• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Selling Your Organs

Johnny

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I was thinking about this.

I find it disturbing that you can donate your organs. But you or your family can't sell your organs.

Everybody else, the doctors, insurance companies, the hospital, all get to make money off of your organs except for YOU.

I believe we are the owners of our own body and making it illegal to sell your organs is against liberty.

Thoughts?

I find it disturbing that you can donate your organs. But you or your family can't sell your organs.

Everybody else, the doctors, insurance companies, the hospital, all get to make money off of your organs except for YOU.

I believe we are the owners of our own body and making it illegal to sell your organs is against liberty.

Thoughts?

I once tried selling an organ on ebay but ebay told me it was against their rules to sell organs. I really don't understand what is wrong with that when people sell pianos all the time.

i tried to sell a hammond organ once, but no-one would buy it, so i had to glue it back on this guy

Hammond_450x300.jpg

Thoughts?

I don't see anything wrong with it. For one thing, a whole lot more people would sign up to be an organ donor to help their families. And for those who hadn't signed up, when doctors approached them (as they often do), it would, well, sweeten the pot.

I don't see anything wrong with it. For one thing, a whole lot more people would sign up to be an organ donor to help their families. And for those who hadn't signed up, when doctors approached them (as they often do), it would, well, sweeten the pot.

I doubt it. Probably what would happen is that the majority of organs would come from third world countries where people would sell them for food, only to have their long term health diminished for a short term gain or organs would be harvested for them by gangs.

Good point. In that case restrict sale to U.S. citizens only.

Good point. In that case restrict sale to U.S. citizens only.

Than you will have issues with people going overseas to have those same ill-gotten organs put in.

There is a simple solution. Make organ donation opt-out instead of opt-in. No rights are lost because people still have control over their bodies and you will probably see a huge increase in donations.

What happens in another countries borders in not our concern. If that's the route they go than so be it.

My point here is giving people tge chance to make money off their organs.

What happens in another countries borders in not our concern. If that's the route they go than so be it.

My point here is giving people tge chance to make money off their organs.

:shock: I will ignore the clear contrast in morality I have with your first statement and keep on practical issues with your idea.

Even if you restrict it to one country, there are very well long term health concerns with donating an organ. I suspect that health care costs are going to continue rising and we are not going to get rid of medicare. Do you really think it would be a good idea to health care more expensive?

:shock: I will ignore the clear contrast in morality I have with your first statement and keep on practical issues with your idea.

Even if you restrict it to one country, there are very well long term health concerns with donating an organ. I suspect that health care costs are going to continue rising and we are not going to get rid of medicare. Do you really think it would be a good idea to health care more expensive?

If I had it my way, healthcare would be affordable because the market would adjust.

As far as my first comment, I know I sound like an asshole but I don't believe in policing the world. While it's sad and wrong I believe that would be an issue that country needs to deal with themselves.

I agree with your point as well as you have the moral ground.

What about someone who's an organ donor when they die? They put it in their will that the family has authority to sell their body? As opposed to donating for free?

If I had it my way, healthcare would be affordable because the market would adjust.

It would be nice to have affordable health care.

As far as my first comment, I know I sound like an asshole but I don't believe in policing the world. While it's sad and wrong I believe that would be an issue that country needs to deal with themselves.

I agree with your point as well as you have the moral ground.

The problem is that if legit organ sales happen anywhere, than the problems are going to bleed everywhere. At least I cannot think of a scenerio where this would not happen. I don't think we should be causing avoidable problems for other countries.

What about someone who's an organ donor when they die? They put it in their will that the family has authority to sell their body? As opposed to donating for free?

I think the after death thing might work, depending on how its handled. There would have to be some serious paperwork and tracking though.

Now there's an ethical dilemma for ya'. With UHC, of course, you're right. Our first illustration of rationing care. O!M!G!

Now there's an ethical dilemma for ya'. With UHC, of course, you're right. Our first illustration of rationing care. O!M!G!

Care will always be rationed. Even with a free market, its rationed by price.

Care will always be rationed. Even with a free market, its rationed by price.

That would be true of anything, wouldn't it, Mega? Remember the Death Panel concerns? That's more what I'm talking about here.

i tried to sell a hammond organ once, but no-one would buy it, so i had to glue it back on this guy

Hammond_450x300.jpg

Hamster is always driving red super cars and we know what they say about men that drive that type of car.

Did you use a lot of glue or just a little???

Thoughts?

I used to sell plasma twice a week, when I was 18-19 and very poor.
I really don't see a difference.

I doubt it. Probably what would happen is that the majority of organs would come from third world countries where people would sell them for food, only to have their long term health diminished for a short term gain or organs would be harvested for them by gangs.

Dude that already happens.

I watched a whole documentary on it about black market organ sales in the Philippines.
It helped a lot of people, both the seller and the buyer.

Dude that already happens.

I watched a whole documentary on it about black market organ sales in the Philippines.
It helped a lot of people, both the seller and the buyer.

Yeah, I saw one too, but it was East Indians selling kidneys to Europeans.

Just FYI, it's rare that anyone makes much off organ transplants. First off, insurance companies only stand to lose money, not make it. Second, if the organ procurement fails because the organ doesn't make it back in time or is otherwise rejected, insurance companies do not reimburse the hospital for the transportation costs (which are insanely high). Finally, even if everything goes well and the insurance company pays the hospital and the surgeon, transplants can easily take upwards of 10 hours and require several doctors, so the actual pay is in no way exorbitant. Transplants tend to be the type of thing that hospitals do for the prestige and to provide comprehensive care, not for the profit.

I think stem cell organ replacement will become more viable before selling your own organs does.

I wouldn't support a legal organ market because of the inequities it would create in an already imbalanced world. There is already a black market for it, but oh well. It is nothing compared to the public health problems that would be created if people could sell their organs willfully, not to mention the burdens on medical resources just because people want to make a buck. I don't support giving people the right to choose in this department, sorry.

That would be true of anything, wouldn't it, Mega? Remember the Death Panel concerns? That's more what I'm talking about here.

Actually I see no problem with categorizing health care along its effectiveness and cost. That was one thing that could have helped bring down costs.

Back
Top Bottom