• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle Police Chief Resigns

This is in no way an indictment of the alleged incompetent and hostile leadership of Seattle to law enforcement.

She probably just wanted to spend more time with her family.

I’m sure the $100k reduction in her salary aided in making that decision.

I believe the average doctor earns north of $300,000 per year. Check out Fremont CA, Washington Hospital administrator for a super well paid person. I believe about a million per year in wages and benefits.
I'm reading the mean for "medical doctor" is $300k with an average of about $224k. That's more than I remembered off the top of my head, but my point still stands.

Do you think a police chief should be paid more than two doctors? Or more than eight High School principals? The amount that position pays is obscene!

Plenty of doctors get paid more than her, which isn't even a part of the discussion.

The stress of that position matches the pay. She oversaw every department within her agency. That's a lot of responsiblity.

It's not obscene and for someone who supposedly is about diversity, you sure are highlighting your racism against a qualified black individual.

Seattle can run fine with 50% of the police force. They really are unnecessary and an anchor on our payroll.

Sure, it will run so well that whenever I need to get to the other side of Seattle I’ll take 405. Should still be able to see the city burning to the ground from across the lake.

We have a police state when we pay cops more than teachers. Especially THAT much more.

Teachers aren't risking their physical and mental health for a paycheck, daily. And honestly officers on average should be paid more than the current $50,000 - $60,000 range they're starting out on today for the work they do.

We have a police state when we pay cops more than teachers. Especially THAT much more.

I think the salary disparity is irrelevant. Most teachers have union representation. If they feel underpaid, they can strike. More to the point, teachers are not asked to put their lives on the line as a duty, nor do they have a full work year. Thanks!!

Do you think a police chief should be paid more than two doctors? Or more than eight High School principals? The amount that position pays is obscene!

To be fair, she was responsible for keeping far more people alive and safe and well than two doctors, not to mention responsible for a budget a few orders of magnitude larger than any single doctor at the payscale you are referring to.

I'm reading the mean for "medical doctor" is $300k with an average of about $224k. That's more than I remembered off the top of my head, but my point still stands.

When my son in law was still an active duty cop, he would make in the area of $130,000 per year.

I do not know the typical police chief income, do you know what it is?

When I worked on salary compensation for a CEO, we had professional books we used to help guide the process.

They do not come to the attention of virtually all voters so they do not know such books exist.

I would quit too with these measly budget cuts. Glad she took a stand. 3-4% budget reduction over a period of a few years is pathetic! It needs to be 3x that per year, for about 5 years. Get a clue what "defund" means, Seattle!

When my son in law was still an active duty cop, he would make in the area of $130,000 per year.

I do not know the typical police chief income, do you know what it is?

When I worked on salary compensation for a CEO, we had professional books we used to help guide the process.

They do not come to the attention of virtually all voters so they do not know such books exist.
- I don't believe teachers typically crack $100k even with 20 years of experience.
- A cursory search of job sites (indeed, ziprecruiter) is suggesting the average Chief of Police salary is around $90k.
- I would hope that something guided the processes which arrived at that number. But at the end of the day, sheesh! What was that something anyway?!?

Seattle police chief to resign following budget cuts

"Carmen Best, the city’s first Black police chief, said in a letter to the department that her retirement will be effective Sept. 2 and the mayor has appointed Deputy Chief Adrian Diaz as the interim chief, KING-TV reported Monday. Council members had approved the cuts Monday."

Democrat platform initiative for 2020 of defunding police nationwide is catching on with democrat Councils like wildfire already.
Or is that just the smell of Seattle burning ?
I heard late last night that the counsel changed their minds and cut a little more than 3-4% vs 50% from police budget and that the Chief was staying.

The bright spot in all this is that as there are less and less police officers, with those that remain literally just marking time for retirement , making no arrests, the ever increasing pandemic related domestic violence beatdowns, child abuse will never be documented for statistics.
Therefore we will have superbly low levels of domestic beatdowns to report and brag about , thereby justifying even more democrat style police defunding .
It's the Win, Win that just keeps on defunding .
Sweet!
Pandemic Escalates Domestic Abuse And Reduces Chances To Flee : Shots - Health News : NPR

This person was making $280k a year, and folks wonder why the police need to be defunded.

She came into office and the first thing on her plate was to oversee a major metropolitan police force that was under federal regulation and guidelines (sort of a probation) to diversify and change a record of violence and police abuse. And she was doing very well. She got them 'off of probation' and met those guidelines.

Not only that, her salary was competitive with other metropolitan police chiefs and they wanted to lower a black woman chief's salary lower than white male counterparts elsewhere. And yet her job responsibilities wouldnt be fewer or less important.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Last edited:
I heard late last night that the counsel changed their minds and cut a little more than 3-4% vs 50% from police budget and that the Chief was staying.

Yeah, they backed down hard. Shame.

Worthless comparison.

She's not just a cop, she's an administrator on whom responsibility and accountability fall.

OTOH, the Seattle School District Superintendent makes $295,000. That job has fewer dangers and fewer public confrontations to deal with.

Access Denied. (Link works)

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

I was surprised when I saw how much she made as well. But is that out of the ordinary though?

Seattle can run fine with 50% of the police force. They really are unnecessary and an anchor on our payroll.

Good luck with that experiment, sincerely.

Yeah, she's where this train wreck is headed.

Can you name a few states that pay their police less than their teachers?

Worthless comparison.

She's not just a cop, she's an administrator on whom responsibility and accountability fall.

OTOH, the Seattle School District Superintendent makes $295,000. That job has fewer dangers and fewer public confrontations to deal with.

Access Denied. (Link works)

I should've quoted you for this reply too, here ya go:

That superintendent salary is very interesting, thanks for that. Is the COLA in Seattle really around 3x the national average? I guess that could explain it...

I should've quoted you for this reply too, here ya go:

It's not about average. And it also depends on the city. Look at what the school district superintendent makes here. How does that compare with the averages? Other places? :shrug:

They stated that her salary was comparable to other city leaders and the same as her predecessor's.

San Francisco may be more comparable: San Francisco’s police chief Greg Suhr makes $307,450.

Seattle police chief to resign following budget cuts

"Carmen Best, the city’s first Black police chief, said in a letter to the department that her retirement will be effective Sept. 2 and the mayor has appointed Deputy Chief Adrian Diaz as the interim chief, KING-TV reported Monday. Council members had approved the cuts Monday."

Democrat platform initiative for 2020 of defunding police nationwide is catching on with democrat Councils like wildfire already.
Or is that just the smell of Seattle burning ?
It would not surprise me if she was forced out. She has been outspoken against the rioting in her town.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom