• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seems German coalition talks resulted in a government

Lower voting age to 16?

Looks like what they have in common are left-leaning goals.

Looks like what they have in common are left-leaning goals.
Nah, FDP is a right wing free market liberal party, that while having some things in common with SPD has less in common with the Greens, but it seems they have found a compromise to work on.

Germany: Post-Merkel coalition promises progressive agenda

Here are some parts of their government program.
political expediencies at a gallop.

All three are going to have a helluva time to keep from cracking up the coalition before the end of their term.

The ambitions that their joint program holds are to be commended, the loss of reality is not. Regarding that latter part, all three are probably aware of it, but it's also the parameter by which the public will judge.

Ambitions of this nature require to be financed and the FDP, as the smallest partner by votes gained, has already successfully sabotaged any financing that could be remotely deemed as realistic.

Lower voting age to 16?
Yes, as this was an easy one for all three parties.

Glaringly absent is foreign policy and military.

Greens and FDP have issues to be tougher on Russia and China than SPD could ever conceive of or accept (CDU likewise). Tougher on human rights violations and not be so quick to overlook issues such as Taiwan. FDP for instance had already tossed the so called "One China" policy and, same as the Greens, gets on Beijing's case for smashing liberty, freedom and voting in Hong Kong, in violation of the handover agreement with UK.

Merkel only this year sent a Navy frigate to Japan to join in Freedom of Navigation Ops through the Taiwan Strait, the East Sea between China and Japan, and the South China Sea of course. While FDP is attentive to these kind of issues Baerbock is a hawk on 'em and wants to strengthen Germany's presence in the western Pacific along with NATO partners there already, namely the US, Canada, France, UK, Australia, Netherlands and of course Japan whose self defense force is NATO compatible and interoperative with the US armed forces.

During the campaign Habeck went to Ukraine and the front lines to say Germany needs to sell "defensive weapons" to 'em which raised a storm back home, ie, while Germany sells arms to other countries -- its Leopard 2 main battle tank being in demand -- it does not sell weapons into an active war zone which Ukraine is considered to be. Habeck seems though and perhaps rightly so to see this as being a distinction without a difference, and given current developments this issue will likely rise again. Significantly though, it's a change of established German attitude that Habeck voices.

Nord Stream 2 is not presented in the typically five section topics of the agreement, ie, not in energy, not in climate, economics, foreign policy. Scholtz and his Russia Hugging SPD remain for the pipeline and its politics while the Greens want to blow it up and FDP wants a moratorium and a treaty before any approval can be made by German regulators and the EU Commission. It seems clear however the three parties are going to continue to lie low on the Russo-German Axis of Energy Blackmail while the regulators in Germany continue to bust the chops of the Kremlin and then will hand it over to the EU Commission where they're preparing the rack for the Russians.

Not to be misunderstood, I wish them all the success in the world but I cannot deny my blood relation to Cassandra.

Getting out of coal within the next 9 years while scuppering Russian gas (no matter how small the percentage of the latter is in the overall German energy mix) is gonna be a helluva task if based solely on ramping up renewables.

The past hiccups in establishing a workable grid from the North Sea windmills to all parts of Germany (but especially the South) are not only due to the sluggish shenanigans of the Merkel administration, but also to the wide-spread opposition of a large part of the public (NIMBYs).

The only way this can be achieved is by walking rough shod over that particular part of the public, while succeeding within the next 4 years to assuage resulting discontent with success.

While clearly having no credible plan in financing the whole venture (the FDP's brakeman role already mentioned).

The totally disheveled CDU/CSU are going to have a field day with this all along the way, since their only way to possibly win the next elections lies in profiting from the envisaged (and hoped for) failure.

This traffic light coalition flashing red, yellow, green all over the place isn't going to cut it.

Yes, as this was an easy one for all three parties.

Glaringly absent is foreign policy and military.

Greens and FDP have issues to be tougher on Russia and China than SPD could ever conceive of or accept (CDU likewise). Tougher on human rights violations and not be so quick to overlook issues such as Taiwan. FDP for instance had already tossed the so called "One China" policy and, same as the Greens, gets on Beijing's case for smashing liberty, freedom and voting in Hong Kong, in violation of the handover agreement with UK.

Merkel only this year sent a Navy frigate to Japan to join in Freedom of Navigation Ops through the Taiwan Strait, the East Sea between China and Japan, and the South China Sea of course. While FDP is attentive to these kind of issues Baerbock is a hawk on 'em and wants to strengthen Germany's presence in the western Pacific along with NATO partners there already, namely the US, Canada, France, UK, Australia, Netherlands and of course Japan whose self defense force is NATO compatible and interoperative with the US armed forces.

