• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Segregation on the basis of sex, and race; when is racial, and sex based discrimination acceptable?

ProgressiveCON

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I have always been curious, as to why organizations such as the WNBA and NBA could be legal and not in violation of the civil rights act of 1964, or in violation of the equal protection clause.

I understand when it comes to competitive sports there is universal segregation on the basis of sex; there are no male players in the WNBA and there are no female players in the NBA. The practical reason is that males are quite simply better in terms of athleticism, not always true (for example, although I am male, I'm pretty sure every single player in the WNBA would easily make me look like a fool on a basketball court.) but generally true.

So my first question would be, why it would be legal for a sports organization to exist that bans someone from participating on the basis of their sex? What is the legal argument that it does not violate the 1964 civil rights act? Why doesn't it violate the equal protections clause?

The second question; if segregation on the basis of sex isn't illegal and/or unconstitutional, would segregation on the basis of race be?

Could I use statistics to show that there should be racial segregation in sports, the same way that statistics is used to show why segregation on the basis of sex is appropriate?

The NBA has 74.4% of players that are black, 23.3% are white, 1.8% latino, and 0.2% asian.

Clearly, just based off statistics (and assuming that people get accepted as a NBA player on the basis of skill rather than race), black people dominate the NBA. If sports should be segregated on the basis of gender, because one gender generally dominants the other gender in performance, should be logically consistent and segregated on the basis of race, because one race dominants the other races?

Would racial segregation trigger issues with the 1964 civil rights act that segregation on the basis of sex does not?
Why or why not?

Last edited:
I have always been curious, as to why organizations such as the WNBA and NBA could be legal and not in violation of the civil rights act of 1964, or in violation of the equal protection clause.

I understand when it comes to competitive sports there is universal segregation on the basis of sex; there are no male players in the WNBA and there are no female players in the NBA. The practical reason is that males are quite simply better in terms of athleticism, not always true (for example, although I am male, I'm pretty sure every single player in the WNBA would easily make me look like a fool on a basketball court.) but generally true.

So my first question would be, why it would be legal for a sports organization to exist that bans someone from participating on the basis of their sex? What is the legal argument that it does not violate the 1964 civil rights act? Why doesn't it violate the equal protections clause?

The second question; if segregation on the basis of sex isn't illegal and/or unconstitutional, would segregation on the basis of race be?

Could I use statistics to show that there should be racial segregation in sports, the same way that statistics is used to show why segregation on the basis of sex is appropriate?

The NBA has 74.4% of players that are black, 23.3% are white, 1.8% latino, and 0.2% asian.

Clearly, just based off statistics (and assuming that people get accepted as a NBA player on the basis of skill rather than race), black people dominate the NBA. If sports should be segregated on the basis of gender, because one gender generally dominants the other gender in performance, should be logically consistent and segregated on the basis of race, because one race dominants the other races?

Would racial segregation trigger issues with the 1964 civil rights act that segregation on the basis of sex does not?
Why or why not?

boys have a penis, girls have a vagina.
black boys have a penis, black girls have a vagina.

Why or why not?
Good logic, but it runs from a false premise. When it comes to genetic males.vs genetic females, it would take many generations before we could see a shift that would put females, as a whole, into a post on in which they are superior to males, say in upper body strength. Mind you I am talking upon the overall, and comparing specifics, not everything when talking about superior to the other. Each biological sex is superior to the other in some categories and inferior in others, while being pretty much equal in still others.

With race we are now talking about something different. There is nothing genetically speaking that makes one race superior to another when it comes to skills. Men of all races have the overall same upper body strength. What skills that are developed more in one race over others is something that can be changed in a generation or less.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom