• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sen. Rockefeller Wants FCC to "End" MSNBC and Fox News.

Do you approve or diapprove of the FCC "ending" MSNBC and Fox News?

• Approve

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Disapprove

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Something else (explain)

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
More than just retransmission consent ails our television markets. We need new catalysts for quality news and entertainment programming. I hunger for quality news. I'm tired of the right and the left. There's a little bug inside of me which wants to get the FCC to say to Fox and to MSNBC, "Out. Off. End. Goodbye." It'd be a big favor to political discourse, our ability to do our work here in Congress, and to the American people, to be able to talk with each other and have some faith in their government and, more importantly, in their future.

Senator Rockefeller Wants FCC To 'End' Fox News, MSNBC

More than just retransmission consent ails our television markets. We need new catalysts for quality news and entertainment programming. I hunger for quality news. I'm tired of the right and the left. There's a little bug inside of me which wants to get the FCC to say to Fox and to MSNBC, "Out. Off. End. Goodbye." It'd be a big favor to political discourse, our ability to do our work here in Congress, and to the American people, to be able to talk with each other and have some faith in their government and, more importantly, in their future.

He's absolutely right. political discourse probably would be heightened if both channels ceased to exist tomorrow. With that said, he didn't propose any legislation or said that this is what he's planning to do. He just said there's a little "bug inside of him" that would like this which to me reads as if he's saying "wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to deal with MSNBC or Fox from now on?

People are just blowing it out of proportion. When there's any actual legislation proposed to do anything like this or if theres really any kind of fight in congress for this then I'll start worrying.

He's absolutely right. political discourse probably would be heightened if both channels ceased to exist tomorrow. With that said, he didn't propose any legislation or said that this is what he's planning to do. He just said there's a little "bug inside of him" that would like this which to me reads as if he's saying "wouldn't it be nice if we didn't have to deal with MSNBC or Fox from now on?

People are just blowing it out of proportion. When there's any actual legislation proposed to do anything like this or if theres really any kind of fight in congress for this then I'll start worrying.

I'm more of a fan of the idea that discourse is the way it is due to the polarisation of political elites. :shrug:

I'm more of a fan of the idea that discourse is the way it is due to the polarisation of political elites. :shrug:

I'd agree that it is a mix of the two, but I do believe that Fox and MSNBC has played their share.

I disagree with Rockefeller. Having a government approval committee for complex issues such as which broadcast has a liberal or conservative slant would be overly complex and unworkable. Such a committee, even if it is somehow correct in executing its task, would be a virtual magnet for griping and complaining.

Having a list of nono words is easy, but this is several times more complex.

I'm waiting for the first "Approve" vote to be cast from the "progressive" left (aka, communist/marxist fans).

Kind of like I waited for an Obama hater to ruin the medal of honor thread.

I'm waiting for the first "Approve" vote to be cast from the "progressive" left (aka, communist/marxist fans).

My real response is I don't care, but I will go ahead and vote approve for ya :)

Bah, the voting is anonymous :(

I am not "progressive" left aka communist/marxist/devil worshiper/puppy killer, but I voted yes just for you (I was not the first yes though, so go ahead and keep thinking it was one of them evil progressives.)

edit: on topic, a part of me wanted to slap the lady taking forever in line ahead of me when I was getting coffee this morning, this does not mean that I would ever act on this. At times we kind of half wish things that we would never really do, or want to happen. The important part is if we choose to act on them.

Get back to me when he introduces legislation and I will join in the protesting. Still a little part of me wishes the same thing as he does, despite me despising FCC and any government censorship of the airwaves or communications and despite that I would never, ever support such actions as that..

Last edited:
As the New York Times points out, "There is little the Federal Communications Commission can say about Fox News or MSNBC since the channels are on cable, not delivered over the broadcast airwaves."

In this case, the FCC is about as useful as the UN.

I don't think it's right to destroy a company like this, but I do think they need to be held accountable for when they lie. Freedom of the press implies that they are free to pursue their responsibility to inform the public without fear of government reprisal, not that they're free to delude us and keep us scared in order to make more money. News, like many other things, has been corrupted by business.

I called Soros, he's gonna try to log in after he finishes eating a bunch of babies and getting a swastica tattoo on his chest and vote yes for you.

I called Soros, he's gonna try to log in after he finishes eating a bunch of babies and getting a swastica tattoo on his chest and vote yes for you.

Soros is up in heaven fighting the Koch brothers for the rights to divinity.

As much as I would love to see the end to cable news, this isn't the way.

What a dumb ass, to shut them down would be unconstitutional - 1st Amendment.

I think of all of the progressive people I know, believe in democracy and there should not be a requirement that you must pay taxes in order to vote - which is something you support.

It is--and should be--a major concern of the American people when a member of Congress suggests that the 1st Amendment should be abolished.

Now is the time to send the signal that we won't stand for this kind of action, from Congress. If we wait for legislation to be introduced, it may be too late.

I'm waiting for the first "Approve" vote to be cast from the fascist right.

Well, people shouldn't be fooled by the attempt by the left to lump Fox News in with MSNBC. That's a trick by the propagandists. Anyone that has a brain knows that Fox News is nowhere near the level of duplicity that comes out of MSNBC.. Trying to lump them together, has the affect, psychologically, of steering people into thinking that they are one in the same. They are not even close, but nice try!

Tim-

Well, people shouldn't be fooled by the attempt by the left to lump Fox News in with MSNBC. That's a trick by the propagandists. Anyone that has a brain knows that Fox News is nowhere near the level of duplicity that comes out of MSNBC.. Trying to lump them together, has the affect, psychologically, of steering people into thinking that they are one in the same. They are not even close, but nice try!

Tim-

They are both the exact same in function, nothing but propaganda machines, but Fox is more like a Rolex of propaganda and MSNBC is kinda like a Timex.

Liberals get their first challenge ever from the once all-leftist media, and they curl up in the fetal position.

You didn't hear conservatives trying to outlaw ABC, NBC, CBS, NPR, CNN, the NY Times, Chicago Tribune, LA Times, Washington Post, San Fran Chronicle, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, all these many decades..

Conservatives finally get a real source for news, along with Drudge, and liberals cry like the lifetime wimps they are.

Rockefeller was really talking about Fox, he threw in MSNBC just so he wouldn't sound biased, which he is, plus we do have freedom of speech in this country, so what is he talking about here, ending that so we just hear what he thinks we should hear.

I watch Fox all day, and I do not see what is wrong with their slant. I usually don't watch Beck cause it's too much like a monologue, but I love O'Reilly, and believe he tries to be fair.

The government needs to be hounded, otherwise they'd start doing anything they wanted.

Rockefeller needs to take a stiff drink and go to bed.

He should have kept his mouth shut. You don't need to say everything you're thinking. He's a dumbass.

Freedom of the Press was seen by our Founders as being of utmost importance in being a watchdog over any presumption of a corrupt Government. It has no role in Government being a watchdog over what it presumes to be a corrupt Press.

This is just one more hint of The Fairness Doctrine. Liberals cannot handle dissent, cause they are never wrong :)

Back
Top Bottom