• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Semiautomatic Rifles

Semiautomatic rifles should be....

• Banned completely

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Banned if they are "military style" (e.g., have a pistol grip or adjustable shoulder stock)

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Not banned, but harder to buy (e.g., treated as NFA weapons)

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Regulated primarily at the state-level, as they are now

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Unregulated, except for general gun laws (as in most red states)

Votes: 25 49.0%
  • Other

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
Well i assume you properly would not answer this question if not true but I assume you don't own a post may 19, 1986 machine gun
I went through boot camp with the M16A1, and I was trained on the M60E1 when I reached my permanent duty assignment. So while I may be proficient with machine guns, I have never found the need for one outside of the military. My firearm needs gravitate towards hunting, and they can vary depending upon what I'm hunting.

However, I will add that should my needs ever change so that I find myself requiring a fully-automatic firearm, then you can be absolutely certain that I would obtain one or manufacture one of my own.

The fact you do not believe an AR15 is an assault weapon is immaterial to the determination of how an assault weapon or assault rifle is defined by law. As you are well aware In many states an AR 15 would be considered an assault rifle/weapon and have restrictions.
You still haven't explained your motivation for wanting to outlaw pistol grips and flash suppressors on semi-auto long guns.

Is it that you just enjoy violating people's civil liberties? Do you have some other alternative motivation for wanting to outlaw them that I am not aware of?

Your attempt to restate gun regulations as "we ban firearms and all the bad guys are helpless to do bad things" is bullshit. Its your subjective bias false descriptive of the purpose of gun regulations and what they do.
Is this an admission that the real motive for gun control is simply that progressives enjoy violating people's civil liberties??

Before you ask that answer why you think they are unconstitutional.
That one is easy. Gun restrictions are only constitutional if they serve a compelling government interest.

No compelling government interest is served by outlawing pistol grips and flash suppressors on semi-auto long guns.

No in fact you do.
No I don't. I use actual proper definitions.

You ignore how actual state laws define assault weapons
I have repeatedly commented on the matter.

Commenting on something is not ignoring it.

and replace it with your own subjective definition you unilaterally pronounce as the only definition.
I use the actual proper definition.

You also engage in the tiresome name calling
No. It's progressives who do that.

and labeling of people you disagree with
Labels make it easy to refer to different bodies of people.

If I merely said "those people over there" you would have no idea who I was referring to.

rather than actually address the issue and specifically how laws define an assault weapon.
There is no issue left to address.

I guess we could discuss what sorts of penalties should be placed on progressives for maliciously violating people's civil liberties for no reason.

I propose an infinite tax where society strips progressives of all of their possessions and leaves them with nothing.

It's more lenient than I'd like. I wouldn't mind seeing all progressives be horsewhipped in public as well. But some people might find that unduly harsh.

The above statement is another example of Toggle expressing a subjective belief as a legal fact.
No it isn't. It is an example of me stating a fact as a fact.

What exactly is a "legal fact" anyway?

It is false.
Hardly. Watch the news in coming weeks and watch Congress doing what the NRA tells them to do.

The above statement is another example of Toggle expressing a subjective belief as a legal fact. It is false. Anyone can read the second amendment and read what all laws on gun regulation have said. The NRA can lobby Senators and Congressman not to pass laws that regulate weapons but this does NOT mean the federal government doesn't have the power to and won't again. It depends on the political will of the politicians in power at either the state or federal level. The NRA in practice is very effective at preventing gun regulations from being passed yes because Senators can use the power of the filibuster as I already explained. The federal government can not pass a blanket prohibition on owning weapons but it and state level governments have and continue to regulate weapons to varying degrees which the NRA has not stopped which are public fact.
Again, watch the news in coming weeks and watch Congress doing what the NRA tells them to do.

Its hyperbolic statements like the above that show Toggle is not interested in genuine discussion of the actual laws of the US but wants to huff and puff about anti gun regulators posing again as Bubba the all powerful gun owner who no one can tell what to do.
Progressive dislike for reality does not make the truth a hyperbolic statement.

I've no objection to discussing the actual laws of the US. But I question whether there is anything to discuss.

If there is some issue with the law that you'd like to discuss, go ahead and post it. If I see anything interesting or disagreeable I'll be sure to reply.

Another 2A absolutist.
Civil liberties are important.

-----------------------------------------------------------
The effects of doing nothing are becoming too expensive to bear.
If you want to see costs, look at all the civil liberties that progressives have maliciously violated for no reason over the years.

-----------------------------------------------------------
What state in the US bans AR15?
Because it isn't NJ. And we have some of the strictest gun laws in the United States.
That is incorrect. New Jersey still bans the AR-15.

The Supreme Court will fix that next year though.

That is incorrect. New Jersey still bans the AR-15.

The Supreme Court will fix that next year though.
NJ does not ban the AR15. My husband bought one last year. At a local gun shop, so by no means "banned".

What is banned are magazines over X size (but I couldn't tell you specifically what number that is) and certain types of stocks. Not the actual gun.

No it isn't. It is an example of me stating a fact as a fact.

What exactly is a "legal fact" anyway?

Hardly. Watch the news in coming weeks and watch Congress doing what the NRA tells them to do.
Again, watch the news in coming weeks and watch Congress doing what the NRA tells them to do.

Progressive dislike for reality does not make the truth a hyperbolic statement.

I've no objection to discussing the actual laws of the US. But I question whether there is anything to discuss.

If there is some issue with the law that you'd like to discuss, go ahead and post it. If I see anything interesting or disagreeable I'll be sure to reply.
In regards to your first statement:

You state subjective opinions posed as facts repeatedly which is why you never back anything up with a reference.

In regards to your next statement :

You state subjective opinions and pose them as legal definitions, i.e., what an assault rifle or weapon is defined as in state laws.

In regards to your statement about the NRA blocks all gun regulations, you made two statements showing again your difficulty to differentiate legality from your own subjective personal biases about the NRA. In law the federal and stategovernments can and do have the scope of power (jurisdiction) to pass gun regulations and have and continue to do so. The fact the NRA has been successful in preventing gun regulations from being passed does not mean they block and have blocked all gun regulation laws otherwise the ones in existence would not be there.

Next using your reference your dislike for that reality and the fact that gun regulations do exist, does not make your exaggerated (hyperbolic) statement that the NRA blocks all gun legislation truthful, but in fact untruthful. I would therefore suggest you practice what you preach. Next anyone can compare my comments to yours. I have backed up all of my legal and statistical references. You have not precisely because you make unsubstantiated subjective opinions with no proof and try pass them off as unilateral and undisputed facts.

Next your statement: "I've no objection to discussing the actual laws of the US. But I question whether there is anything to discuss." is contradictory. You might want to slow down before you respond. The fact you question whether there is anything to discuss necessarily means you have objections discussing the actual laws. Furthermore you haven't. You have deliberately ignored what state laws have defined as assault weapons insisting your personal subjective definition of them is the only one you will discuss. So you don't just contradict yourself in the very next sentence but repeatedly in your past responses.

I completely respect your being against all gun regulations. I do not agree with your blanket denial of them all and think that is unreasonable but I appreciate it is your position and that of many Americans.

I appreciate your civility in response.

In regards to your first statement:

You state subjective opinions posed as facts repeatedly which is why you never back anything up with a reference.

In regards to your next statement :

You state subjective opinions and pose them as legal definitions, i.e., what an assault rifle or weapon is defined as in state laws.

In regards to your statement about the NRA blocks all gun regulations, you made two statements showing again your difficulty to differentiate legality from your own subjective personal biases about the NRA. In law the federal and stategovernments can and do have the scope of power (jurisdiction) to pass gun regulations and have and continue to do so. The fact the NRA has been successful in preventing gun regulations from being passed does not mean they block and have blocked all gun regulation laws otherwise the ones in existence would not be there.
See: "California, New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts".

You still haven't explained your motivation for wanting to outlaw pistol grips and flash suppressors on semi-auto long guns.

Is it that you just enjoy violating people's civil liberties? Do you have some other alternative motivation for wanting to outlaw them that I am not aware of?

Is this an admission that the real motive for gun control is simply that progressives enjoy violating people's civil liberties??

That one is easy. Gun restrictions are only constitutional if they serve a compelling government interest.

No compelling government interest is served by outlawing pistol grips and flash suppressors on semi-auto long guns.

You ask baiting questions but in fairness you have the right to.

You have asked me questions asking why state laws include pistol grips, flash suppressor on semi auto long guns assuming when I stated those laws I agree with them and then you accuse me and those states of violating people's civil liberties.

I am going to say it again because I know you understand me. My motivations or biases as to gun regulation are already known to you just as yours are.I have been completely up front with you and I will restate it again:

1-I believe regulations (conditions) placed on screening people who want to purchase weapons, store their weapons and how they train to use them, maintain them and keep their training up to date are all necessary to prevent risks and when such conditions have been implemented they have reduced risks including:
a-unintentional injuries
b-gun theft
c-access of weapons then used in domestic violence scenarios, other acts of violence, crime and homicide
d-suicide.

The motivation of gun regulation is to prevent all of the above, reduce the risk of all the above.

The motivation is to prevent injuries and deaths from any gun when it comes to regulation of guns,

The motivation is exactly the same as why we have regulations that require occupational health and safety regulations in the work place.

The risk prevention measures I advocate come from a combination of military, police, federal, state, non profit agencies and the insurance industry/

My motivation comes from not wanting children and innocent civilians constantly being under seige.

My motivation comes from feeling sorry that you Americans can't walk in your own streets or send your kids to school without fear of being shot.

My motivation comes from feeling sorry that in a supposed country of freedom you are so afraid of your fellow citizens you carry a weapon and think that is a sign of being free (civil liberty).

My motivation comes from having lived in a conflict zone as a medic and volunteered in other conflict zones and having had to shove parts back in a body or shove my hand in a gun hole or bag body parts.

My motivation comes from knowing three people commit suicide with weapons all service people.

My motivation comes from working for years in the legal system with criminals and domestic violence scenarios where weapons including guns were used.

My motivation comes from wanting it safer when a police officer does a traffic stop or domestic violence all or firefighters or paramedics respond to a scene.

My motivation comes from emergency room doctors, nurses, and the loved ones of gun victims.

My motivation comes from having to have gone to suicide scenes.

So no my motivation comes from all the above not my wanting to take away your "civil liberties".

I never understood any human who finds a gun is symbol of freedom. To me weapons are a sign of human failure to find peace and harmony with the environment we live in.

I do understand necessity hunters or people who use weapons in gun clubs and ranges. Both as I have known them understand me perfectly well. They know I have no issue with them. I exclude them from the above just as I would anyone who uses them professionally.

Now as for your attempt to drag me into a debate about grips, flash suppressors, etc., your problem is with why the states have placed such specifications in their regulations because they think such features make it easier to kill people. Take it up with them.

I live in a country where as of May 1, 2020, the Government of Canada has prohibited over 1,500 models of assault-style firearms and certain components of some newly prohibited firearms (the upper receivers of M16, AR-10, AR-15, and M4 patterns of firearms). There are also new maximum thresholds for muzzle energy (greater than 10,000 Joules) and bore diameter (20 mm bore or greater). Any firearm that exceeds them is now prohibited.

I would imagine you won't move to Canada to live given the above and that is fine with me.

Back
Top Bottom