• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Self Defense In School?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
So I am wondering about this: how would you feel about having self defense classes taught as an elective in school? Or maybe even as part of a sanctioned extra curricular? My thinking is this: something wholistic. Something aimed at kids. We aren't talking firearms training. We are talking about teaching kids to use the most effective weapon: the mind.

The idea would be to teach kids how to properly avoid conflict, how to resolve it, and so on. Potentially even teaching certain kids martial arts: Things like Tai Chi or Aikido. Just wondering how some educators or parents would feel about their kids having the ability to learn how to act/react in difficult confrontational situations.

So I am wondering about this: how would you feel about having self defense classes taught as an elective in school? Or maybe even as part of a sanctioned extra curricular? My thinking is this: something wholistic. Something aimed at kids. We aren't talking firearms training. We are talking about teaching kids to use the most effective weapon: the mind.

The idea would be to teach kids how to properly avoid conflict, how to resolve it, and so on. Potentially even teaching certain kids martial arts: Things like Tai Chi or Aikido. Just wondering how some educators or parents would feel about their kids having the ability to learn how to act/react in difficult confrontational situations.

With school budgets already strained I say no.Plus when I was a kid in school both students in a fight got suspended, they didn't give a rats ass who was the aggressor and who was defending him or her self.So I am not sure it is good idea teaching students something that could get them in trouble at school.It would be sending a mixed message.Here is how you defend yourself but if you defend yourself you will get suspended.

I'm 50/50. If you teach them they'll figure out a way to use it to extract easy lunch money from some wimpy liberal, but it may come in handy none the less.

With school budgets already strained I say no.Plus when I was a kid in school both students in a fight got suspended, they didn't give a rats ass who was the aggressor and who was defending him or her self.So I am not sure it is good idea teaching students something that could get them in trouble at school.It would be sending a mixed message.Here is how you defend yourself but if you defend yourself you will get suspended.

As I stated to someone the other day: I have a zero tolerance policy for zero tolerance policies. Where I went, you didn't get suspended even if you WERE the aggressor. It was circumstantial. It depend on how old you were. It depended on what started the fight. How bad it was. Why you started it, and why you were involved?

I remember a boy starting a fight because another boy was dragging a girl around by her hair. He got lunch duty (like in school detention but shorter), but no suspension. I wish we could go back to that. Sometimes you don't have a choice but to fight back. And it is the same in our society. That is why we have self defense laws that cover the defender.

I dont know. I think a bullet beats the brain every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spouse's school lost their 'hands on' science teacher. he and his grant went to another school that recruited him (and his high dollar grant)
they replaced him with a yoga instructor to teach a class on 'stress management'
in less than three weeks she sent my wife (a teacher) a text saying she could not stand the stress of teaching her class
never notified administration. never returned for her personal items

my son studied karate in elementary school (after school program). don't recall any incidents
many kids study martial arts outside of school. doubt it has an in-school impact
so, i cannot understand an objection to teaching it in public schools, assuming there is time and budget to offer it like PE
my personal recommendation would be judo, as it is a defensive rather than offensive, martial art

and think about it, we already have school sponsored student contact: football, lacrosse, soccer, fast pitch, baseball, basketball, wrestling. and parents - for the most part - support such sometimes violent activities

I was with you until you mentioned Tai Chi and Aikido. :)

Elective?? I think that it should be graduation requirement. I like the idea of integrating conflict resolution with such a class. Teach kids that the first step is ALWAYS to avoid the conflict and if that's not a workable solution, then teach them simple martial techniques that can stop most attackers.

My school had like a one-day self-defense training thing in Grade 9, I do not remember much except always go for the eyes. Also be aware of the law.

At the school where I taught there was that zero tolerance policy in regards to fighting.

If by chance you got jumped by three others and they were beating the crap out of you, you had to simply take it or get suspended. My classes were almost always taught by discussion and so the kids were often, especially after a fight during lunch, asking what I thought they should do if under those circumstances. Being staunchly against this new age wussification of America I certainly have my own opinions on the topic. Nobody should just have to sustain a beating, IMO, due to some arbitrary school policy that does not even allow for the assertion of mitigating circumstances.

But my answer always was, "Hey, you go home and discuss this with your parents, get their thoughts, then make your own decision."

Interpersonal communication and safety courses should be available for students, yes. The problem is finding staff and filling the courses.

