.html

"But the GOP bill incorporating his offer would also gut existing asylum laws for children and trafficking victims from Central America, ban asylum for minors who present themselves at ports of entry, gut the concept of temporary protected status for future cases and expand immigration detention "

That's a shame the bill wasn't passed.

looks like democrats once again prove they do not care about national security or 600k people out of work.
politics is more important. so much for the party of the working guy.

i wonder where these clowns are going to fly to next. probably hawaii hell why not.

the democrats aren't in control of the senate...the Republicans are....so this is McConnell and Trump that own this....just as the government employees that I am talking to daily...including a DEA agent in the field, risking her life, not getting paid.

Back
Top Bottom