• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle University dean placed on administrative leave amid student protests

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Too many ‘dead white dudes’? Seattle U students protest program’s curriculum | The Seattle Times

Zeena Rivera, a second-year student, said she’s read the works of Plato for four different courses already. “When am I going to start reading writers from China, from Africa, from South America?” asked Rivera, who is Filipino. “The only thing they’re teaching us is dead white dudes.”

Seattle University dean placed on administrative leave amid student protests | The Seattle Times

Students last month began occupying a part of Kelly’s office, calling for her resignation and changes to the college’s curriculum, which they say focuses too narrowly on Western ideas and history.

Cave story: Seattle U places dean on leave over psychologically abusive focus on dead white dudes – twitchy.com

For seven days and counting, dozens of Seattle University students have been holding a sit-in in the lobby of a university administrative building, demanding an overhaul of one of the university’s elite programs and the resignation of a college dean.
At issue, they say, is a classical curriculum that focuses on Western ideas and history, in part through the teachings of philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle.

Walking around with a target on her back was Dean Jodi Kelly, who reportedly used the n-word in suggesting that a student read comedian and civil rights activist Dick Gregory’s autobiography, the title of which is simply … the n-word. Kelly has now been sent packing.

Uh, that was the name of the black man's book, dumbasses.

So, the administration has placed Kelly on leave in order to placate students who have announced to anyone who will listen that their time at Seattle University has been “profoundly damaging and erasing, with lasting effects on our mental and emotional well-being,” on account of their being “ridiculed, traumatized, othered, tokenized and pathologized.”

How will you ever heal? Here's a participation ribbon to make you feel better.

I seemed to have missed the thriving societies of Africa, the Middle East, and South America, and their rich histories of accomplishment, inclusion, and technological advancement. The vast majority of notable historical occurrence and achievement has been centered around "dead white dudes." Sorry, but that's just the truth.

Re: Too many ‘dead white dudes’? Seattle U students protest program’s curriculum

The inmates are running the asylum. So glad I told my kids to go to trade schools.

Re: Too many ‘dead white dudes’? Seattle U students protest program’s curriculum

Too many ‘dead white dudes’? Seattle U students protest program’s curriculum | The Seattle Times

Seattle University dean placed on administrative leave amid student protests | The Seattle Times

Cave story: Seattle U places dean on leave over psychologically abusive focus on dead white dudes – twitchy.com

I seemed to have missed the thriving societies of Africa, the Middle East, and South America, and their rich histories of accomplishment, inclusion, and technological advancement. The vast majority of notable historical occurrence and achievement has been centered around "dead white dudes." Sorry, but that's just the truth.

It's like those pyramids built themselves, right? Nothing notable there. :lol:

Good point, we should bring back slave labor.

Yep, and that was covered at my university. Yours?

No wonder young people are so enthralled with Sanders. They need mommies and daddies to protect them from the big, bad world. Imagine their psychological melt down when a boss suggests they need to improve their work, or they made a mistake? It's too horrific to ponder......:doh

There is a ton of profound and relevant literature from non-Western sources. No reason why a curriculum should completely center around Western philosophies. I think the students have a good point in demanding a more diverse curriculum. I don't think they have a legitimate reason to be calling for resignations.

Are you really so oblivious as to believe it is impossible that the reason you "missed those thriving societies" is because you were raised in a society that did not teach those cultures to you?

There is a ton of profound and relevant literature from non-Western sources. No reason why a curriculum should completely center around Western philosophies. I think the students have a good point in demanding a more diverse curriculum. I don't think they have a legitimate reason to be calling for resignations.

its idiotic. its nothing more than nihilistic contrarian idiocy by people who need to be hit in the face with the cold wet pontoon of reality.

its idiotic. its nothing more than nihilistic contrarian idiocy by people who need to be hit in the face with the cold wet pontoon of reality.

If you're being required to read Plato for four different courses and you're not majoring in ancient Greek philosophy, yeah... you have a point in demanding a more diverse curriculum.

Yep, and that was covered at my university. Yours?

Yes, but the topic is a University that it's not included at.

Universities need to stop legitimizing these dumbasses.

Are you really so oblivious as to believe it is impossible that the reason you "missed those thriving societies" is because you were raised in a society that did not teach those cultures to you?

Show me which one I should be paying attention to. Sudan? Afghanistan? Ivory Coast? Ecuador? Nicaragua? Venezuela? Uzbekistan? Somalia?

Show me this bastion of humanitarian and technological prowess.

How dare students demand more courses about other cultures! :roll:

If you're being required to read Plato for four different courses and you're not majoring in ancient Greek philosophy, yeah... you have a point in demanding a more diverse curriculum.

yeah you ought to major in biology and if you then get Plato in four different biology courses-yeah you'd have a point

the problem is-most of those whiners cannot proffer who they ought to study-rather its a reaction against anyone white or western.

Universities need to stop legitimizing these dumbasses.

well 50 or so years ago, students demanded that universities show "tolerance" and start hiring nihilists, communists and other scum. they did and once those turds got power, they started preventing anyone who didn't want to give Che a hummer from getting tenure. That is why our universities are often monolithic bastions of nanny state PC idiocy

Yes, but the topic is a University that it's not included at.

The college within that university centers on philosophy. What great philosopher roamed Africa or South America during the days of Plato or Aristotle?

That's what has these stupid kids in a tizzy. They're hopelessly mind-controlled and brainwashed.

Yes, that was exactly my point. :roll:

MatteoRicciCollege said:
The Humanities curriculum is scaffolded so that students start with the fundamentals of reading, writing, speaking, and thinking, then grow upward and outward towards more specialized classes. Students complete the humanities core as well as an area of concentration, which can be any subject area including but not limited to science, engineering, business, nursing, education. More than 80% of the BAH majors build their chosen area of concentration into a second degree.

Sounds like the protesters felt that they should be taught their specialization during the gen-ed portion of their dual degree program. Typical college age special snowflake upset that something isn't customized just for them.

And there is no reason they just can't read them on their own, maybe start a discussion group.

If those people want to learn more about other countries cultures then go there and learn. A university only has so much space and so much that they are able to teach. And why wouldn't they teach curricula that centers on western culture? They do live in it and the people that go to those schools are going to be living in it. More than likely most of those kids won't ever step one foot outside of this country so what's the real use in teaching about a culture that they'll never once experience much less see?

The college within that university centers on philosophy. What great philosopher roamed Africa or South America during the days of Plato or Aristotle?

That's what has these stupid kids in a tizzy. They're hopelessly mind-controlled and brainwashed.

Augustine of Hippo for one.

Universities have a libraries, they can read anything they want.

Hmm... is this not like going to a Chinese restaurant and then complaining about finding no hamburgers on the menu? If you wish to have less western influence than try attending a school in Asia, Africa or South America. ;)

Augustine of Hippo for one.

To be fair, I have a hard believing that a curriculum which included Plato would leave either of those things out. Though... I suppose you might have to take a class on theology to get the full run-down on Aquinas.

In any case, I don't see why students living in the Western World should be surprised that their lessons tend to focus more on ideas and events directly relevant to Western history and culture. They're simply not going to get much out of reading Islamic religious philosophy from the Middle Ages, and even Confucius and most of Chinese/East Asian history is more or less irrelevant to the Western experience right up until the 19th Century or so. If you want an in-depth analysis focusing on that kind of thing, you should expect to have to take a specialized class on it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom