• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle University dean placed on administrative leave amid student protests

Re: Too many ‘dead white dudes’? Seattle U students protest program’s curriculum

Because one of the main points of higher education is to be exposed to a wide variety of viewpoints on any given topic.

Nonsense. I was never taught about geocentrism or flat earth theory (for example) in my physics education.

Re: Too many ‘dead white dudes’? Seattle U students protest program’s curriculum

People don't want to accept the plain truth, which is that civilization is, aside from Asia and a few (relatively to their neighbors) exceptional parts of Africa and the Americas, primarily white in origin.

Nonsense. The vast majority of the Americas, Africa, and the Pacific Islands were filled with ignorant savages before the Europeans came around. The only cultures that even remotely compare to Europe are the great civilizations of Asia, and even they are far our inferiors.
Stormfront much?

Stormfront much?

I don't care if it offends your ever sensitive world view. The fact is that by comparison to white people, the third worlders have contributed practically nothing.

We did them a great service by teaching them to be civilized. They still contribute nothing, but now at least there is some semblance of order in their societies.

Nonsense. I was never taught about geocentrism or flat earth theory (for example) in my physics education.

Well, like I said, focus on ideas not thought up by ignorant savages.

I don't care if it offends your ever sensitive world view. The fact is that by comparison to white people, the third worlders have contributed practically nothing.

We did them a great service by teaching them to be civilized. They still contribute nothing, but now at least there is some semblance of order in their societies.

What you say isn't offensive to me, just ignorant. I get that you're coming from the white man has always been "superior" mindset. However your warped version of world history is pretty much way off.

My first thought is how are those topics being incorporated into the curriculum. Perhaps such non-Western views aren't being spread around throughout the varying curriculums. Then I'd question the protesters to find out more information about why they feel non-Western viewpoints aren't being included within the curriculum.

My first question would be to these students - why are they choosing to attend and pay for this particular university in the first place? Is the course catalog kept secret from them?

Of the literally thousands of universities, why did they choose this one?

And if you don't want a "western centric" education, why not attend a foreign university in a non-western culture?

Well, like I said, focus on ideas not thought up by ignorant savages.

It's not as if the Ethiopians or the Incans (which were among the most advanced societies in Africa and the Americas) had any interesting ideas.

What you say isn't offensive to me, just ignorant. I get that you're coming from the white man has always been "superior" mindset. However your warped version of world history is pretty much way off.

The white man has been superior for around two and a half millennia. You would know that if you were educated.

It's not as if the Ethiopians or the Incans (which were among the most advanced societies in Africa and the Americas) had any interesting ideas.

The white man has been superior for around two and a half millennia. You would know that if you were educated.

Tom Metzger is that you?

That's fine if you think that way, so long as you've actually been exposed to Ethiopian viewpoints.

Anyone who would make such a judgment without even being exposed to such viewpoints, would be nothing better than an ignorant savage.

My first question would be to these students - why are they choosing to attend and pay for this particular university in the first place? Is the course catalog kept secret from them?

Of the literally thousands of universities, why did they choose this one?

Course catalogs don't spell out the entire curriculum.

And if you don't want a "western centric" education, why not attend a foreign university in a non-western culture?

Because they don't want a non-Western centric education, either. They want an education that represents the entirety of the human experience.

I would need to know more about the courses offered there before agreeing or disagreeing with the students. I went to a pretty conservative university, Texas A&M, and in selecting my classes I managed to learn about all manner of cultures. Of course, it means being able to figure out how to read a course catalogue and syllabus.

But the students complaining that they have been traumatized by this makes it difficult for me to take them seriously.

Shocked...not shocked.

"Kelly challenged that description. She said courses on the ancient and medieval worlds focus on classical texts, including works by Plato and Aristotle but also Confucius and Lao Tsu. The core of the curriculum, she said, includes studies on poverty, and students read African-American and Latino scholars, historians, playwrights and poets."

Good lord! She had to read Plato four times?

WILL THIS WESTERNIST TYRANNY NEVER END!

TO THE SAFE SPACE!

Course catalogs don't spell out the entire curriculum.

You'll have to explain your thinking there. Maybe university course catalogs have changed in the decades since I last choose and paid to attend a university.

Because they don't want a non-Western centric education, either. They want an education that represents the entirety of the human experience.

Then choose a university that they think offers that. If they find it doesn't - change university.

The college within that university centers on philosophy. What great philosopher roamed Africa or South America during the days of Plato or Aristotle?

Are these the only choices available in your microscopic world?

The inmates are running the asylum. So glad I told my kids to go to trade schools.

College is a huge scam anyways. (although the top tier who graduate deffinately see benifits)

A true entruepenuer boss should more respect a student who buys the books on their own and learns on their own, instead of volunteering for mountains of debt.

We should reward HOBBYIST learners more than people who volenteerily enslave themselves.

