• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SECDEF's statement on the DOMA decision

Sarcogito

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
“The Department of Defense welcomes the Supreme Court’s decision today on the Defense of Marriage Act,” it read. “The Department will immediately begin the process of implementing the Supreme Court’s decision in consultation with the Department of Justice and other executive branch agencies. The Department of Defense intends to make the same benefits available to all military spouses — regardless of sexual orientation — as soon as possible. That is now the law, and it is the right thing to do.

Every person who serves our nation in uniform stepped forward with courage and commitment. All that matters is their patriotism, their willingness to serve their country and their qualifications to do so. Today’s ruling helps ensure that all men and women who serve this country can be treated fairly and equally, with the full dignity and respect they so richly deserve.” - SECDEF Hagel

Supreme Court strikes down DOMA; Hagel promises benefits ASAP - News - Stripes

“The Department of Defense welcomes the Supreme Court’s decision today on the Defense of Marriage Act,” it read. “The Department will immediately begin the process of implementing the Supreme Court’s decision in consultation with the Department of Justice and other executive branch agencies. The Department of Defense intends to make the same benefits available to all military spouses — regardless of sexual orientation — as soon as possible. That is now the law, and it is the right thing to do.

Every person who serves our nation in uniform stepped forward with courage and commitment. All that matters is their patriotism, their willingness to serve their country and their qualifications to do so. Today’s ruling helps ensure that all men and women who serve this country can be treated fairly and equally, with the full dignity and respect they so richly deserve.” - SECDEF Hagel

Supreme Court strikes down DOMA; Hagel promises benefits ASAP - News - Stripes

The department will immediately take several actions in the wake of the decision, including making identification cards available to same-sex spouses of members of the military (which the department estimated will take six to 12 weeks) and offering them housing, medical and dental benefits as well as interment at Arlington National Cemetery. The department is reviewing its policies regarding overseas tours, according to a spokesman.....snip~

Military announces same-sex spousal benefits after Supreme Court decision

What's this about Interment in Arlington? Should spouses be buried in Arlington?

According to Arlington's site spouses can be buried with you. Arlington National Cemetery | FAQs | Burial Services and Eligibility

I suppose if they bury the spouse on the same plot as to not take much more, if any, room it is ok. The place is getting pretty full though. If they bury you one on top of the other I can't see a problem though.

Heya SG. :2wave: Thanks for that info. As I was wondering about it.....as I know there isn't much room. Although if I am reading this Right. There is a chance that they will not be buried together.

10.....If my spouse or dependent child should predecease me, can they be buried before I am buried?
Yes. However, as the qualifying veteran, you will be required to sign a statement that certifies that you will be interred/inurned in the same gravesite/niche upon your demise/death.....snip~

21.....If a service member has a memorial marker in ANC, is the spouse eligible for placement at ANC and where is he or she placed?
Yes. The spouse is placed in an area of the cemetery determined by the superintendent. The memorial marker is moved to the plot and the name of the other spouse is added to the headstone.....snip~

It looks like there are plans to expand it. Arlington National Cemetery plans controversial expansion to avoid running out of room | Fox News

But eventually they WILL run out of room. I think eventually some difficult decision will have to be made. I personally would be ok with only burying service members who died in the line of duty there, and of course those who earned the Medal of Honor. Maybe even include the Distinguished Service Cross.

But as it stands anyone who dies on active duty, even if not in the line of duty can be buried there. And if you actually reached retirement you can be buried there. I think eventually those will have to be nixed. I think they should also stop burying any ol' elected official there. Presidents are ok, I suppose.

It looks like there are plans to expand it. Arlington National Cemetery plans controversial expansion to avoid running out of room | Fox News

But eventually they WILL run out of room. I think eventually some difficult decision will have to be made. I personally would be ok with only burying service members who died in the line of duty there, and of course those who earned the Medal of Honor. Maybe even include the Distinguished Service Cross.

But as it stands anyone who dies on active duty, even if not in the line of duty can be buried there. And if you actually reached retirement you can be buried there. I think eventually those will have to be nixed. I think they should also stop burying any ol' elected official there. Presidents are ok, I suppose.

Yeah I think you are Right. There's not much more Room.

Well with Presidents.....I can go for it if they actually did serve in the military. As far as the Others are concerned. I say bury them at their Presidential libraries. No need to give them extra space. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom