• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Second (Small) Gulf Oil Spill Confirmed

Aunt Spiker

Cheese
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Second (Small) Gulf Oil Spill Confirmed - TIME NewsFeed

As if the oil spill in the gulf weren’t already sticky and complicated enough, news started emerging late Tuesday of a second oil well in the region leaking crude, producing an oil slick that was visible from the air.

The news was spotty and a little vague, but the Department of Interior did confirm Tuesday that “small amounts of oil – on average of less than one-third of a barrel per day – have been leaking” from wells operated by a company called Taylor Energy.

CNBC reported that this new leak originated from a production platform that was destroyed by an underwater mudslide in 2004, when Hurricane Ivan slammed the area. The site has been leaking ever since, as Taylor has sought to contain and close the well.

I know everyone's heard of this - but I can't find any threads on it.

Thoughts?

Hearing of this "small leak" that's been going on since 2004 - I have no hope or belief that they will be able to ever contain the bigger leak that's ongoing. . .we'll just kill the world off one algae at a time.

Thoughts?

Hearing of this "small leak" that's been going on since 2004 - I have no hope or belief that they will be able to ever contain the bigger leak that's ongoing. . .we'll just kill the world off one algae at a time.

Have no fear, the ocean naturally leaks oil in the amounts of about 1 Exxon Valdez a year, if I remember correctly.
Considering the size of the leak, it is merely a blip on the gigantic radar that is the ocean.

I know some quantities are natural - but that's not the issue I'm having. We should make an effort to be responsible. If they tackled this 2004-leak then perhaps they would know a bit more about how to best fix this much larger leak that's ongoing.

Nature will also rust the Golden Gate Bridge if they don't keep it painted - does that mean that it would be ok for a few small rust spots to go untouched? No, it wouldn't be ok . . . one small problem left alone will only get worse.

I know some quantities are natural - but that's not the issue I'm having. We should make an effort to be responsible. If they tackled this 2004-leak then perhaps they would know a bit more about how to best fix this much larger leak that's ongoing.

Nature will also rust the Golden Gate Bridge if they don't keep it painted - does that mean that it would be ok for a few small rust spots to go untouched? No, it wouldn't be ok . . . one small problem left alone will only get worse.

I understand but putting it in the big picture, it's relatively small.
It shouldn't be a huge priority although it has been 6 years since the leak started.

They should get around to plugging it.

Thoughts?

Unfortunately it takes massive problems like the BP oil spill for people to become proactive in regards to environmental policy. It's a shame really. We live in an era where ignorance truly is bliss, and denialism is the usual favorite to activism and awareness.

Their hush-hush about this other leak points to a bigger issue, as well. They have no intention of notifying the public of anything that happens.

If this current situation started without a massive explosion and the death of 11 people would they have been quick to notify the public of what's going on or would they have sat on it? How many other known-leaks are out there that they've kept silent about and failed to act on?

Back
Top Bottom