• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seeing crime through a very narrow prism

What is your view of violent crime so partisan?

• Because most crime IS black

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because most crime IS white

• Because there is no talking to the other side

• We have been brainwashed by biased media (on both sides)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • We don't know better

• We DO try, we really do, but get drowned out by the extremists (on both sides)

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Because Canadians should mind their own business

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Other reasons (explain)

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
SIGHS, I expected partisan answers, was seriously hoping for something else, but not surprised. Everything is the fault of the Democrats of course
View attachment 67327224
Oh please. You make nothing but partisan posts and yet you expect non-partisan answers? Really? Try making some non partisan posts for a change. I don't think you are capable.

Oh please. You make nothing but partisan posts and yet you expect non-partisan answers? Really? Try making some non partisan posts for a change. I don't think you are capable.
is this post partisan? it asks why we only see crime through the prism of color. if you want to bring something else into it, that is up to you, but I don't need to respond further.

There is a great deal of confirmation bias in this. Any way it comes up, it allows for people to say "look, see, I was right", whether it is a mass shooter who is some white guy or Muslim, or some cop shooting a black person or someone shooting a cop, or a protest of any kind that ends badly, with violence and/or destruction, especially with a death. The reasons for why it happened, what led to these things are less important to those who are dedicated to their side than showing that the other side is somehow bad because "see what person X did here".

And while I think almost everyone may be guilty of it to at least a small extent, at some times, the majority does come from those on either side who are dedicated to maintaining why their side is correct, at the expense of any in depth delve into the situation at hand.
I think that was the point I was making, but then partisans popped on and made it about something else, no surprise there :(

makes perfect sense to me, it asks WHY we keep a scorecard detailing which race is committing a crime and why it is SO important to you to do so, I am NOT suggesting the race of a perpetrator NOT be mentioned, it is the salivating you all in the US do when it is someone of a particular color.

As written , "What is your view of violent crime so partisan? " makes no sense.
I am giving you a fact. It is not a sentence.

Because facts are facts and crimes are recorded by demographics. Some like to say this is a systemically racist country, that's about race, so we counter with the numbers that show blacks committ a proportionally larger percentage of the crime in America compared to population. It's just the numerical facts. Stop fabricating "systemic racism" and maybe the other side wouldn't have to point out the numerical facts of crime in America.

I don't really understand it.

I've noticed that one side gets very horny about violence against Asians only when the perpetrator is black. They just can't wait to talk about it, all giddy-like, as though they just got a birthday present.

And yes, the other side gets equally horny about violence against Asians only when the perpetrator is white, and they become very upset by the first group's horniness while indulging their own.

It's utterly baffling to me.

Maybe it's because I've lived in majority-black, majority-white and majority-asian communities and seen how equally racist they all are, that I just don't care who commits the crime because they all have more or less the same human blood coursing through their veins. I dunno. Maybe people of all stripes get turned on by people they dislike being caught doing bad things. That seems like a dumb way to live, but... well... people are dumb.

Not so hard to understand crime and violence in the USA. We are a violent culture; always have been. You Canadians, on the other hand, have long been subjects of the Crown, and therefore used to cowering to authority. I'll hand it to you, that attitude does make you feel safe. Americans, on the other hand, don't value safety as much as you might. We've never been successfully governed. We pretty much do what we want. That's why the 55 MPH law didn't work out. As Sammy Hagar so passionately expressed; "I can't drive 55 !!!"

As written , "What is your view of violent crime so partisan? " makes no sense.
I am giving you a fact. It is not a sentence.
whateva !
wonder_40x40.gif

@SNOWFLAKE you should just fix the title or admit the little mistake and move on. Doubling down on atrocious grammar is not a good look and draws attention away from the thread and toward what otherwise would have been a non-issue.

This kills me:

Everyone keeping a score card.

When BLM or Antifa riot, the conservatives rub their hands in glee and say "see, they are the violent ones" while ignoring the fact that most mass shootings in the last decade were performed by white shooters.

When Qanon types attack the Capital, or when a white cop is charged with killing a black man, the liberals rub their hands and exclaim "those violent whites."

When a black person kills someone, or when a white person kills someone, everyone keeps a scorecard? Put a check mark in this column but not in this column.

There are victims, and all the victims get are "thoughts and prayers"?
If it keeps you awake at night worrying about what BLM might do next or when the next mass shooting will occur by a white guy, what does THAT TELL YOU?

Hate crimes against Asians in the U.S. are well documented, but on the Right, they are saying the numbers are exaggerated and no big deal. Unless of course, a black man assaults an Asian woman, then it is finger pointing time again.

Yet, I could pose a question like "Aren't you ashamed at how you view violence through such a narrow prism?" and guaranteed, I would get answers like "BUT...Antifa, white supremacists, blacks, whites, them liberals, them conservatives, them commies, etc etc."

Yes we have violence in Canada and hate crimes, but not nearly the numbers you all have down in the U.S. on a per capita basis, plus we don't have storming of Capitals, and very very few mass shootings.

SO WHY ARE YOU ALL SO PARTISAN? Instead of realizing violent crime is violent crime no matter what color of the person who does it, and working TOGETHER to support each other and find solutions? (Such as jailing perpetrators whether they are white or black, whether civilian or cops)

(PS, I wonder if you can avoid whataboutisms?)

You are defining down complex issues, and using a whole lot of bland “both sides-isms”.

Even comparing BLM to white nationalist violence is one of the dumbest things I’ve read today, and I’ve been on Twitter.

This kills me:

Everyone keeping a score card.

When BLM or Antifa riot, the conservatives rub their hands in glee and say "see, they are the violent ones" while ignoring the fact that most mass shootings in the last decade were performed by white shooters.

When Qanon types attack the Capital, or when a white cop is charged with killing a black man, the liberals rub their hands and exclaim "those violent whites."

When a black person kills someone, or when a white person kills someone, everyone keeps a scorecard? Put a check mark in this column but not in this column.

There are victims, and all the victims get are "thoughts and prayers"?
If it keeps you awake at night worrying about what BLM might do next or when the next mass shooting will occur by a white guy, what does THAT TELL YOU?

Hate crimes against Asians in the U.S. are well documented, but on the Right, they are saying the numbers are exaggerated and no big deal. Unless of course, a black man assaults an Asian woman, then it is finger pointing time again.

Yet, I could pose a question like "Aren't you ashamed at how you view violence through such a narrow prism?" and guaranteed, I would get answers like "BUT...Antifa, white supremacists, blacks, whites, them liberals, them conservatives, them commies, etc etc."

Yes we have violence in Canada and hate crimes, but not nearly the numbers you all have down in the U.S. on a per capita basis, plus we don't have storming of Capitals, and very very few mass shootings.

SO WHY ARE YOU ALL SO PARTISAN? Instead of realizing violent crime is violent crime no matter what color of the person who does it, and working TOGETHER to support each other and find solutions? (Such as jailing perpetrators whether they are white or black, whether civilian or cops)

(PS, I wonder if you can avoid whataboutisms?)
Because sensationalism sells. It gets attention, and these days, that's all that matters. Getting views.

Most folks are reasonable people. Most, if they REALLY sat and thought about it...are centrists. But the problem with centrists is, we're not loyal. So politicians (and biased news) appeals to the factions, the sides. Because that's a loyal block, once you e convinced them you're on their side.

Because sensationalism sells. It gets attention, and these days, that's all that matters. Getting views.

Most folks are reasonable people. Most, if they REALLY sat and thought about it...are centrists. But the problem with centrists is, we're not loyal. So politicians (and biased news) appeals to the factions, the sides. Because that's a loyal block, once you e convinced them you're on their side.
so option 6 is your option?

so option 6 is your option?
Basically, but I think I voted other, lol.

Its not that the extremists are louder, its that media focuses on them for ratings.

I think we do try. Of course, there's always Fox Lying News but this poster feels that one of the problems is Americans are so damn stressed out. Americans don't make what they are worth, the health care costs is insane...causing many bankruptcies, your vacation times are the worst in the modern world (S). A lot of American politicians are sociopaths who truly just-don't-care. From the Media,,all blacks are criminals and most whites are selfish and racist and the list goes on and on. You know the old "Live to work, Work to live thing?"
Americans are the worlds poster beings for work, work work in order to have houses...but never homes. I love America but man oh man...you deserve a better life than what the Powers-that-be offer. My point being is: Americans take out their anger on each other, rather than the bastards that actually cause the strife and trouble.

