• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle school cancels "pumpkin parade" for "marginalizing people of color"

Great. Its looks like Halloween is the next thing to be canceled. Will the wokeism ever end?

This is insanity.

School principal Stanley Jaskot confirmed that the parade was cancelled.
"Halloween is a very complex issue for schools. Yes, I agree this event marginalized our students of color. Several of our students historically opted for an alternate activity in the library while the pumpkin parade took place. This was an isolating situation and not consistent with our values of being an inclusive and safe place for all our students – especially students of color and those with a sensitivity to all the noise and excitement of the parade."

ttps://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-school-cancels-halloween-parade-marginalizes-students-color

Great. Its looks like Halloween is the next thing to be canceled. Will the wokeism ever end?

Just another snowflake over reaction to a holiday that somebody doesn't like. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate but you don't have to kill it for everyone. So the next time somebody is opposed to Juneteenth, or Kwanza then well, we just can't have it because it offends or marginalizes someone. This is cray crap.

I'm a little lost with the Board's explanation:

“Historically, the Pumpkin Parade marginalizes students of color who do not celebrate the holiday,” a spokesperson told Jason Rantz, a Seattle-based conservative radio host. “Specifically, these students have requested to be isolated on campus while the event took place.”

I'm a little lost with the Board's explanation:
Ikr.

Maybe this will help a little?

Or this one?

And perhaps Halloween is the whitest holiday of them all. It is a day dedicated to all things dark and scary. It must be nice to have so much privilege that you need to set aside a day to be afraid. Do you know what day feels like Halloween for black people? The days that end in "y." The days where either the sun shines or the moon glows. All the days.

It’s difficult for us to muster up fake enthusiasm for a moonlit hayride on the back of a pickup truck through an abandoned cemetery when driving a Honda Accord through the middle of town at noon can be equally terrifying if we spot police lights behind us. Being chased after by a chainsaw-wielding man in a hockey mask instills only a fraction of the fear that a white man in a blue uniform can instigate.

Yet another way we are experiencing very different countries. It's so sad. But for kids to be so afraid they actually ask to sit it out? I just wish we could share the good stuff, the fun stuff more. This is an elementary school, they're young kids. Smh

“Halloween events create a situation where some students must be excluded for their beliefs, financial status, or life experience. Costume parties often become an uncomfortable event for many children, and they distract students and staff from learning,” the letter read.

From your article

How is this any different than all the Christian schools changing it to harvest day instead of Halloween? They've been doing that for the last 10 years. Halloween is always on the chopping block for one reason or the other. Simmer down.

Ikr.

Maybe this will help a little?

Or this one?

And perhaps Halloween is the whitest holiday of them all. It is a day dedicated to all things dark and scary. It must be nice to have so much privilege that you need to set aside a day to be afraid. Do you know what day feels like Halloween for black people? The days that end in "y." The days where either the sun shines or the moon glows. All the days.

It’s difficult for us to muster up fake enthusiasm for a moonlit hayride on the back of a pickup truck through an abandoned cemetery when driving a Honda Accord through the middle of town at noon can be equally terrifying if we spot police lights behind us. Being chased after by a chainsaw-wielding man in a hockey mask instills only a fraction of the fear that a white man in a blue uniform can instigate.

Yet another way we are experiencing very different countries. It's so sad. But for kids to be so afraid they actually ask to sit it out? I just wish we could share the good stuff, the fun stuff more. This is an elementary school, they're young kids. Smh

Still makes no sense, to me.

For a long time, my mom taught in a neighborhood with a large Jehovah's Witness community, and every year, she had at least one or two students who she had to seat in a corner, facing away from them, while they had their holiday parties. She couldn't even bring them a plate of goodies. She hated that. That's the first thing I thought of when I read the article.

Halloween is big around here, although not as many kids go door to door as used to. But cashiers and teachers will be in costume, there is a businesses Halloween trick or treat on Main Street that is extremely well attended, many people have their lawn decorations out....not too woke or afraid of real witches around here, I guess.

I live in a large, diverse, multi-cultural city. All those cultures 'add' to each other. We should be 'adding' culture, not subtracting it.

I live in a large, diverse, multi-cultural city. All those cultures 'add' to each other. We should be 'adding' culture, not subtracting it.
If I were that school administrator, I wouldn't have cancelled the parade for a few kids that don't want to participate, but I'd do my best to make sure those kids were having fun, too--which the school may well have already been doing--and try to find ways to include them. Maybe by having them take pictures of the parade or acting as crossing guards or judges, even. With teachers right beside them so they wouldn't be nervous.

If I were that school administrator, I wouldn't have cancelled the parade for a few kids that don't want to participate, but I'd do my best to make sure those kids were having fun, too--which the school may well have already been doing--and try to find ways to include them. Maybe by having them take pictures of the parade or acting as crossing guards or judges, even. With teachers right beside them so they wouldn't be nervous.

Yep. We should be inviting each other into our cultures, to learn & experience each other.

Yep. We should be inviting each other into our cultures, to learn & experience each other.
Maybe some day our experiences won't be so different. These are primarily African AMERICANS we're talking about and the whole thing gives me a sad. We shouldn't have to be 'sharing culture' with people who have been here just as long as whites have!!!!

For a long time, my mom taught in a neighborhood with a large Jehovah's Witness community, and every year, she had at least one or two students who she had to seat in a corner, facing away from them, while they had their holiday parties. She couldn't even bring them a plate of goodies. She hated that. That's the first thing I thought of when I read the article.

Halloween is big around here, although not as many kids go door to door as used to. But cashiers and teachers will be in costume, there is a businesses Halloween trick or treat on Main Street that is extremely well attended, many people have their lawn decorations out....not too woke or afraid of real witches around here, I guess.
Last halloween i went out for a walk in my fox suit with a mask on that i had to stretch out pretty good to fit. Im too old for trick or treating but nobody’s too old for costumed walks!

Last halloween i went out for a walk in my fox suit with a mask on that i had to stretch out pretty good to fit. Im too old for trick or treating but nobody’s too old for costumed walks!
Atta boy!
I knew a couple of folks who trick or treated with a shot glass. It probably works best if they're friends.

Some school doing something = Halloween "canceled" LMAO
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! the sky is falling!!!! ruuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUUuuuun!

anyway, the nonsensical hyperbole in the OP aside i went looking for other sources of this

not really any specific information::

" claiming that the annual event ‘marginalizes’ students of color who administrators claim do not celebrate the holiday."
"The school defended the decision, saying that a number of students of color opt out of the event each year and feel excluded because they don’t celebrate Halloween. "

what "people of color" are they talking about . . is this a regional thing, school-specific etc?

I dont know any people of color that do not celebrate Halloween in my area so this is greek and makes no sense to me.

It wasn't long ago that it was the evangelical right attacking the celebration of Halloween.

I feel bad for the conservative kids and their one opportunity where it is okay to wear a mask.

I don't get. Hundreds of black kids trick or treat in my neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom