• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle school cancels "pumpkin parade" for "marginalizing people of color"

Stressful fo range people? I doubt Trump was going to attend anyway.

That story is from a conservative "news" outlet, so its honesty and objectivity are guaranteed.

:rolleyes:

I'm a little lost with the Board's explanation:

Yeah, it's pretty vague. Sort of the universal adapter of excuses.

I obviously don't know, but the only people I've ever heard actually object to Halloween are Christians.

Many of them aren't comfortable with talk of witches and demons and such.

Maybe some day our experiences won't be so different. These are primarily African AMERICANS we're talking about and the whole thing gives me a sad. We shouldn't have to be 'sharing culture' with people who have been here just as long as whites have!!!!

We 'all' should be 'sharing culture'! Why not? It enriches us! Everyone!

We 'all' should be 'sharing culture'! Why not? It enriches us! Everyone!
Chomsky, my point was, they shouldn't BE two separate cultures at this point.

Just an observation.

I am somewhat baffled by this.

I mean, way back when I was a nerdy shy kid in school who didn't go to the sports games because I felt uncomfortable after being bullied by some of those kids... should the school system have canceled all sports to accommodate my feelings? Even then, stewing on my own, I would have found that idea preposterous.

It wasn't long ago that it was the evangelical right attacking the celebration of Halloween.

And they've never apologized for it. They've moved onto other targets.

This is insanity.

School principal Stanley Jaskot confirmed that the parade was cancelled.
"Halloween is a very complex issue for schools. Yes, I agree this event marginalized our students of color. Several of our students historically opted for an alternate activity in the library while the pumpkin parade took place. This was an isolating situation and not consistent with our values of being an inclusive and safe place for all our students – especially students of color and those with a sensitivity to all the noise and excitement of the parade."

ttps://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-school-cancels-halloween-parade-marginalizes-students-color
Can't help but wonder if the fundie parents were the ones raising hell and the principal decided to throw the minority students' parents under the bus.

And they've never apologized for it. They've moved onto other targets.
Some areas, they still are attacking Halloween. That's ok....let's go back to Samhain.

Because these batshit ideas spread amongst the greater woke spectrum that's why. Just wait.
Did you say the same when the "woke" parents were the fundies?

ANNNNTTTTEEEEEFFFFFAAAAAAAAAAA! :LOL: :LOL:
Yeah, if you think whatever you said above is going to brawl and encourage 'autumnal work' and 'sharing all the cozy feelings of the season' instead.

Chomsky, my point was, they shouldn't BE two separate cultures at this point.

Just an observation.

I don't know about that, and straight-up that sounds bland. Stepford, bland!

We're post War immigrant families on both sides (different countries), and so was much of my neighborhood. Hell, so was much of my city! The blend of cultures was awesome. And most of us came to appreciate the other cultures, including dress, customs, and of course - booze, food, and . . . dating! If you ever want to get to know a different culture, date them!

Perhaps you're thinking in strictly racial terms - black & white? If so, there's a hell of a lot more cultures than that. And, I was lucky enough to experience quite a few of them.

I see absolutely no reason why we can't celebrate our individual cultures, while still being 'good' Americans! I'm never going to stop celebrating my ethnic heritage, nor my wife's.

We're post War immigrant families on both sides, and so was much of my neighborhood. Hell, so was much of my city! The blend of cultures was awesome. And most of us came to appreciate the other cultures, including dress, customs, and of course - booze, food, and . . . dating! If you ever want to get to know a different culture, date them!

Perhaps you're thinking in strictly racial terms - black & white? If so, there's a hell of a lot more cultures than that. And, I was lucky enough to experience quite a few of them.

I see absolutely no reason why we can't celebrate our individual cultures, while still being 'good' Americans! I'm never going to stop celebrating my ethnic heritage, nor my wife's.

As long as kids can still celebrate with Pumpkin/Halloween parades, etc, I'm all for the above!
I love reading your posts about the old neighborhoods and how we celebrate and tolerate diversity.

M

We're post War immigrant families on both sides (different countries), and so was much of my neighborhood. Hell, so was much of my city! The blend of cultures was awesome. And most of us came to appreciate the other cultures, including dress, customs, and of course - booze, food, and . . . dating! If you ever want to get to know a different culture, date them!

We're on completely separate wavelengths here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the blend of cultures you are describing. I'm certainly not knocking it.

So skip it.

As long as kids can still celebrate with Pumpkin/Halloween parades, etc, I'm all for the above!
I love reading your posts about the old neighborhoods and how we celebrate and tolerate diversity.

Thanks for this! I saw your 'like', and was going to reply to you on this very subject.

We were lucking to have experienced the melting-pot of the place & era we did. My experience, due to my immediate local geography, might have been a little more intensely ethnically cultural than yours, but I'm sure you know exactly what I experienced! Because, it was experienced all over the city!

Some things still hang-on, too, Trix. You still hear,

"Where you from"?

or,

"Where they from"?

And the answer expected, is not their house address! :p

M

We're on completely separate wavelengths here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the blend of cultures you are describing. I'm certainly not knocking it.

So skip it.

No problem, MaryP.

Thanks for the convo . . .

Last Halloween half the kids trick or treating were of East Indian ethnicity

The only groups that don’t like Halloween here are certain Christian groups.

Why I recall one Christian charity group did not want any Harry Potter or other witch craft type gifts provided by donors for Christmas

Because these batshit ideas spread amongst the greater woke spectrum that's why. Just wait.
Do you ever get upset when fundamentalist Christians attack Halloween? They've been trying to cancel it for years.

I sure do.
My daughter has done set design at a prominent Halloween haunt for years. They used to get picketed by the local fundamentalists. All it ever did was help their attendance. 😁

Great. Its looks like Halloween is the next thing to be canceled. Will the wokeism ever end?

Is it possible for you to think outside your own experience?
"Halloween events create a situation where some students must be excluded for their beliefs, financial status, or life experience."

And what does a costume parade have to do with any educational pursuit?

Is it possible for you to think outside your own experience?
"Halloween events create a situation where some students must be excluded for their beliefs, financial status, or life experience."

And what does a costume parade have to do with any educational pursuit?
Halloween is an American cultural tradition for the majority of people living in this country. Why should we have to cancel our traditions just because a small percentage of people dont want to participate? Its maddening. In the coming years we may have no more Halloween, no more July 4th, no more Christmas, Thanksgiving, St. Patricks day.....you name it. They want to cancel everything because "inclusion". Then what will we have? Nothing. Our American culture is DISAPPEARING before our eyes.

Back
Top Bottom