• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sen. Cory Gardner to break with Republicans on Trump’s wall — it’s the right thing to do

NeverTrump

Exposing GOP since 2015
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

It is the right thing to do if he wants to keep his job, no question.

Gardner must be watching the poll that say most Americans either don't want a wall or are like me and don't care about a wall.

Trump needs to realize that some in his own party is in self-preservation mode, and will do what their constituents want, and not worry about his broken campaign promise.

Gardner must be watching the poll that say most Americans either don't want a wall or are like me and don't care about a wall.

Trump needs to realize that some in his own party is in self-preservation mode, and will do what their constituents want, and not worry about his broken campaign promise.

Lots of 2020 speculation too.

Fake news:
8r5w6cczw7c21.jpg

The one R from a blue state? Not worried. Mitch won’t even allow the floor vote unless Trump signs, and let’s face reality the shutdown hurts blue districts and voters far more. Who gets the blame is irrelevant, The heat on Rs is at maximum but the heat on Dems can only go up. No one on WIC and food stamps (which will stop in three weeks) is ideologically opposed to the border wall and federal workers would rather be paid then not have a border wall. Let them stew a little longer

Gardner is in a tough spot in Colorado. This decision from him won't help him much.

That stance illustrates how Gardner is squeezed in Colorado, where Trump still has an avid following. Anil Mathai, chairman of the Republican party in suburban Adams County, said on a local radio show that Gardner’s stance on the shutdown was “ludicrous.”

David Pourshoushtari, a spokesman for Colorado’s Democratic Party, said Gardner is “trying to have it both ways, and I think Colorado voters are going to see straight through that.”

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/01/20/gop-senators-cory-gardner-donald-trump/

Is he Spartacus too?

Glad to see him announce this. I suspect he will still lose in 2020 as Colorado is changing.

No more weed for Cory. It affected his mind or his courage.

I said this on another thread, but I figured this has been going on for a month and it's appropriate for this topic. Just to be clear, I am NO moderate nor do I think the partial government shutdown is hurting the American people or our way of life, but if it's bipartisanship, compromise, negotiating, or whatever word or term you want to use that you're looking for, this might be one of the easiest ways to solve this ordeal. Here you go:

- Permanent amnesty for illegals that are ALREADY here and have 30 days to register, but the border wall is fully funded (construction can start whenever Trump gives the green light), any any illegal that doesn't meet the 30th day deadline are deported and will be barred from the US

- Children of illegals that are born here are citizens of the US (has to be in law, not just word of mouth), but they can't vote until they're 30 years old

- Illegals that are already here and are registered as citizens can qualify for welfare (so long as the requirements to actually be on it are met), but they have to pay taxes for the next 5 years (if they do), and those not on welfare because they didn't qualify must pay their current taxes and as a penalty pay an additional 10 years of taxes as a penalty for entering our country illegally in the first place (not all at once, but they must pay for them, and they can figure out what the number would be)

- Drones and and other devices can be used at the border, but the wall has to be up first with border patrol agents occupying it

- Illegals that were granted amnesty and had registered as citizens of the US are allowed to vote, but not for the next 25 years

- Illegals that were granted amnesty and had registered as citizens of the US are protected under our laws, but they must face the penalties if they violate any of them, hence sanctuary cities/states must cease to exist

- Illegals seeking asylum here in the US can do so, but they will be disqualified from becoming citizens, and will be barred and deported from the this country if they break any of our laws

- Illegal families can be reunited with their kids and/or loved ones can qualify for amnesty and registration for US citizenship (so long as the kids are here within the 30 day grace period), but MS-13 members, drug cartel members, and anyone with a criminal history here already or are coming in are deported immediately and are barred from entering our country

- If illegal adults want to avoid penalties and want to vote, they can join the military and they HAVE to serve for 15 years in order to not pay the fees afterwards and vote when they get out, BUT they HAVE to accept wherever their orders are IF they get in, and if they don't make it into the military then the normal rules of what they have to do apply (penalties, no voting, etc.), and if they had been dishonorably discharged or deserted the position, they will be deported and barred from entering the US