I think we do try. Of course, there's always Fox Lying News but this poster feels that one of the problems is Americans are so damn stressed out. Americans don't make what they are worth, the health care costs is insane...causing many bankruptcies, your vacation times are the worst in the modern world (S). A lot of American politicians are sociopaths who truly just-don't-care. From the Media,,all blacks are criminals and most whites are selfish and racist and the list goes on and on. You know the old "Live to work, Work to live thing?"
Americans are the worlds poster beings for work, work work in order to have houses...but never homes. I love America but man oh man...you deserve a better life than what the Powers-that-be offer. My point being is: Americans take out their anger on each other, rather than the bastards that actually cause the strife and trouble.
Americans take out their anger on each other, rather than the bastards that actually cause the strife and trouble.
BINGO!

I read your first point and stopped there.

You are comparing apples and oranges...riots and mass shootings.

Your horse fell down right at your own starting gate.
IT is feeding my dog and many others right now

We would have a lot less violent crime if we kept criminals locked up. Democrats want to set everyone free. It is Republicans who want to keep criminals locked up and secure our borders from terrorists.
/// It is Republicans who want to keep criminals locked up. /// <-----How many people did Trump pardon?

You obviously never lived in japan. I did for four years. You want to see a people who work long hours, at modest wages, who rent rather than own, go visit Japan. But did you notice that even after horrible disasters, there is no looting and very little crime in general? It's all about culture, and the Japanese feel like they are all in it together.

In this country it's every man for him/her self. In Japan a person might go on assistance for a while, but they don't abuse the system. Here gaming the system for all you can get is the national pastime. Everybody does it, including businesses. People in this country never feel like we're all in this together, because we all belong to different tribes. Those tribes might be ethnic, but they also might be based on social class. The bastards that "actually cause the strife and trouble" are the politicians and the main stream media that promote and reinforce that concept. And you will find those on both the left and the right. Ain't no clean hands here. Ain't nobody on the high ground. Demonizing the other side is big business. Keeping us divided fills campaign coffers and makes the media millions. And most of our population is more than willing to go along.
As Pogo said; we have met the enemy and they are us.

You obviously never lived in japan. I did for four years. You want to see a people who work long hours, at modest wages, who rent rather than own, go visit Japan. But did you notice that even after horrible disasters, there is no looting and very little crime in general? It's all about culture, and the Japanese feel like they are all in it together.

I've had 2 friends that lived in Japan. I don't usually think of Japan when posting my rants. Fortunately, my friends were professors (Married) and life was probably a little easier than the average person. I haven't spoke to them in many years but do remember them saying that they didn't participate in the "Let's go out with our workforce and stay out half the night".
I certainly have no experience with that reality. Question: Do they still do that sort-of-thing? If they do, I damn sure wouldn't fit in.

Last edited:
it asks why we only see crime through the prism of color.

Aside from the poll question not making any sense, you commit the fallacy of composition. Because you see crime through the prism of color does not mean we all do.
Fact is we don't only see crime through the prism of color.

Peace

Because facts are facts and crimes are recorded by demographics. Some like to say this is a systemically racist country, that's about race, so we counter with the numbers that show blacks committ a proportionally larger percentage of the crime in America compared to population. It's just the numerical facts. Stop fabricating "systemic racism" and maybe the other side wouldn't have to point out the numerical facts of crime in America.
What? If you are saying that blacks commit crimes at a disproportionate rate than their population then what in the hell are you complaining about? Yes, facts do show that blacks commit a disproportionate number of crimes compared to their population. Glad you finally acknowledge that.

/// It is Republicans who want to keep criminals locked up. /// <-----How many people did Trump pardon?
Trump does not stand for every Republican. Republicans in general want to keep criminals locked up. Democrats want to let everyone go.

Trump does not stand for every Republican. Republicans in general want to keep criminals locked up. Democrats want to let everyone go.
/// Democrats want to let everyone go. /// <---- Presenting this claim as 'fact' or 'opinion'?

Don't read the news much, do you?
Refusal to address fair question posed duly noted. Maybe you can present a link to some/any news source that validates the positive claim YOU put forth? Will await said link, but not holding breath awaiting said link to be provided.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom