• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sen. Lindsey Graham warns President Trump: Loss in wall battle could be 'end of his presidency'

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Sen. Lindsey Graham warns President Trump: Loss in wall battle could be 'end of his presidency'

But-the-problem-has-gotten-out-of-hand-in-Washington-DC-where-the-National-Mall-is-teeming-with-litter-.jpg

Garbage overflowing on the Ellipse near the White House.

1/3/19
Sen. Lindsey Graham wants President Donald Trump to stick to his guns in the fight over funding for a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border and warned that giving in to Democrats' demands could be "the end of his presidency." With a partial government shutdown – sparked by the fight over funding for the wall – in its second week, the South Carolina Republican on Wednesday told Fox News host Sean Hannity that GOP lawmakers won't back down "until we get the money." Trump is seeking the approval of more than $5 billion toward the construction of a border wall. "I'll tell you exactly how this is going to end," Graham told Hannity. "The president is going to challenge the Democrats to compromise and if they continue to say no, they're going to pay a price with the American people." "If he gives in now, that's the end of 2019, in terms of him being an effective president," Graham said. "That's probably the end of his presidency," he added.

During a fruitless meeting with congressional Democrats on Wednesday, Trump reportedly indicated that he believes his image is part of what's at stake in the negotiations. According to CNN, Trump rejected a Democratic proposal to temporarily end the shutdown because he worried, "I would look foolish if I did that." With Republicans like Trump and Graham believing the GOP's future is riding on the outcome of this budget battle – and the Democrats apparently equally unwilling to budge – an end to the government shutdown appears to be unlikely anytime soon. Nancy Pelosi, expected to be selected as the next speaker of the House, said in an NBC interview Thursday morning that she is unwilling to give Trump any money for a border wall. "No. Nothing for the wall," she said. When asked Wednesday how long he was willing to keep the government shutdown in order to get the money he wants for a border wall, Trump told reporters, "As long as it takes."

Trump stated he would be proud to shutdown the government and he got his wish. If this is the metaphoric political hill that Trump and Graham wish to perish on, so be it.

America didn't provide Democrats with a blue wave on November 3rd to surrender to Trump/GOP extortion techniques.

69% of Americans Don’t Think Trump's Border Wall Is a Priority, Poll Says

Voters Say It Again: Trump’s Wall Isn’t Worth a Shutdown

GOP senator calls on Congress to end shutdown without border deal

But-the-problem-has-gotten-out-of-hand-in-Washington-DC-where-the-National-Mall-is-teeming-with-litter-.jpg

Garbage overflowing on the Ellipse near the White House.

Trump stated he would be proud to shutdown the government and he got his wish. If this is the metaphoric political hill that Trump and Graham wish to perish on, so be it.

America didn't provide Democrats with a blue wave on November 3rd to surrender to Trump/GOP extortion techniques.

69% of Americans Don’t Think Trump's Border Wall Is a Priority, Poll Says

Voters Say It Again: Trump’s Wall Isn’t Worth a Shutdown

GOP senator calls on Congress to end shutdown without border deal
Ann 'Crypt Keeper' Coulter stated she believes Trump will eventually cave on the wall.

Clearly, she and Graham are raising flags implicitly to tell Trump that his presidency depends on this, so they can keep the shutdown going, in hopes the Democrats will eventually get beaten down and cave.

Sadly, it's not a bad strategy.

shrug...

Not much anyone can do when one side is willing to negotiate and the other side won't.

shrug...

Not much anyone can do when one side is willing to negotiate and the other side won't.

That is not what this is, this is one party having at the top of the agenda humiliating the other party.

It is bad sportsmanship, it is destructive and it is a danger to us all.

shrug...

If by the other side, you mean democrats, they are negotiating: "No wall and you can have $1.3 billion" is their offer. Donald Trump rejected that offer without any cards to play. This is an example of both sides negotiating, and democrats having the upper hand.

That is not what this is, this is one party having at the top of the agenda humiliating the other party.

It is bad sportsmanship, it is destructive and it is a danger to us all.

Their agenda is not to waste taxpayer dollars on a border wall. Trump is refusing to concede without any leverage. This is a Trump shutdown, plain and simple.

If by the other side, you mean democrats, they are negotiating: "No wall and you can have $1.3 billion" is their offer.

That's not a negotiating offer. That's their position and they are willing to leave the government shut down over it.

Ann 'Crypt Keeper' Coulter stated she believes Trump will eventually cave on the wall.

Clearly, she and Graham are raising flags implicitly to tell Trump that his presidency depends on this, so they can keep the shutdown going, in hopes the Democrats will eventually get beaten down and cave.

Sadly, it's not a bad strategy.
Somebody’s been paying attention. :thumbs:

That's not a negotiating offer. That's their position and they are willing to leave the government shut down over it.

Of course it is. And it would be easy enough to accept. The problem is that Trump has painted himself into a corner and has no leverage to counter offer. If he doesn't sign, then the continued government shut down is directly on his shoulders. If he does sign, then he caves to democrats and looks foolish in front of his base and government resumes functioning. As an American citizen and tax payer (I'm assuming) which option do you think is better for the country?

How insurgent of him.

Of us, those who have had enough of all of the lies from Washington as all of these generally second and third rate immoral people refuse to so much as attempt to get the work done.

As we watch America fail, as we watch conditions get worse

This is how I signed my posts for many many month:

SIGNED:
HAWkEYE10
:gunsmilie
PROUD Member of THE REBELLION since 9.10.15

Some folks told me that I was kidding

Of us, those who have had enough of all of the lies from Washington as all of these generally second and third rate immoral people refuse to so much as attempt to get the work done.

As we watch America fail, as we watch conditions get worse

This is how I signed my posts for many many month:

SIGNED:
HAWkEYE10
:gunsmilie
PROUD Member of THE REBELLION since 9.10.15

Some folks told me that I was kidding

notice what that proud member of the rebellion posted just last month:
I am pretty sure that we have had conversations about your listening and comprehension skills.....I have a couple of times said "Trump may have just saved America" but that is overwhelmed with the thousands of times that I have talked about how Trump and everything around Trump is proof of Americas decline.
[emphasis added by bubba]
that rebellious member posts out of both sides of his mouth

notice what that proud member of the rebellion posted just last month:
[emphasis added by bubba]
that rebellious member posts out of both sides of his mouth

Clearly you did not understand the phrase "TRUMP IS CHEMO".

And hundreds of other things I have said.

EDIT: I think I first heard Trump is Chemo here from Bucky, but I repeated it because it is right.

Back
Top Bottom