- Any US citizen that were born in this country, whose parents were already citizens (making those people automatic US citizens), or who immigrated here legally and had applied and received their US citizenship will NOT have to pay for those who came here illegally, even after those illegals registered within that 30 day time period, so taxes will not be raised to compensate their stay (that will be on the part of the illegals), and no government official(s) will make laws, regulations, nor order any legal citizen, whether born here or are immigrants who came legally that were not granted amnesty but registered as US citizens, to pay for those who came illegally

If anyone has anything else to add to this, go ahead, but this is fair. The big one is having those who came in illegally pay their own way for anything they want or do, so the burden of taxes will not rest on the shoulders of legal citizens. The other big one is to prevent politicians and political activists from registering one way or the other for a political party's gain. Another major issue is to prevent lawbreaking people from entering our country and keeping the legal citizens, and those that were granted amnesty, safe. And you go other things in there, but the illegal aliens get to stay, enjoy our Constitution, AND can start a better life, so long as they themselves follow our laws.

Again, if this is about bringing both sides together and coming up with something where all parties get what they want, here you go. I don't like amnesty nor do I think illegals should be given it, but if an effort has to be made from one side crossing the aisle to get something done so the other side is not left out, then let it be something similar to this. Otherwise, if you disagree with something like I laid out and doing it under the banner of compromise, YOU'RE part of the problem. And with Trump offering a 3 year extension of the DACA program and having it rejected by the Left shows whose really keeping the government partially closed.

To add to the post I just put on here, if Trump offered all that to Congress, and the Democrats and the establishment Republicans don't agree to any of this (even if it's just 1 thing), Trump, under his Constitutional powers he was given, should declare a national emergency at the border. It'll take longer because an illegal immigration activist posing as a judge will be sought out the Washington Establishment, then that person will rule Trump's declaration "unconstitutional", even though it's not, then Trump's lawyers will go and duke it out with the judge saying that it is legal for the President to do that. And finally, after almost a year has passed, Trump's declaration will be ok'd and the border wall will start to go up. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised, after today, if nothing is done and Trump just goes ahead and declare the national emergency.

I'm just saying that the compromise I put up on this thread is reasonable if we had to compromise and be bipartisan in this matter, so the part of government that's closed is opened up again and we can move on. Again, I hate giving amnesty to those who broke our immigration laws, especially when we know those illegals won't get penalized, but if a proper compromise is put in place so they WILL be penalized (in many areas) for breaking the law, I can go for it, as much as I don't like the idea. Our own citizens have things taken away from them if they break the law constantly (minor or major, so why not illegals. Anyway, this would be my proposal if I were Trump.

From the exact same CBS poll. Go figure.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pelosi-has-edge-over-trump-on-budget-negotiations-says-cbs-news-poll/

7cabfbaf-7f6a-40a0-aae3-99931401b654.png

0fd9cd60-5abf-4790-9ba6-3fd812dafbd3.png

The one R from a blue state? Not worried. Mitch won’t even allow the floor vote unless Trump signs, and let’s face reality the shutdown hurts blue districts and voters far more. Who gets the blame is irrelevant, The heat on Rs is at maximum but the heat on Dems can only go up. No one on WIC and food stamps (which will stop in three weeks) is ideologically opposed to the border wall and federal workers would rather be paid then not have a border wall. Let them stew a little longer

Americans do not surrender to terrorists, be they foreign or domestic!!!

Americans do not surrender to terrorists, be they foreign or domestic!!!

Which is why Donald Trump will stand strong against Nancy, whose caucus includes legit Islamic terrorism sympathizers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, a shame he's such a chicken that he left the safety of the pack and struck his neck out.

Yeah. Real bold. Like Romney and some others, living and dead, he knows what will get him media kudos.

Gardner is going to have a very difficult reelection attempt next year. Denver and the surrounding liberal areas have exploded since his last election. There are also tons of federal employees here; and Trump's disastrous shutdown is almost universally hated all over the state, even in the very conservative areas. Gardner is listening to his constituents for once.

Gardner most definitely wants the wall. He just wants the government open more. He would commit political suicide in CO to do anything different.

Back
Top Bottom