But i think society is still at a point where they wouldnt respect the person who bought all the books themselves and effectively taught themself. They would dismiss the self-taughter as, "oh hes not a real collegiate." even though someone that taught themself as a true hobby would probably understand everything more over the person who sat there and got talked at.

The Arabs didn't invent astronomy. Their astronomy is descended from the Greeks, just as their math is.

And in any case, that one of the non-European societies that is among the closest to Europe produced a few contributions to scientific progress doesn't challenge the point. Europe is better.

Astronomy is much much much older than the greeks..... Id guess at LEAST 30,000 years old.

You'll have to explain your thinking there. Maybe university course catalogs have changed in the decades since I last choose and paid to attend a university.

From my experience, course catalogs only ever gave a quick description of a course, maybe a sentence or two. Details about specific works to be studied were not mentioned because such things depended at least to some extent on professor discretion.

Then choose a university that they think offers that. If they find it doesn't - change university.

I don't know the individual situations on each of the students in question well enough to comment on this statement.

Too many ‘dead white dudes’? Seattle U students protest program’s curriculum | The Seattle Times

Seattle University dean placed on administrative leave amid student protests | The Seattle Times

Cave story: Seattle U places dean on leave over psychologically abusive focus on dead white dudes – twitchy.com

Uh, that was the name of the black man's book, dumbasses.

How will you ever heal? Here's a participation ribbon to make you feel better.

I seemed to have missed the thriving societies of Africa, the Middle East, and South America, and their rich histories of accomplishment, inclusion, and technological advancement. The vast majority of notable historical occurrence and achievement has been centered around "dead white dudes." Sorry, but that's just the truth.

If the kids want to study something else, let theme go, where the curriculum is to their taste.

From my experience, course catalogs only ever gave a quick description of a course, maybe a sentence or two. Details about specific works to be studied were not mentioned because such things depended at least to some extent on professor discretion.

I don't know the individual situations on each of the students in question well enough to comment on this statement.

Again, they chose to go to this particular university. Out of a field that numbers in the thousands just here in the US. If they had no clue of the curriculum before they chose, then they really have no place attending any university to begin with.

Again, they chose to go to this particular university. Out of a field that numbers in the thousands just here in the US. If they had no clue of the curriculum before they chose, then they really have no place attending any university to begin with.

I don't know. I typically encourage people to demand change in the face of what they believe in wrong, rather than just run away from it.

Perhaps the greatest irony is found I. The words of the protesters as to the reason why they chose to attend this particular university. It was to better prepare themselves for a future. Well...guess what happens when you throw a hissy fit to your boss, do the same job you have done the last 4 weeks, and demand your supervisor gets fired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

College is a huge scam anyways. (although the top tier who graduate deffinately see benifits)

A true entruepenuer boss should more respect a student who buys the books on their own and learns on their own, instead of volunteering for mountains of debt.

We should reward HOBBYIST learners more than people who volenteerily enslave themselves.

But i think society is still at a point where they wouldnt respect the person who bought all the books themselves and effectively taught themself. They would dismiss the self-taughter as, "oh hes not a real collegiate." even though someone that taught themself as a true hobby would probably understand everything more over the person who sat there and got talked at.

There are certain schools where college is anything but a scam. But with many schools, you are right.

In Texas, if you graduate from Texas A&M with a masters in business or engineering, you'll hit $70K right out of college and be well on your way. That goes for EVERY graduate of those programs, not just a handful. Same for Rice and most of UT. Whereas, most graduates from other schools struggle out of school because they didn't learn anything meaningful or useful. They just survived a political brainwashing and checked enough boxes to get a diploma.

So many schools have poorly constructed curriculums that don't teach anything applicable to real work. It's an exercise in circle-hugging and political theory that results in absolutely no useable or demonstrative skills. Combine that with a lack of competitiveness and work ethic, and it's back to mom's basement for the foreseeable future.

That's fine if you think that way, so long as you've actually been exposed to Ethiopian viewpoints.

Anyone who would make such a judgment without even being exposed to such viewpoints, would be nothing better than an ignorant savage.

What, precisely, are these "Ethiopian viewpoints"?

They've produced no philosophers of importance, and there religion is no different from that of the Copts.

Nonsense. The vast majority of the Americas, Africa, and the Pacific Islands were filled with ignorant savages before the Europeans came around. The only cultures that even remotely compare to Europe are the great civilizations of Asia, and even they are far our inferiors.

Exactly. Who were the great minds of the Apaches, Seminoles, and Eskimos? Show me the advanced scholars and societies of Indonesia in the 1300s. The Mayans put together a fascinating calendar, but what else? The Middle East was what it still is, just a warring faction of tribes.

Most of the world was thousands of years behind Greek, Roman, and then European culture and civilization. There's just not a helluva lot to study outside of that.

And the sad part is, these "students" have such a poor background of basic knowledge, they don't even realize this. To them, Plato might as well be a 60s quarterback for the Green Bay Packers.

Back
Top Bottom