• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Self Defense v. Animal Cruelty

Should self defense be a acceptable defense in animal cruelty, precieved or real case

• Yes

Votes: 17 73.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Travelsonic

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Do you think there should be exceptions - if there aren't already - in animal cruelty laws for what could be considered self defense?

For example, if you are in some public place that is frequented by Canada geese and somebody there finds himself being chased/pecked at/etc by one, despite knowing he isn't anywhere near a nest, and decides to kick the goose (injuring it or inadvertently killing it) and escaping (as in not sticking around to kick, stomp, or further deface the body of the goose) to get help. Would that be considered self defense to you?

At the college I go to, we have a huge goose problem - Canada geese that didn't migrate this year. They are everywhere - literally hundreds of them eating, honking, and sh*tting. Now mating season has come, and they are getting aggressive. I mapped out where the nests are - aside from one or two right now, I know most of them are on roofs away from the public.

Even still, issues arise - one guy was cut up pretty badly a few weeks ago by an aggressive goose, and I've had geese following me, hissing and honking madly in front of buildings where the nests were on the roof, not at ground level, and it is such where I am beginning to consider the circumstances of being cornered, or in any other situation where force is necessary to get out of it, what to do, consequences, etc, and am confused / unsure about it all, especially seeing videos of goose attacks online.

Last edited:
I'd be worried of having that exception because it would be used to death by defense lawyers...I'd expect animal cruelty cases to be completely dependent on whether there was danger to the person who allegedly committed animal cruelty.

But I think the exception is still a valid one. If an animal dies by your hand because it attacked you, and didn't stop attacking you, its not cruelty, its defense.

If you hit an animal, and it starts to attack you in its own defense, and you end up killing/beating it, thats on you.

Is it really cruelty if it self defense?Thats calling it burglar cruelty when a homeowner shoots a burglar or rapist cruelty if someone stops the rapist. What if someone tries to shoot you and you shoot them first is it potential murderer cruelty?

It depends. If it is really self defense.

Recently there was a case here in Los Angeles where a guy tried to argue he killed a 6 month old german shepherd in self defense...
It was a completely bogus case.

If it is a legimitmate case I support it...but where it is bull ****.....I'm going to call it out every time.

I could see self defence overridding animal cruelty in some cases but I believe it should only be considered in cases when serious bodily harm or death may result. Geese are not likely to cause either, believe me I know. I grew up on a farm and as a small child was constanly getting my ass whooped by a wide assortment of animals including geese, turkeys, roosters, goats, others. These only resulted in a few cuts and bruises and would consider striking (or more) them as abuse.

The purpose of animal cruelty laws has never been to forbid people from fending off attacks. Cruelty is something completely different.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE5pGeCUM-Y"]YouTube- south park clip[/nomedia]

MmmmM, roast goose.

The purpose of animal cruelty laws has never been to forbid people from fending off attacks. Cruelty is something completely different.

Just ask the rabid groups like PeTA, who have managed to sway things to their distorted reasoning before.

My roommate has a friend whose pet wallaby was torn to pieces this morning by a pack of neighborhood dogs. Do I think it's animal cruelty for him to hunt those dogs down and put them out of everyone's misery? No.

I think we should all have a moment of silience for the 1000s of victims of geese

Do you think there should be exceptions - if there aren't already - in animal cruelty laws for what could be considered self defense?

For example, if you are in some public place that is frequented by Canada geese and somebody there finds himself being chased/pecked at/etc by one, despite knowing he isn't anywhere near a nest, and decides to kick the goose (injuring it or inadvertently killing it) and escaping (as in not sticking around to kick, stomp, or further deface the body of the goose) to get help. Would that be considered self defense to you?

At the college I go to, we have a huge goose problem - Canada geese that didn't migrate this year. They are everywhere - literally hundreds of them eating, honking, and sh*tting. Now mating season has come, and they are getting aggressive. I mapped out where the nests are - aside from one or two right now, I know most of them are on roofs away from the public.

Even still, issues arise - one guy was cut up pretty badly a few weeks ago by an aggressive goose, and I've had geese following me, hissing and honking madly in front of buildings where the nests were on the roof, not at ground level, and it is such where I am beginning to consider the circumstances of being cornered, or in any other situation where force is necessary to get out of it, what to do, consequences, etc, and am confused / unsure about it all, especially seeing videos of goose attacks online.

Frack the damn geese. If it acts like its going to attack, kick the **** out of it and remind it who the dominant species is.

Animal abuse, pah. I totally don't get this. Anything or anyone that attacks you is subject to an ass-whuppin'.

Are Canadian geese suddenly on the endangered species list or something? Doubt it.

Last edited:
Frack the damn geese. If it acts like its going to attack, kick the **** out of it and remind it who the dominant species is.

Animal abuse, pah. I totally don't get this. Anything or anyone that attacks you is subject to an ass-whuppin'.
Are Canadian geese suddenly on the endangered species list or something? Doubt it.

That is the point of this, should that be an acceptable defense? It should, but we shuold also expect to see nearly every animal cruelty case be based upon self-defense or not.

I happen to hate those f'n geese. They're constantly here in CO too and they're rude, obnoxious jerks who don't know their place. They crap all over the place, stand defiantly when you want to pass, will often act aggressively against humans. Personally, I'd rather see them all shot and leave their carcasses for the foxes. Piece of **** birds!

That is the point of this, should that be an acceptable defense? It should, but we shuold also expect to see nearly every animal cruelty case be based upon self-defense or not.

Taking your boot and giving a goose a decent aerial boost need not be fatal or inflict serious injury, and tends to adjust the goose's attitude. How this could be animal cruelty if the stupid thing was acting aggressive is beyond me.

Now if some moron starts catching the the things, breaking their beaks and then releasing them (like some vile cretin did here a few years back), that is clearly animal cruelty.

The thing about cruelty is that it is causing needless and excessive suffering. Giving a fiesty goose the boot isn't needless nor excessive.

Taking your boot and giving a goose a decent aerial boost need not be fatal or inflict serious injury, and tends to adjust the goose's attitude. How this could be animal cruelty if the stupid thing was acting aggressive is beyond me.

Now if some moron starts catching the the things, breaking their beaks and then releasing them (like some vile cretin did here a few years back), that is clearly animal cruelty.

The thing about cruelty is that it is causing needless and excessive suffering. Giving a fiesty goose the boot isn't needless nor excessive.

....what if we just shoot them dead? No suffering or anything like that, clean and easy. Is it animal abuse?

....what if we just shoot them dead? No suffering or anything like that, clean and easy. Is it animal abuse?

I'm not overly fond of the buggers myself, unless they've been cooked. :mrgreen:

I tend to shoot a few of them every year or two and make Pineapple Sweet-and-Sour goose out of them.

Nah. Just let birds peck ya to death:)

My roommate has a friend whose pet wallaby was torn to pieces this morning by a pack of neighborhood dogs. Do I think it's animal cruelty for him to hunt those dogs down and put them out of everyone's misery? No.

The problem is not the dogs, its their pack "leaders", the humans.
They should never be allowed to own any animals, but should have all of "their" dogs taken away and likely, put under..
Vigilantism is tempting and maybe the only answer if the state/local government is not willing to do anything. And its these low-life dog owners who make things bad, and expensive for responsible animals owners.

Of course not, there are places where there are too many animals, and the heads/flocks must be culled; its our responsibility.
Peta can go to hell.

The problem is not the dogs, its their pack "leaders", the humans.
They should never be allowed to own any animals, but should have all of "their" dogs taken away and likely, put under..
Vigilantism is tempting and maybe the only answer if the state/local government is not willing to do anything. And its these low-life dog owners who make things bad, and expensive for responsible animals owners.

I know and I agree that the owners should never be allowed to have another animal and should be held accountable for what happened to that poor wallaby. The dogs will certainly need to be put down if they can catch them. They are obviously a danger to any living creature smaller and weaker than themselves. Next time it might be a defenseless child they decide to maul.

I know and I agree that the owners should never be allowed to have another animal and should be held accountable for what happened to that poor wallaby. The dogs will certainly need to be put down if they can catch them. They are obviously a danger to any living creature smaller and weaker than themselves. Next time it might be a defenseless child they decide to maul.
This may have happened already, I have heard of very similar things.
Many if not all states are doing something about this, which costs money, increases taxes and makes government bigger, exactly what the tea baggers do not want.
I wonder if they ever think of these things at their protests and rallies?

This may have happened already, I have heard of very similar things.
Many if not all states are doing something about this, which costs money, increases taxes and makes government bigger, exactly what the tea baggers do not want.
I wonder if they ever think of these things at their protests and rallies?

Small government is not synonymous with no government and most people realize that some government intervention is necessary, even those belonging to the Tea Party Movement.

Regardless, I hope they do catch and put down those dogs before it's too late for another small animal or child.

I think if you take out one of those ****ing geese, you should be given a medal for doing a public service. They are some of the nastiest and most aggressive creatures you'll ever encounter. On a scale of rabbit to grizzly bear, they fall somewhere between rabid raccoon and badger with young.

Resurrecting this thread - it is that time of year again.

The other day I was trying to get in to one of the buildings on campus, a goose chased, flew at me. The nest was nowhere near the building entrance [even on the roof maybe]. Next time, I'm carrying a baseball bat or something, **** campus seucirty - and the school - they don't do a damn thing to protect us.

Back
Top Bottom