Teach it in elementary school. Most in Generation Snowflake would have a meltdown at the thought of having to defend themselves.

Interpersonal communication and safety courses should be available for students, yes. The problem is finding staff and filling the courses.

i see 'finding the staff' to be a symptom, not the problem

as i see it, the actual problem is the problem of children having to leave class to return to their problem homes to interact with their problem parents

how does interpersonal communication and safety instruction overcome being raised in a violent, dysfunctional, poor, unsupportive home where the under-educated parents with weak communication and coping skills have at best an indifferent view about the importance of education

i see 'finding the staff' to be a symptom, not the problem

as i see it, the actual problem is the problem of children having to leave class to return to their problem homes to interact with their problem parents

how does interpersonal communication and safety instruction overcome being raised in a violent, dysfunctional, poor, unsupportive home where the under-educated parents with weak communication and coping skills have at best an indifferent view about the importance of education

I don't know why one must look at the problems of non-cognitive skill development as merely a reflection of parental quality. I suppose for some it insulates people from taking a broader look at to what extent the school can, ought, or should make these skills part of a student's development, but it's a rather tiresome knee-jerk reaction to any sort of programmatic or curriculum question. Social dysfunction in the home is certainly a barrier (there are many others), but these courses are also useful in otherwise middle class, strong education families. There are a substantial number of youth that either do not have those skills or can benefit from having them strengthened.

I don't know why one must look at the problems of non-cognitive skill development as merely a reflection of parental quality. I suppose for some it insulates people from taking a broader look at to what extent the school can, ought, or should make these skills part of a student's development, but it's a rather tiresome knee-jerk reaction to any sort of programmatic or curriculum question. Social dysfunction in the home is certainly a barrier (there are many others), but these courses are also useful in otherwise middle class, strong education families. There are a substantial number of youth that either do not have those skills or can benefit from having them strengthened.

from my anecdotal experiences the students most in need of interpersonal communication development and personal safety practices are not the kids who come from good/nurturing homes

spouse's school lost their 'hands on' science teacher. he and his grant went to another school that recruited him (and his high dollar grant)
they replaced him with a yoga instructor to teach a class on 'stress management'
in less than three weeks she sent my wife (a teacher) a text saying she could not stand the stress of teaching her class
never notified administration. never returned for her personal items

my son studied karate in elementary school (after school program). don't recall any incidents
many kids study martial arts outside of school. doubt it has an in-school impact
so, i cannot understand an objection to teaching it in public schools, assuming there is time and budget to offer it like PE
my personal recommendation would be judo, as it is a defensive rather than offensive, martial art

and think about it, we already have school sponsored student contact: football, lacrosse, soccer, fast pitch, baseball, basketball, wrestling. and parents - for the most part - support such sometimes violent activities

I would 100% be on board with Judo or even Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Both are similar to wrestling and one is an Olympic sport. The fact is these are great sports.

In other words the art of fighting without fighting?

Staff?? Retired Marines would probably do for free. As for filling the classes: Self-defense/conflict resolution should be requirements, not electives.

Staff?? Retired Marines would probably do for free. As for filling the classes: Self-defense/conflict resolution should be requirements, not electives.

There will be additional criteria that will have to be met for them to teach students.

Furthermore, making it a requirement would necessarily mean something else comes off the table, meaning choices will have to be made. You only have so many quarters or semesters at your disposal.

There will be additional criteria that will have to be met for them to teach students.

Furthermore, making it a requirement would necessarily mean something else comes off the table, meaning choices will have to be made. You only have so many quarters or semesters at your disposal.

I think doing what my school did and make it part of gym would be a good idea. It is more interesting, fun, and important than playing soccer or something. I never understood the point of gym in school but this gives it at least some practical purpose.

I have a LOT of friends withkids in school and the opportunities for adding classes like these are easy to come by. Move some of the elective courses to before/after school type programs and it's handled with ease.

I'm 50/50. If you teach them they'll figure out a way to use it to extract easy lunch money from some wimpy liberal, but it may come in handy none the less.

The Hate in you is so strong that you can't even make a post about a kid in school without insulting liberals... pathetic.

I think setting up something like you've described would be an excellent extra-curricular activity. I see it in THAT position rather than taking up needed classroom time as an elective for credit.

Back
Top Bottom