• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Sell Towed Trucks To Pay Down Costs Of Policing Convoy Protest, Ottawa Mayor Suggests

We have liberal judges and prosecutors, supported by liberal politicians that advocate releasing violent criminals on no bail, and not prosecuting violent offenders but when it's conservatives peacefully protesting, you want to steall their property and sell it. That's great government.
If the truckers get mouthy they should get a knee on their neck for ten minutes or a slug in their back

I think she'll recover but yes, the claims of the Ottawa police that those horses were used because the crowd was being aggressive if complete BS. I had that feed on for over two hours and the only aggression was the line of police coming forward pushing the protesters back. Which, fine, that's their job, but those horses were not in response to any aggression by those people. So her and the reporters shot point blank with the gas canister will probably prevail given the fact there are so many independent feeds that will show what was going on at the time.
I would very much agree that the crown / protesters being aggressive is complete BS. That being the case, I fully expect the government and their lap dog media to be parroting this non-stop to justify whatever actions / abuses of power they take. The hope would be that many, if not the majority, of the people will see through this BS.

An unfortunate collision between a partially disabled woman on a mobility scooter and a police horse. Wrong place, wrong time.

The Ottawa protest was a thorn in the side of the liberals and political elites in the government, one, realistically, they were going to tolerate only so long without responding. The liberals and political elites in the government had a number of possible responses, including the one they chose.

That the liberals and political elites in the government chose that response, rather than even so much sitting down and talking to the protest leaders, is rather telling. Rather telling in as much as the attitude of 'We superiors don't sit down and talk with you inferiors. Shut up and do as you are told' clearly came through.

If there is anything that those who have been deemed as 'inferiors' should remember when entering the voting booth, it is this, and also with the knowledge that those deemed as 'inferiors' greatly outnumber those that have have falsely deemed themselves as superior.

In the time until the next election, by all means continue to be that much needed, and much deserved, thorn in the side of the liberals and political elites in the government, by using every legal means available, which also includes further protests such as this one.

The US truckers who are starting their caravan, should do much the same, for much the same reasons.

"The convoy will potentially begin in California as early as mid-February and arrive in Washington, DC, as late as mid-March, potentially impacting the Super Bowl LVI scheduled for 13 February and...​

I would hope that those in the US federal and state governments might make wise choices than the Canadian government in handling such a similar protest, but I'm rather skeptical, because it sure looks like they are both staffed by the same type of liberals and political elites in those governments.

Merely pointing out the error in your post.... asset forfeitures are not a progressive idea, but have been substantially promoted by the Cons.

There's no error in my post. A fascist progressive poster is cheering on a fascist liberal PM's fascist behavior.

But here you are within inches of claiming it's all Trump's fault.

Leftists cheer abuses such as this.
Government confiscation of personal property without compensation . . . Doesn't that violate someone's fundamental rights?

Guess it's just yet another principal of Western jurisprudence cast aside and discarded by the liberals / political elites who are in power, at the moment.

I would very much agree that the crown / protesters being aggressive is complete BS. That being the case, I fully expect the government and their lap dog media to be parroting this non-stop to justify whatever actions / abuses of power they take. The hope would be that many, if not the majority, of the people will see through this BS.

An unfortunate collision between a partially disabled woman on a mobility scooter and a police horse. Wrong place, wrong time.

The Ottawa protest was a thorn in the side of the liberals and political elites in the government, one, realistically, they were going to tolerate only so long without responding. The liberals and political elites in the government had a number of possible responses, including the one they chose.

That the liberals and political elites in the government chose that response, rather than even so much sitting down and talking to the protest leaders, is rather telling. Rather telling in as much as the attitude of 'We superiors don't sit down and talk with you inferiors. Shut up and do as you are told' clearly came through.

If there is anything that those who have been deemed as 'inferiors' should remember when entering the voting booth, it is this, and also with the knowledge that those deemed as 'inferiors' greatly outnumber those that have have falsely deemed themselves as superior.

In the time until the next election, by all means continue to be that much needed, and much deserved, thorn in the side of the liberals and political elites in the government, by using every legal means available, which also includes further protests such as this one.

The US truckers who are starting their caravan, should do much the same, for much the same reasons.

"The convoy will potentially begin in California as early as mid-February and arrive in Washington, DC, as late as mid-March, potentially impacting the Super Bowl LVI scheduled for 13 February and...​

I would hope that those in the US federal and state governments might make wise choices than the Canadian government in handling such a similar protest, but I'm rather skeptical, because it sure looks like they are both staffed by the same type of liberals and political elites in those governments.

I'm hearing a lot of rumors about future protests in both the states and Canada. And I will say, IF any protest works itself into being as big as Ottawa they have no one to blame but themselves.

Side note, there is suppose to be a larger gathering tomorrow at the area of the War Museum in Ottawa tomorrow 11:30. It'll be interesting to see how big it gets, and how police deal with it.

...The US truckers who are starting their caravan, should do much the same, for much the same reasons.

IMO those State's controlled by Republican governments, as well as those states with truly liberal Democrat leadership will simply allow the truckers to protest.

But those who are controlled by activist Governors might be less "tolerant," and IMO Washington DC won't tolerate much at all.

We'll probably see attempts to demonize the effort as much as possible too.

Of course, only time will tell both how much support the US Truckers have, and how things go on the route.

I'm hearing a lot of rumors about future protests in both the states and Canada. And I will say, IF any protest works itself into being as big as Ottawa they have no one to blame but themselves.
True. The liberals and political elites in the Canadian government escalated, escalated beyond all rhyme or reason or logic, not the protesters, having pulled out and implemented the nuclear options of property confiscation, license and insurance suspension and especially financial asset freezes, all seeming rather tyrannical and authoritarian in nature.

Side note, there is suppose to be a larger gathering tomorrow at the area of the War Museum in Ottawa tomorrow 11:30. It'll be interesting to see how big it gets, and how police deal with it.
The electorate have had enough of the mandates and aren't going to stand for them, but rather stand against them.

The liberals and political elites in the government need to remember that their leadership of the government comes by the:

Consent of the governed
In political philosophy, the phrase consent of the governed refers to the idea that a government's legitimacy and moral right to use state power is justified and lawful only when consented to by the people or society over which that political power is exercised. Wikipedia

Without that Consent of the governed they are essentially out of power.

IMO those State's controlled by Republican governments, as well as those states with truly liberal Democrat leadership will simply allow the truckers to protest.

But those who are controlled by activist Governors might be less "tolerant," and IMO Washington DC won't tolerate much at all.

We'll probably see attempts to demonize the effort as much as possible too.

Of course, only time will tell both how much support the US Truckers have, and how things go on the route.
If the US convoy comes through my town, or close by, I very much inclined on handing out bottled water and cheering them on from the side walks.
But being in Michigan, I suspect they'll take a further Southern route which wouldn't afford me the opportunity to do so.

Do you understand that a person needs to be vaccinated to be able to do what you want to see happen?

These truckers aren't vaccinated so they can't come to America to boycott delivering anything to Canada from the US.

Do you understand that Ottawa is in Canada, a different nation from the US, the truckers are Canadian and not US citizens?

You might want to do some reading about this subject.

Do YOU understand that many Truckers belong to Unions? That others will still cooperate because they all represent a brotherhood in a most important method of delivery?

That many American truckers participated in the bridge blockages?

Just like all those Canadian truckers in the Ottawa protest, one can expect American truckers may do the same down here.

Of course, only time will tell, and with the easing of mandates in several States, there may not be as much concern.

This is just ****ing ridiculous!

Gee, I wonder who the REAL threats to freedom are up there in Ottawa? Punishing everyone Mr. Trudeau's government thinks "cannot be tolerated."

Just goes to show how a government can use "emergency powers to fight the threat," when there really was no threat.

Except that asset forfeiture laws were generally promoted and backed by Conservatives.

This protest had very, very little support in Canada. 80% of Canadians and 90% of truckers were vaccinated. This was a fringe group pursuing a fringe issue. The protest has no future in Canada. Most of the fuel for the protest came from the US.
Isn't this the consistent progressive confusion between being anti-vaccination (a science argument) with being anti-vaccination mandate (a right and government overreach argument) yet once again?

Hint: It's not the vaccine, it's the mandates to be vaccinated, it's the constraint on personal freedoms if not vaccinated (natural immunity being ignored), it's the vaccine passports.
There's a difference you are ignored, you know?

Why do you want to create a second class citizen for what should be a personal medical decision, just because you don't agree with it?
(Not that I expect any of this to register with you. It'll all go into the progressive memory black hole reserved for thoughts and ideas that don't comport with your political ideology)

Meddling in the political affairs of another democracy is repugnant.

just look at the "law and order" folks caring about punishment.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This isn't punishment, CaughtInThe. Punishment comes after being convicted of a crime.

The state seizing property of someone who has not been convicted of a crime and selling it off is a violation of one's civil rights in a free society.

Merely pointing out the error in your post.... asset forfeitures are not a progressive idea, but have been substantially promoted by the Cons.

They have been promoted by law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, and prosecutor-friendly judges, i.e. the criminal justice establishment. Other than those very select few cross-sections of our polity, everyone left, right and center seems to despise the idea of civil asset forfeiture. Myself included.

They have been promoted by law enforcement agencies, prosecutors, and prosecutor-friendly judges, i.e. the criminal justice establishment. Other than those very select few cross-sections of our polity, everyone left, right and center seems to despise the idea of civil asset forfeiture.

I have NEVER supported asset forfeiture. That is simply government theft.

For the longest time after banks began to provide saving accounts at almost no interest, I kept all my earnings in a personal safe. When I started law school, I used that money to pay the bills.

Imagine being pulled over on the way to the State my law school was in and having all that cash "confiscated" with ME having the obligation to prove it was mine all legally earned? Otherwise the confiscators get to keep it?

Like I said, government theft.

When people have nothing left to lose is when they become the most dangerous. The left is asking for a fight but im not sure they are prepared for the stakes they are setting.

The destroy at all costs attitude is going to esculate the war to a level everyone will regret.
We're into the final phases of collapse followed by the imposition of authoritarian rule. The vast majority of people are clueless about what is happening and why.

The left has always supported using government force against the citizenry, and most people in the middle are "go along to get along" types.

The people on the right will object, and there will be some violent protests, but the Establishment has been setting this stage for decades.

They have every intention of systematically killing millions of citizens who won't bend their knee.

It is history 101.

More from the People's Republic of Canada - dozens of officers conducting sudden "inspections" of local businesses who sold coffee to protestors.

I missed seeing that you had already posted this and just did as well. It's obvious this is just a family owned business, which makes me wonder if the various Tim Hortons that remained open are needing "inspections" too? I'm guessing not.

Mayor Watson of Ottawa is very wrong to make such a suggestion. Towed trucks which have been impounded should be returned to their rightful owners once towing and storage charges have been paid fully. Then if those owners have been charged and convicted of crimes in courts of law, then they should face fines and in the most extreme cases possible jail time. If vehicles have to be sold to raise money to pay fines, court costs and legal fees, then so be it.

There is another complicating factor in this mess. The lawyer for the class action suit against the freedom convoy truckers by residents of Ottawa have gotten an Ontario court to approve a Mareva injunction to secure property and funds from being used or moved out of Ontario's legal jurisdiction pending the trial, so that those funds and property can be used to pay the $300 million+ law suit should the plaintiffs win the case. This is why some accounts and property are appearing to be seized and frozen in parallel to those being seized and frozen by the banks and financial institutions on behalf of Government of Canada. However Mareva injunctions still allow owners the ability to withdraw money from frozen accounts to buy the necessities of life and to pay for legal fees.

It's going to be a legal mess to sort this all out. Mayor Watson is only increasing the mess, which will make sorting this all out even harder.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

I have NEVER supported asset forfeiture. That is simply government theft.

For the longest time after banks began to provide saving accounts at almost no interest, I kept all my earnings in a personal safe. When I started law school, I used that money to pay the bills.

Imagine being pulled over on the way to the State my law school was in and having all that cash "confiscated" with ME having the obligation to prove it was mine all legally earned? Otherwise the confiscators get to keep it?

Like I said, government theft.

Remember though, Nixon started the War on Drugs, and the Reagans finished it.

Then G.W. ushered in the Patriot Act.

The two biggest travesties against the American People in modern history, and they incurred during Republican Administrations. If it sounds like I'm partisan, you better believe I am! I bitterly regret my vote for Reagan!

If the US convoy comes through my town, or close by, I very much inclined on handing out bottled water and cheering them on from the side walks.
But being in Michigan, I suspect they'll take a further Southern route which wouldn't afford me the opportunity to do so.

Just remember, in a well-known large Republican state, you can hand out water to demonstrator, but not to a fellow citizen standing in line to exercise his right to vote; think about that.

Remember though, Nixon started the War on Drugs, and the Reagans finished it.

Then G.W. ushered in the Patriot Act.

The two biggest travesties against the American People in modern history, and they incurred during Republican Administrations. If it sounds like I'm partisan, you better believe I am! I bitterly regret my vote for Reagan!

I too opposed the war on drugs, or at least the elements that targeted citizens usage as opposed to ending the trafficking sources and chains.

I did not vote for G.W., and I also opposed the Patriot Act openly and vociferously at the time as going too far into reducing American freedom in the name of security.

I always oppose efforts to do that regardless of which Party is responsible.

Just remember, in a well-known large Republican state, you can hand out water to demonstrator, but not to a fellow citizen standing in line to exercise his right to vote; think about that.

Comparing apples and oranges. In the first case it can be anything from supporting the efforts of the protestors, to simply being generous.

In the case of "handing out water" to people standing in line waiting to vote, the problem is attempting to influence a voter via using the gift to open a dialogue and proselytize. That is a major no-no as far as I am concerned.

I too opposed the war on drugs, or at least the elements that targeted citizens usage as opposed to ending the trafficking sources and chains.

I did not vote for G.W., and I also opposed the Patriot Act openly and vociferously at the time as going too far into reducing American freedom in the name of security.

I always oppose efforts to do that regardless of which Party is responsible.

And I must admit, you are very consistent in that, which is something I can respect. (y)

I'd vote this mayor. **** the covidiots.

Back
Top Bottom