• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sen. Al Franken On The Economy, Unemployment, And The Budget

Jucon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Watch / read and discuss. He covers many topics so I encourage you to watch the entire video in your free time. Anything you agree with or disagree with?

YouTube - Sen. Franken's Speech On The Economy, Unemployment, And The Budget

Sen. Frankens Floor Statement On The Nations Budget Deficits | Al Franken | Senator for Minnesota

I am constantly impressed by Sen. Franken's insight. His level headed approach gives him the ability to avoid playing politics and say it how it is. I am so glad I voted for this man.

Same. I'm regularly awestruck by what an amazing man he is, and I am honored to have him as my state senator.

Same. I'm regularly awestruck by what an amazing man he is, and I am honored to have him as my state senator.

Mn has given us a comedian as a senator and a wrestler as a governor, what's next? Maybe an Ice fisherman!

Mn has given us a comedian as a senator and a wrestler as a governor, what's next? Maybe an Ice fisherman!

The comedian is working out great. He's extremely intelligent and really good at cutting through all the crap and talking about what is really happening.

The wrestler.... look, we're sorry about that one ok? We didn't know he was going to be a 9/11 truther when we elected him!

It takes talent to be a comedian and Frankin is much more. He is a successful writer and he attended Harvard and graduated cum laude with a B.A. in political science. Remember when a B movie actor became president?

It takes talent to be a comedian and Frankin is much more. He is a successful writer and he attended Harvard and graduated cum laude with a B.A. in political science. Remember when a B movie actor became president?

SIR I don't know what you refer to, because the Reagan years were a wonderful period of lower taxes and lower government spending and NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. What are you doing? Don't open that history book, everything was great, ok?

Let me guess. You didn't watch the video or read the transcript, did you?

Hey, hey hey! What's wrong with ice fishermen??? You ever sit in a tiny house in the middle of a frozen lake with someone? Spend a few hours out there and you'll really get to know the person you're with.

sir i don't know what you refer to, because the reagan years were a wonderful period of lower taxes and lower government spending and nothing bad happened. What are you doing? Don't open that history book, everything was great, ok?

ok. .......

Yes and I thought was crazy also. I am sure Franken is a smary guy, but just like most professions, just being smart is not enough to be be great or even very good.

There have been studies that followed the smartest kids in Calif one year. They tracked their careers over many years and found that these all-stars did no better at professionally than if you took a dart and picked a group of all kids.

We learned this with this and the prior president that experience matters.

Yes and I thought was crazy also. I am sure Franken is a smary guy, but just like most professions, just being smart is not enough to be be great or even very good.

There have been studies that followed the smartest kids in Calif one year. They tracked their careers over many years and found that these all-stars did no better at professionally than if you took a dart and picked a group of all kids.

We learned this with this and the prior president that experience matters.
Bush had experience and he ruined the country. If someone isn't smart enough to learn from experience then it's meaningless.

Certain professions require being smart. Doctors, lawyers and leaders of nations.

Last edited:
Bush had experience and he ruined the country. If someone isn't smart enough to learn from experience then it's meaningless.

Certain professions require being smart. Doctors, lawyers and leaders of nations.

I agree that being smart is sort of a prerequisite. What people like I presume you don't understand that it is a startpoint, not the final determinant of if you are ready for a job.

I agree that being smart is sort of a prerequisite. What people like I presume you don't understand that it is a startpoint, not the final determinant of if you are ready for a job.

Who really is ready for the job of President? The best people for that job won't even run for it.
As for senators or representatives there really is no experience necessary.

Last edited:
Did anybody besides the OP and I watch the video??

As opposed to the lawyers and other jagoffs every other state has offered up? Send the damn ice fisherman!!!

Watch / read and discuss. He covers many topics so I encourage you to watch the entire video in your free time. Anything you agree with or disagree with?

YouTube - Sen. Franken's Speech On The Economy, Unemployment, And The Budget

Sen. Frankens Floor Statement On The Nations Budget Deficits | Al Franken | Senator for Minnesota

I am constantly impressed by Sen. Franken's insight. His level headed approach gives him the ability to avoid playing politics and say it how it is. I am so glad I voted for this man.

The charts and graphs do indeed paint an interesting picture. When did unemployment begin to skyrocket? And it coincided with who exactly taking over the house and senate (or did we somehow become a monarchy and its all king Georges fault...which case...what the hell are we paying for congressmen for in the first place)?

And while I agree completely with his passioned statement about deficits and their destructive nature, did he not just go from deficits bad, but unemployment is terrible and getting no better...so lets add MORE money to the deficit? And for HOW LONG? Why dont they just stop *****footing around and stop bumping unemployent up another year or two or five and just create the pending national dole?

When does it end? DOES it end?

Look...I have an idea...and Ive said it for years...instead of another bank bailout or extending welfare and unemployment indefinitely, lets just skip to the chase and have the federal government pay off every home in America under $250,000.00 if you make less than $250,000.00. Sure...the bill would be staggering...but it would the ultimate stimulus plan...it would effect everyone. No...i dont want it to happen. No I dont think its a good idea. But better than continued individual and corporate welfare.

Lets say they pass the unemployment bill and add another 2 years. What are they doing to cut spending to reduce deficits? What are they doing to fix unemployment...to stimulate economic growth? Anyone that has ever created a successful business knows that what the fed is doing is KILLING the economy. So...stop wasting time and pissing away money...Pay off everyones mortgages.

If you watched the video from beginning to end, that question was already answered, and more than once.

The charts and graphs do indeed paint an interesting picture. When did unemployment begin to skyrocket? And it coincided with who exactly taking over the house and senate (or did we somehow become a monarchy and its all king Georges fault...which case...what the hell are we paying for congressmen for in the first place)?

And while I agree completely with his passioned statement about deficits and their destructive nature, did he not just go from deficits bad, but unemployment is terrible and getting no better...so lets add MORE money to the deficit? And for HOW LONG? Why dont they just stop *****footing around and stop bumping unemployent up another year or two or five and just create the pending national dole?

When does it end? DOES it end?

Look...I have an idea...and Ive said it for years...instead of another bank bailout or extending welfare and unemployment indefinitely, lets just skip to the chase and have the federal government pay off every home in America under $250,000.00 if you make less than $250,000.00. Sure...the bill would be staggering...but it would the ultimate stimulus plan...it would effect everyone. No...i dont want it to happen. No I dont think its a good idea. But better than continued individual and corporate welfare.

Lets say they pass the unemployment bill and add another 2 years. What are they doing to cut spending to reduce deficits? What are they doing to fix unemployment...to stimulate economic growth? Anyone that has ever created a successful business knows that what the fed is doing is KILLING the economy. So...stop wasting time and pissing away money...Pay off everyones mortgages.

Please explain how Bush ruined the country. This should be fun...I'll pop popcorn. I cant wait to see how the head of the executive branch of government passed laws, budgets, regulations, etc over the legislative branch.

If you watched the video from beginning to end, that question was already answered, and more than once.

Nope...he lost me as soon as he went into the partisan bull****. Well...not as soon as...that happened fairly quickly. But not long therafter thereafter...yep. About 5 minutes of him is all I can stomach.

Who really is ready for the job of President? The best people for that job won't even run for it.
As for senators or representatives there really is no experience necessary.

That seems to be the line Obama tossed out when running against Clinton and then McCain. The problem isn't saying no one is FULLY prepared, but that being totally unprepared is the same as having some good experience that seems to indicate there is a probability for sucess.

Sort of like when you interview someone for a job. You would not hire a corporate executive who had no experience in the field you were hiring for.

Sort of like when you interview someone for a job. You would not hire a corporate executive who had no experience in the field you were hiring for.
Would you hire an executive that had experience driving a corporation into the ground just because he had experience?

Would you hire an executive that had experience driving a corporation into the ground just because he had experience?

No, my hires usually did a fine job and I did look at relevant experience.

Very unnuanced question.

Lesson no. 1. What a politician says, and what he does are of great importance, Lesson No. 2. See lesson No. 1. :)

First one needs to act responsible, then you can tlak about how responsible you are all day long.

Tim-

Back
Top Bottom