• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Self Contained Taser Rounds: Yes or No?

blackjack50

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I don't know how many people are up on LEO technology, but this is something that came up around 2008 on an episode of futureweapons and was being developed by TASER. The reason is because it officers a self contained taser slug that can hit a suspect from a greater range than an average taser, and allow a lethal follow up.

So looking at this as an alternative to "man with knife" gets shot by regular bullets: would you support this technology if price were reasonable? Currently it is not, at least if you are ignoring law suits for all the little things.

8392f085411fff4e7ac0ad4338271314.jpg

And while training cannot be substituted for technology, I do feel that we have enough technology to be able to find a good bridge between lethal and non Lethal for some situations.

I do not see this ending well.

I think the thing with something like this is that it has to be available when needed.
So unless it is very inexpensive (possibly), it is likely only specialized officers would carry them.

I think the thing with something like this is that it has to be available when needed.
So unless it is very inexpensive (possibly), it is likely only specialized officers would carry them.

Correct. Hence making them self contained shotgun shells. Most officers have a shotgun in the car, so if it can be fired from a standard pump, then the only issue becomes price. It isn't inexpensive now, but if so...deployment is as simple as giving it to any officers with shotguns.

I guess if the situation warranted it but what type of situtation is that exactly? Current methods seem fine to me...

The devil is in the details.

Most police tasers disable by maintaining current and preventing the subject from moving.

Does this one do the same or is it single-jolt only?

I guess if the situation warranted it but what type of situtation is that exactly? Current methods seem fine to me...

Well I am glad you asked.

Ever noticed how often people complain that officers "should have tased that guy?" Mainly because they don't understand why they did not. That being range and the fact that the taser is in their hands instead of a lethal. When you need a lethal, a taser won't cut it. BUT. The biggest factor is still range. Tasers are limited by the wire ranges. Not self contained rounds.

Most police tasers disable by maintaining current and preventing the subject from moving.

Current tech is a single Jolt. I just feel that our current Less lethal tech sucks. We need something more effective than tasers and spray, but just as easy to carry and use. Ideally? A sick stick without the vomit would be nice. Ya know? But that doesn't exist (well one kind of does...but it uses lights and stuff).

Well I am glad you asked.

Ever noticed how often people complain that officers "should have tased that guy?" Mainly because they don't understand why they did not. That being range and the fact that the taser is in their hands instead of a lethal. When you need a lethal, a taser won't cut it. BUT. The biggest factor is still range. Tasers are limited by the wire ranges. Not self contained rounds.

But this tactic works just fine... Cops just need to go back to the basics...

But this tactic works just fine... Cops just need to go back to the basics...

I wish we could get working net guns. Would be nice, but completely impractical. Ever seen the thing they use in Asia? It is basically a spear and shield...minus a pointy end. They use a cross bar to pin the guy down while other officers close in.

The same as a bullet? Or do you mean that the officer can give the guy anymore juice once he had been hit once?

Sort of, I see is officers shooting someone several times with these self-contained taser rounds from what looks to be modified shotguns. As we have effectively bridged another gap between what fires like a bullet presumably in rapid succession format capability and acts like a taser (or so it seems.)

there is a battery that supplies 20 seconds of high voltage.
there is a regulator that prevents it from killing the person.

Sort of, I see is officers shooting someone several times with these self-contained taser rounds from what looks to be modified shotguns. As we have effectively bridged another gap between what fires like a bullet presumably in rapid succession format capability and acts like a taser (or so it seems.)

They are just shotgun shells loaded with a specialized taser cartridge. The difference is that once hit with a normal taser, you can pull the trigger again to give the guy another dose of electricity. You can't do that with these. Thus it is either shoot them again, or...well...shoot them with lethal.

there is a battery that supplies 20 seconds of high voltage.
there is a regulator that prevents it from killing the person.

One wonders if the round can "stick" that well, that kinetic rebound doesn't take it out of contact with the subject.

One wonders if the round can "stick" that well, that kinetic rebound doesn't take it out of contact with the subject.

It uses a needle like the taser: it has barbs: I don't think it bounces out per se:

I wonder what tech could potentially replace tasers? Personally I would love to see paintball guns become a thing. They have been used effectively and they are hardly capable of lethality, but add in a stink/pepper component and it could work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not sure it is shot from a special shot gun so I would say the sticking power should be quite decent.
also once it is shot and ejected the round is activated so as soon as it hits it is a live round.

They are just shotgun shells loaded with a specialized taser cartridge. The difference is that once hit with a normal taser, you can pull the trigger again to give the guy another dose of electricity. You can't do that with these. Thus it is either shoot them again, or...well...shoot them with lethal.
Sounds like it would hit the person with the same force as a shotgun shell. On the surface that sounds more dangerous than benign.

Sounds like it would hit the person with the same force as a shotgun shell. On the surface that sounds more dangerous than benign.

No. Not if you know how shotgun shells work ;)

The amount of powder and load size determines how fast the round travels. That is why they can fire bean bags from shotgun shells and they don't hit with the same force as a slug.

The best comparison for non gun users would be your airbag: it has a regulator that determines speed so that you don't die (which there is a recall about btw), but in a shotgun shell there is no regulator because there isn't enough explosive material to allow it to reach lethal speeds.

Back
Top Bottom