During the campaign Habeck went to Ukraine and the front lines to say Germany needs to sell "defensive weapons" to 'em which raised a storm back home, ie, while Germany sells arms to other countries -- its Leopard 2 main battle tank being in demand -- it does not sell weapons into an active war zone which Ukraine is considered to be. Habeck seems though and perhaps rightly so to see this as being a distinction without a difference, and given current developments this issue will likely rise again. Significantly though, it's a change of established German attitude that Habeck voices.

Nord Stream 2 is not presented in the typically five section topics of the agreement, ie, not in energy, not in climate, economics, foreign policy. Scholtz and his Russia Hugging SPD remain for the pipeline and its politics while the Greens want to blow it up and FDP wants a moratorium and a treaty before any approval can be made by German regulators and the EU Commission. It seems clear however the three parties are going to continue to lie low on the Russo-German Axis of Energy Blackmail while the regulators in Germany continue to bust the chops of the Kremlin and then will hand it over to the EU Commission where they're preparing the rack for the Russians.

Nord Stream 2 is a hot potato. The larger Russo German relations as well. I believe the Bundesgazregulator was more a man in search of a reason to punt the ball than a stickler for certification under German Law.

Now the Green Lady is no more on the safe sidelines. She may soon be blamed for all hardships- real or imagined- that can be remotely connected to gas. Any time Joe German notices a slight increase in any purchase, I wonder if he will inhale bitterly and curse the Green Witch.

The Bundesgazregulator did the incoming Bundeskanzler and his unstable coalition no favours. Best case scenario would be Herr Scholz and the Green Fraulein complaining that their hands are tied, that deed on Nord Stream 2 was a done deal, that to unravel it would do more harm than good. All while feigning sincerity.

Now that hot potato appears to have a long shelf life. To Herr Scholz' consternation. If and when Her Bundesgazregulator takes up certification it would be in the mix of deafening howls of protests from Ukraine, Poland and the three Baltic midgets at every step. With the US Congress getting in its digs from distance away.

And this is not even at the European Commission yet.

Over all it is not really to bad, or that bad. The FDP got some rather important things through, like the balanced budget, which is cemented in the German Constitution. The 2023 budget will be the first for the coalition and it will return to the balanced budget law.
Nothing wrong with some of the progressive and green ideas, but the pipe dreams will be limited by the balanced budget.
Exit from coal is rather wishiwashi, 2030 is a goal or advisable, not a demand, same with other parts of the contract.
Investment of infrastructure of all kind, rail, internet, charging stations, green energy and streamlining the process/regulations is rather good.
I think it will be interesting to watch, how they will combine foreign, military and EU, as they plan.
Replacement of the aging Tornado will be a nuclear capable plane and observation drones can be armed. I think that is interesting, concerning SPD/Gruene.
Change of minds. There is a clear commitment to the Bundeswehr in the contract.
What is quiet clear, the very left of SPD and Gruene got tokens, minimum wage and voting age. I am suprised how much this contract is in the center.
The speed and how they prevented leaks is astonishing.

Well now it has to go to the parties and their members, will be interesting how that goes, its not a done deal till they have voted.

Than Scholz got a real job at hand, keeping that coalition together.
That will be interesting to watch.

Nordstream2 is a minor headline on the back of the paper, nobody really talks about it.

The FDP is not a right wing party. Its a center right fiscal conservative and free market party. What was interesting, the gains in last election came from young voters.

Nordstream2 is a minor headline on the back of the paper, nobody really talks about it.

I hope they just didn't pretend it's not there.

Nord Stream 2 is a hot potato. The larger Russo German relations as well. I believe the Bundesgazregulator was more a man in search of a reason to punt the ball than a stickler for certification under German Law.

Now the Green Lady is no more on the safe sidelines. She may soon be blamed for all hardships- real or imagined- that can be remotely connected to gas. Any time Joe German notices a slight increase in any purchase, I wonder if he will inhale bitterly and curse the Green Witch.

The Bundesgazregulator did the incoming Bundeskanzler and his unstable coalition no favours. Best case scenario would be Herr Scholz and the Green Fraulein complaining that their hands are tied, that deed on Nord Stream 2 was a done deal, that to unravel it would do more harm than good. All while feigning sincerity.

Now that hot potato appears to have a long shelf life. To Herr Scholz' consternation. If and when Her Bundesgazregulator takes up certification it would be in the mix of deafening howls of protests from Ukraine, Poland and the three Baltic midgets at every step. With the US Congress getting in its digs from distance away.

And this is not even at the European Commission yet.
The German energy regulator went straight at the Kremlin's NS 2 AG -- they're punting nothing. The German Federal Network Agency (using simple English for the regulator) suspended certification processing of NS 2 AG for its refusal to transfer its incorporation to Germany from neutral Switzerland as required by German law. Moreover the FNA rejected the Gazprom alternative that NS 2 AG establish a subsidiary in Germany while its main resources and principal officers remain incorporated in Switzerland. The suspension is in force until NS 2 AG complies which according to NS 2 AG is never.

