• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Selling Fear and Catastrophe to Those who Supposedly Love Freedom

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
THe true genius of Trump is convincing those who say they are self-reliant and free that they need a strongman. What has become of Conservatism?

I read Trump’s draft acceptance speech a couple of hours ago. It’s a remarkable piece of oratory, cannily crafted, framed by massive lies and distortions, crammed with incoherence, and yet, I’m afraid to say, scarily potent. It invents a reality – that the U.S. is in a state of chaos, lawlessness and soaring crime; that the world is careening toward catastrophe – and then makes a classic argument for a strongman to set things straight.

This is a very new departure for politics in a liberal democracy. We’ve never heard an appeal from a major party platform to junk traditional democratic norms, and cede power to a new tyrant...

The speech is entirely about fear, to be somehow vanquished by a single man’s will to power. Its core message is what America was founded to resist. Its success would be an abolition of the core promise of this country for two centuries – that self-government is incompatible with the rule by the whims and prejudices and impulses of a man on a white horse.

Andrew Sullivan Liveblogs the RNC, Night 4

Trump is the Right's Messiah. And, that is, simply put, a damned shame.

Andrew Sullivan is gay.

Why will the speech work? Because it manages to frame the narrative – using false or misleading data – by making this a change election. He somehow spins every disconcerting piece of news at home and abroad into a compelling social imaginary of chaos, decline and frustration. He blames Obama for everything bad and gives no credit for anything good. If you know nothing but feel insecure, the picture he paints will be electrifyingly persuasive.

Yep. But, one has to hope that the bulk of the country is smarter than the dumbest common denominator.

Gotterdammerung approaches like a slowly gathering storm.

Gotterdammerung approaches like a slowly gathering storm.
One has to wonder if this country will choose to follow a fear driven, hate cult. If this stuff sells during relatively prosperous times, we're in big trouble.

THe true genius of Trump is convincing those who say they are self-reliant and free that they need a strongman. What has become of Conservatism?

I'm not sure how or why you came to that conclusion about Conservatives.

That's almost suggesting that Conservatives shouldn't push for themselves to be represented in Congress or the SCOTUS because they're tough and can stand on their own? that sounds rather senseless.

I'm not sure how or why you came to that conclusion about Conservatives.

That's almost suggesting that Conservatives shouldn't push for themselves to be represented in Congress or the SCOTUS because they're tough and can stand on their own? that sounds rather senseless.

That's not even close to the argument made in the quote. What does electing conservative representatives and presidents have to do with senseless worship of a strongman spewing fear-based propaganda?

This country ardently searches for fear driven hate cults to follow.....as long as they seem to be taking power.

We love power.

One can almost hear the faint creaking of the power structure shifting.

Change is finally coming.

And it's a big one.

This country ardently searches for fear driven hate cults to follow.....as long as they seem to be taking power.

We love power.

And, lies...apparently. From Sullivan's live blog:

After seven straight years of job growth, record stock prices, extraordinary technological innovation, and 4.9 percent unemployment, this is how Trump will describe the economy tonight: “our roads and bridges are falling apart, our airports are in Third World condition, and 43 million Americans are on food stamps.” This is summed up as “domestic disaster.”

So, now I know how this speech got out so early. Someone knifed the funny haired one in the back.

'Republican source' leaks Trump speech to Dems - POLITICO

A super PAC backing Hillary Clinton on Thursday night mysteriously obtained and leaked drafts of Donald Trump’s nomination speech — and those of several other convention speakers — hours before the night’s proceedings were set to kick off, sending the Trump campaign scrambling on the final night of what has been a chaotic convention.

The super PAC, Correct the Record, obtained a document containing the drafts from “a Republican source who had access to it and they sent it to us,” said Correct the Record founder David Brock, a close Clinton ally.

Democrats are no different. Hillary sells the fear of police to black Americans.

I've seen Democrats who think that Trump is going to "deport the Mexicans" lol. Most Latinos are Mexican American and can't be deported, doesn't stop the uninformed from saying it though.

Democrats are no different. Hillary sells the fear of police to black Americans.

I've seen Democrats who think that Trump is going to "deport the Mexicans" lol. Most Latinos are Mexican American and can't be deported, doesn't stop the uninformed from saying it though.

Yeah, but Democrats are supposed to want a nanny state. You guys are supposed to hate it. We used to be able to count on that division to keep us safe from falling down the abyss. When both parties begin to demand a tyrant to save them from the boogieman, we are in deep ****.

Yeah, but Democrats are supposed to want a nanny state. You guys are supposed to hate it. We used to be able to count on that division to keep us safe from falling down the abyss. When both parties begin to demand a tyrant to save them from the boogieman, we are in deep ****.

remind us again why you are supporting Hillary?

That's not even close to the argument made in the quote. What does electing conservative representatives and presidents have to do with senseless worship of a strongman spewing fear-based propaganda?

I was addressing the statement you gave in the OP which I bolded. If your statement means nothing then why present it?

like guns being a big issue for guys with small dicks?

that's really stupid. most of the gun haters are cowards or eunuchs. Not gun owners. I choose a real constitutional right over one that was made up by the courts-even though I do support abortion. I just don't see it being nearly as important as the right of citizens to be armed. are you worried about knocking someone up and having to raise the child?

I gave up hope for the mainstream GOP when Bush got us into Iraq, and tried to sell our ports to the United Arab Emirates. That bum single handedly made me leave the GOP.

that's really stupid. most of the gun haters are cowards or eunuchs. Not gun owners. I choose a real constitutional right over one that was made up by the courts-even though I do support abortion. I just don't see it being nearly as important as the right of citizens to be armed. are you worried about knocking someone up and having to raise the child?

Not any less stupid than thinking men who find Atheism and Abortion to be major issues worth defending are somehow gay. :roll:

I gave up hope for the mainstream GOP when Bush got us into Iraq, and tried to sell our ports to the United Arab Emirates. That bum single handedly made me leave the GOP.

Same here, but it was more than just Bush himself for me. It was the whole gang during that time that turned me off. The lies from Cheney, the spin in RW media, Rummy the dummy, etc. I still believe we could have won the peace in Iraq, but the arrogance and refusal by the administration to listen and learn from their mistakes destroyed that opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom