• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Senate approves stopgap spending bill

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Government is funded for a couple months.

The Latest on the fight over funding for a U.S.-Mexico border wall and a potential partial government shutdown (all times local): 10:03 p.m.

The Senate has approved legislation to temporarily fund the government and avoid a federal shutdown over President Donald Trump’s border wall. It does not provide $5 billion Trump wanted for the wall. Instead, it funds border security and other agencies at current levels through Feb. 8.​

Government is funded for a couple months.

The Latest on the fight over funding for a U.S.-Mexico border wall and a potential partial government shutdown (all times local): 10:03 p.m.

The Senate has approved legislation to temporarily fund the government and avoid a federal shutdown over President Donald Trump’s border wall. It does not provide $5 billion Trump wanted for the wall. Instead, it funds border security and other agencies at current levels through Feb. 8.​
So Congress blinked

So Congress blinked

holy crap you are blind. Trump didn't get a dime for his wall so... trump blinked from $5 billion for his wall, down to $1.6 billion for his wall, now down to nothing for his wall. He got nothing.

Okay... trump wins? :lol:

DuJ7Hp2XgAEu_C3.jpg

holy crap you are blind. Trump didn't get a dime for his wall so... trump blinked from $5 billion for his wall, down to $1.6 billion for his wall, now down to nothing for his wall. He got nothing.

Okay... trump wins? :lol:
The Congress clearly didn't want to deal with the optics of a shutdown at Christmas or they would have passed a longer spending bill and dared Trump not to sign it. Nothing has changed they have won nothing but time. Pelosia is in a box right now if she approves money for a wall she won't get elected as speaker. I bet a back room deal was made to give her long enough to get elected as speaker then once that is done she will push through additional wall funding. Watch !

The Congress clearly didn't want to deal with the optics of a shutdown at Christmas or they would have passed a longer spending bill and dared Trump not to sign it. Nothing has changed they have won nothing but time. Pelosia is in a box right now if she approves money for a wall she won't get elected as speaker. I bet a back room deal was made to give her long enough to get elected as speaker then once that is done she will push through additional wall funding. Watch !

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Pelosi got her way. Trump got NOTHING. and trump had already owned the shutdown so those "optics" were all on him. Talk about being a dupe for fake news. :lol:

I'm at a loss to understand why Trump folded. I predicted he would dig-in. This is going to hurt him with his base, and the comments on Fox & Breitbart seem to indicate he really teed-off his supporters in those two venues.

The only thing I could figure, is: He needs the GOP to protect himself as the **** hits the fan, so maybe he gave them a pass to get to the meat of demonizing & warring with the Dems (in Feb forward)?

I'm at a loss to understand why Trump folded. I predicted he would dig-in. This is going to hurt him with his base, and the comments on Fox & Breitbart seem to indicate he really teed-off his supporters in those two venues.

The only thing I could figure, is: He needs the GOP to protect himself as the **** hits the fan, so maybe he gave them a pass to get to the meat of demonizing & warring with the Dems (in Feb forward)?

It is Christmas, and too a lot of CongressCritters are refusing to show up to work.

Kick The Can

What's Congress' vacation got to do with his folding?

For your review:

More than 40 percent of House members have missed at least one vote this lame-duck session, leading to attendance problems that have prohibited the outgoing Republican majority from advancing legislation that Democrats don’t want to help them pass — and a smaller subset have missed at least half of all lame-duck votes.
https://www.rollcall.com/news/politics/members-whove-skipping-votes-lame-duck-session

Did Trump fold or is he suddenly ending the war in Syria to free up that already allocated "defense" funding to build the Great Wall Of Trump? After all, Trump is a businessman and his business is now keeping campaign promises - "winning" in Syria and finding "other funds" for the Great Wall Of Trump all done with one great big surprise tweet! MAGA

Did Trump fold or is he suddenly ending the war in Syria to free up that already allocated "defense" funding to build the Great Wall Of Trump? After all, Trump is a businessman and his business is now keeping campaign promises - "winning" in Syria and finding "other funds" for the Great Wall Of Trump all done with one great big surprise tweet! MAGA
That's an interesting theory. Though I'm not sure those military funds could be used for Trump's wall. I think he may be very limited in what funds he can re-allocate, if any.

And if your theory holds water, he's making a mess out of Syria.

I think I agree this hurts his base bigly. But their are quite a bit of republicans in congress that don't want to stop illegal immigration. Their voters want it to stop and a majority of those in the republican side of congress do to but not enough to overcome united democrats. So Trump didn't have much of an option and the Republicans in congress want to save face with their voter base by not have their names attached to a big spending bill that didn't include funding for a wall so they do a stop gap 2 month spending plan so they don't have to look bad. Its sad.

But what's that got to do with Trump's caving?

When it is difficult/impossible to get any work done because folks do no not show up to work then the work has to wait.

Really Chomsky, this is not rocket science.

That's an interesting theory. Though I'm not sure those military funds could be used for Trump's wall. I think he may be very limited in what funds he can re-allocate, if any.

And if your theory holds water, he's making a mess out of Syria.

Yep, Syria was such a fine place when Obama had it all under control and then Trump messed it up. Let's turn Syria over to our NATO partners for a while as a test exercise.

It's very simple for Trump to keep his campaign promises - just convince Mexico to pay for the wall.

I think I agree this hurts his base bigly. But their are quite a bit of republicans in congress that don't want to stop illegal immigration. Their voters want it to stop and a majority of those in the republican side of congress do to but not enough to overcome united democrats. So Trump didn't have much of an option and the Republicans in congress want to save face with their voter base by not have their names attached to a big spending bill that didn't include funding for a wall so they do a stop gap 2 month spending plan so they don't have to look bad. Its sad.
Well, Trump does indeed have an option. Call a presser, and make a big show out of signing the veto, and in a loud voice tell Congress to get to work and give him something he can sign. That's why it's called the bully pulpit.

And that's what Clinton did to Gingrich with his bills. Take a look at Clinton's veto record; over three dozen!

Yep, Syria was such a fine place when Obama had it all under control and then Trump messed it up. Let's turn Syria over to our NATO partners for a while as a test exercise.
Well, Syria was brought-up by you and is your point. My comment was in Trump caving.

When it is difficult/impossible to get any work done because folks do no not show up to work then the work has to wait.

Really Chomsky, this is not rocket science.
A veto is done by a stroke of the President's pen. That's all the work it takes.

Pelosi is not going to push through wall funding. Its now a dead issue.

Well, Syria was brought-up by you and is your point. My comment was in Trump caving.

Too many seem to think that until Iran and Russia (perhaps Assad too?) are driven out of Syria then we must "stay the course". Trump caved when he stopped repeating the nonsense that Mexico would pay for the Great Wall Of Trump.

Pelosi is not going to push through wall funding. Its now a dead issue.
I agree. It's now gone for good.

Now whether Trump can let it go, remains to be seen. But Congress is done with it.

Back
Top Bottom