Your manhandling attempts against the "Green Lady" who I presume to be Greens chancellor candidate Annalena Baerbock falls flat as usual given Baerbock is just now gaining power, position, office, authority, as the new German Foreign Minister. Indeed, it is Baerbock who now needs to repair Germany's standing across the EU caused by the NS2 pipeline disaster promoted by Merkel, significant executive elements of Her CDU along with the long term Russia Hugging SPD. All Baerbock could do up to now is to make noises against Putin's Pipeline Pet Project of Blackmail against EU&NATO.

Indeed around 2019 the German Federal Network Agency regulator and the EU Commission overseer began laying the groundwork in each jurisdiction to ensnare Gazprom/NS2 in laws, rules, regs and requirements they knew neither the Kremlin Mafia nor the 5 European investors had or could anticipate back when they were signing up and off on the then EUR 9bn project that's now up to EUR 12bn due to delays and slowdowns caused almost exclusively by the two rounds of US sanctions.

The first round of US sanctions laws in Decemnber 2019 chased off the ships and shut down all construction work; the second round in January 2021 drove out the certification verification agencies and insurers, while the third and conclusive round coming the first week of January at the latest does bombs away against Gazprom itself, NS 2 AG itself and each of the 5 European giant corporate energy investors. So the third round is final and conclusive cause it nukes the Big Money Bois who are the project in its entirety and from the getgo. And until its last gasp.

Last edited:
Nah, FDP is a right wing free market liberal party, that while having some things in common with SPD has less in common with the Greens, but it seems they have found a compromise to work on.

Of the 9 policies listed in the article on the deal, do they sound more left leaning or not? Which ones are more right leaning than left?

The members of all 3 parties overwhelmingly voted for the coalition contract and now the contract has been signed.
Tomorrow, 12-8-21, the Bundestag will come together and vote for the new Kanzler. With that done, Merkel will hand over power and retire.

Good riddance to Putin's BFF in Europe, Angela Merkel the former East German communist cadre.

So Scholz will be sworn in today. Exit Merkel, Enter Scholz. A new era for German politics.

So Scholz will be sworn in today. Exit Merkel, Enter Scholz. A new era for German politics.
I was impressed by the calm and dignified transition to the new government and Chancellor. No fuss - just a grown-up approach to transition and a solid show of support for Merkel.

What do Europeans think of Scholz?

I was impressed by the calm and dignified transition to the new government and Chancellor. No fuss - just a grown-up approach to transition and a solid show of support for Merkel.

He has been around, a veteran politician and Finance Minister in Merkel's last government. Most Europeans see continuity and experience in Scholz.

Soft-spoken, generally of a reserved manner, he's neither the one known for punching it out with anyone nor for ever having been the life of any party.

But he also so far has caused things to get done by pulling strings behind the scene of public display, notably in his past role as First Mayor of Hamburg (equating to PM of a federal German State) and as Finance MInister to Merkel's cabinet.

With the mottled bunch of allies that now constitute the greater part of his power base, while his own party is also lodged in traditional and thus ever-lasting controversy over anything from the price of bread to foreign policy, forecasts of his future successes and/or failures are right now pure guesswork.

What Germany does now NOT need is a carbon copy of Merkel who, while having gained much acclaim on the international stage, did preciously little to address the stagnation that Germany has been in for the past years, all the way from addressing its dire position in digitalization to being asleep on desperately needed progress in pushing ahead in the field of alternative energy sources.

Not to mention furthering the education system, let alone dealing more professionally with the Covid pandemic than, caused by the recent election campaign of ALL parties, all political actors have been so criminally amiss at since before the last summer.

Whether other Europeans are aware of the pre-set conundrums that this coalition will face, I don't know. But German friends of mine share into my mixture of misgivings and optimism.

:D :D :D

263718859_2784883401803155_8608498538072320128_n.jpg

Verteidigungsminister = Minister of Defense

:D :D :D

263718859_2784883401803155_8608498538072320128_n.jpg

Verteidigungsminister = Minister of Defense
reminds me of a saying I heard back in my days in Germany, by which the Bundeswehr is a folklore band designed to entertain any invading enemy until real military arrives.

:LOL:

reminds me of a saying I heard back in my days in Germany, by which the Bundeswehr is a folklore band designed to entertain any invading enemy until real military arrives.

:LOL:

Jupp. I was serwing ´91. We had to build up 27m high antennas in the wilderness several times a day in maneuver. We needed mostly an hour and they told us the russians - ähm the blue army - would find us in half an hour ;)

Jupp. I was serwing ´91. We had to build up 27m high antennas in the wilderness several times a day in maneuver. We needed mostly an hour and they told us the russians - ähm the blue army - would find us in half an hour ;)
Well, any Defense Minister*esse :p is most likely not much worse than that cosmetics model you sent to Brussels.

And with the Navy' sailing yacht now finally repaired, Putin had better beware.:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom