• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

See my bathroom project so far (pic)

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So you all remember when I started to work on this bathroom in February? Neither do I - that's a damn long time ago. Well I've been slowly chipping away at it solo. Now my classes have started and I have only the weekend-time to work on it, sadly.

The tile is finally done (always takes me a very long time)
The key element: the toilet: is installed and functional.

(This pic was taken from standing on the tub, by the way - and with my crappy cellphone since my camera's broken :( )
08-19-10_1716.jpg

So - this coming weekend I'll connect the drain for the tub so that'll be usable - and hopefully I can install the sinks (we modified an old dresser to house two sink-units . . . that needs to be coated before I can set it in place, might take another week for that)

None the less - it's much more done than it was just one month ago - or 6, depending on how you look at it!

I'd actually help you if I could, I absolutely love building and construction :2razz:

Otherwise be safe, don't hurt yourself :mrgreen:

I've never understood why people like to fancy up bathrooms. That's where you poop.

I've never understood why people like to fancy up bathrooms. That's where you poop.

Not necessarily. They're also a place to unwind in a tub or shower, and a place to get ready to face the day. Sometimes it's the only room in the house where one can truly be alone. Elimination* is only a small part of a bathroom.

I try to decorate my bathrooms like little dens. I don't want them to feel like crappers. I want them to feel like a comfortable room.

Great job so far AS! :thumbs:

* gross word.

Not necessarily. They're also a place to unwind in a tub or shower, and a place to get ready to face the day. Sometimes it's the only room in the house where one can truly be alone. Elimination* is only a small part of a bathroom.

I try to decorate my bathrooms like little dens. I don't want them to feel like crappers. I want them to feel like a comfortable room.

Great job so far AS! :thumbs:

* gross word.

I guess its a difference in usage though. I tend to go into that room when I need to as hygene and my loins demand. However, once I am done, its back to whatever I was doing.

LOL
Yeah - my husband and I spend a lot of time in the bathroom :D

I wasn't actually going for 'fancy' or 'professional' (what my Mom called it) - I was just doing what my husband wanted (I don't make any design and color decisions - that is always my husband. I do the work). I have the *worst* sense of color coordination and taste. He's particular, though, insists that bathrooms must be blue and kitchens yellow and so forth.

What's funny is that when I have to purchase items like the shower fixtures and tile I'll ask "what do you want?" . . . and he'll say "whatever you pick will be fine with me" and I have to drag him to the store.
Once there I look at cheapo economical solutions: $.75/sq-ft . . . stark . . . simple. He picked out that gray tile that I *never* would have chosen.
It looks great.

The pattern difference, though, wasn't for looks - I chose to change it up (diamond on the floor, boxed on the wall) so there wouldn't be a continual line to follow with your eye: across, around, through. The walls are very off-square and the floor slopes - you can't *see* it with your eye when you walk in. But if the floor had the same patter that the walls did it would be obnoxiously obvious because what's 4" over here would become 6" over there.

So keep that in mind when you see a 'fancy' bathroom - *why* is there all this other stuff being done? What are they trying to distract you from noticing? :)

Example: textured walls are often used to cover over crappy drywall-tape jobs. I did that! I can do a good job with the tape, now, but in my other house I did a horrid job and just textured over it.

Last edited:
I am sooooo lucky that my husband wants no part in design, because besides picking a fabulous mate ( :nails ), the boy's got no taste.

I am sooooo lucky that my husband wants no part in design, because besides picking a fabulous mate ( :nails ), the boy's got no taste.

Nothing at all? My wife says that sometimes I taste a little salty.

I should point out that the dark blue stripe is just painter's tape to keep grout off the wall :) It's not painted on there.

Bathrooms need to be blue to camouflage the blue cloud that forms in there daily. Spend a little extra when you pick out the fart-fan exhaust.

wow.... thats really nice i love the fact you put tile halfway up too :D
and
@megaprogman - so your telling me you feel comfy pooping at a festival in a portable potty rather than a nice known and soothing environment... let alone the extractor fan... ufff must have!!

wow.... thats really nice i love the fact you put tile halfway up too :D
and
@megaprogman - so your telling me you feel comfy pooping at a festival in a portable potty rather than a nice known and soothing environment... let alone the extractor fan... ufff must have!!

The assumption would be that it is a clean environment, portapoties often aren't. But if the bathroom had drywall, linoleum, or tile, I wouldn't care.

The assumption would be that it is a clean environment, portapoties often aren't. But if the bathroom had drywall, linoleum, or tile, I wouldn't care.

okay okay good point... so safely assuming... i take it your personal bathroom looks simple. almost no decorations... no trying to diss or start something lol just curious thats all so no offense if any

okay okay good point... so safely assuming... i take it your personal bathroom looks simple. almost no decorations... no trying to diss or start something lol just curious thats all so no offense if any

It has green walls, some towel rods, a set of plastic bins to keep stuff in (used to be wood, but the kids pee everywhere and rotted the old one), a shower, sink, cabinets, etc. No tiling or anything like that. I do have a print of a Matisse painting in there though.

images

Last edited:
It has green walls, some towel rods, a set of plastic bins to keep stuff in (used to be wood, but the kids pee everywhere and rotted the old one), a shower, sink, cabinets, etc. No tiling or anything like that. I do have a print of a Matisse painting in there though.

images
eww kids peeing everywhere.... party foul lol how did you manage with that? and okay well good to hear your bathroom has color and a painting. :]

me i tend to go for the artistic/ikea look lol i guess im just into things looking totally out there i got that from my mom helping her redecorate the house rooms and bathrooms soo much its habit for me to do every.....2 years cause i dont have money like she does. lol

eww kids peeing everywhere.... party foul lol how did you manage with that? and okay well good to hear your bathroom has color and a painting. :]

I have boys and their method of control is to thrust their hips out. It doesn't work. However, the one boy who has the worst problem with it has more dire issues. The green walls were there when we bought it. The picture was one I bought as a teenager, my wife put it there.

me i tend to go for the artistic/ikea look lol i guess im just into things looking totally out there i got that from my mom helping her redecorate the house rooms and bathrooms soo much its habit for me to do every.....2 years cause i dont have money like she does. lol

My other rooms look nicer of course, but I tend to spend time in those. The bathroom is just a place for utility.

Nice tile job. In our residential I have the master suite bath to do in the basement...and we will have completely renovated the house. I should have surprised the wife and done it while she was in Costa for a month...because her design ideas are a lot more fancy than what I want to do!!! I had someone else do the ground floor main bath (because of time constraints) and then decided I could do the others better than what I paid for. It took longer but I am much happier with them!

Someone asked why make them fancy? Well...two reasons I suppose...some folks like it that way and kitchens and bathrooms sell the house.

I can understand sprucing up a bathroom because you spend a lot of your life in there... getting ready, showering, bathing, and using the toilet. The only thing is, it shouldn't take you 20 minutes to take a dump so I see no reason to renovate a bathroom just for the toilet experience!

I can understand sprucing up a bathroom because you spend a lot of your life in there... getting ready, showering, bathing, and using the toilet. The only thing is, it shouldn't take you 20 minutes to take a dump so I see no reason to renovate a bathroom just for the toilet experience!

So the water resistant plasma big screen is out?

Great job, Aunt Spiker. I wish I was minimally half as handy as yourself.

Back
Top Bottom