• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle Ditches Cyclist Helmet Laws...for being Racist

Roadvirus

Heading North
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Seems a better solution is to fix the enforcement than to remove the law. But I haven't looked at the issue to get their side of the story.

I pretty sure that homicide charges are being disproportionally enforced against males in this country. Can we get those laws declared null because of gender bias? I being half serious here.

Look I am all for safety, especially for children. But this is a personal decision IMO. Now if they were electrical bikes who are speed pedelecs then yes, helmets should be mandatory. A speed pedelec can go as fast as 30 miles or faster. But normal peddling bikes should not have mandatory helmets, that should be voluntary. Problem solved.

Oh, I can remember those days of yore when so many people down here in the South said that wearing seatbelts was an infringement on our freedoms.

"You don't want me to smear my skull all over the pavement? That's racist!!!"

There could be subsidized helmets as they do now for children whose parents can not afford a helmet. A free $30.00 helmet is much cheaper than 2 weeks in the ICU with a head injury and lifelong supportive care because of a permanent brain injury.

I've even heard tell of some DP White Knights that will say that FBI crime stats are "racist".

They should just come out and say what they mean in plain English: "Laws are racist".

The helmet law is stupid...but not because its racist.

But such is the idiocy of CRT and the "Anti-Racist" movements and their moronic supporters.

How many lives do bike helmets save?​

According to Reuters, there were 900 deaths and nearly 500,000 emergency room visits because of bicycle-related injuries in 2013. The agency found at the time that wearing a helmet reduced the chance of traumatic brain injury by 52 percent and the risk of death by 44 percent.

Do bike helmets actually help?​

A major study of bicycle helmets from around the world showed that they reduced the risk of a serious head injury by nearly 70%. They found cyclists who wear helmets reduce their risk of dying from a head injury by 65% and that there is no correlation between helmet usage and neck injuries.

Looks like Seattle wants people hurt from riding a bike?

That's all you can offer? Copy and past an article and make a childish, moronic comment to show you don't know any of the facts?

“Helmets save lives, full stop. But the disproportional enforcement of the requirement gives us concern” about how it affects people who are homeless and communities of color, McDermott said before the vote.

People should wear helmets on a bike, but I don't think it should be mandatory. If people want to be dumb, have at it. They won't be harming other people (unlike seat belt where you can become a projectile)

Seems a better solution is to fix the enforcement than to remove the law. But I haven't looked at the issue to get their side of the story.

Yeah, does seem silly reason to get rid of law, whiel allowing the shitty enforcement behavior. and that's just a minor one, imagine all the other laws disproportionately enforced on minorities

How many lives do bike helmets save?​

According to Reuters, there were 900 deaths and nearly 500,000 emergency room visits because of bicycle-related injuries in 2013. The agency found at the time that wearing a helmet reduced the chance of traumatic brain injury by 52 percent and the risk of death by 44 percent.

Do bike helmets actually help?​

A major study of bicycle helmets from around the world showed that they reduced the risk of a serious head injury by nearly 70%. They found cyclists who wear helmets reduce their risk of dying from a head injury by 65% and that there is no correlation between helmet usage and neck injuries.

Looks like Seattle wants people hurt from riding a bike?
Why are you against freedom?

What they're saying is the cops are using helmets to disproportionally (unfairly) target and stop black (mostly) males. To enforce the helmet law but also to shake them down for other crimes, an excuse to run their IDs, etc.

Which then also increases chances of escalating conflicts and more cops killing people of color disproportionally as well. Like when cops pull over a black driver for having a deodorizer hanging from his rv mirror, he panics, and the cop accidentally shoots and kills them. Or for unpaid child support and the cop shoots the black guy running away in the back. Or....

What they're saying is the cops are using helmets to disproportionally (unfairly) target and stop black (mostly) males. To enforce the helmet law but also to shake them down for other crimes, an excuse to run their IDs, etc.

Which then also increases chances of escalating conflicts and more cops killing people of color disproportionally as well. Like when cops pull over a black driver for having a deodorizer hanging from his rv mirror, he panics, and the cop accidentally shoots and kills them. Or for unpaid child support and the cop shoots the black guy running away in the back. Or....
That police policy must end if that is what is occurring, as you would know if you live in that vicinity.

Look I am all for safety, especially for children. But this is a personal decision IMO. Now if they were electrical bikes who are speed pedelecs then yes, helmets should be mandatory. A speed pedelec can go as fast as 30 miles or faster. But normal peddling bikes should not have mandatory helmets, that should be voluntary. Problem solved.

1. I don't see how it can be a "personal decision" only under the completely arbitrary speed of 30 mph and then it magically stops becoming a personal decision over that speed.
2. I have a friend who is a serious bicyclist, and he hits 50mph going down hills all the time.

I would never wear a bicycle helmet. Freedom and my hair are important
Tell me about that freedom and your hair when you do an endo over the bars at 25mph or a car makes a left turn in front of you while you are in the bike lane.

People should wear helmets on a bike, but I don't think it should be mandatory. If people want to be dumb, have at it. They won't be harming other people (unlike seat belt where you can become a projectile)

Wait, your rationale for mandatory seat belt laws are based on the one in a bazillion chance of a person being ejected from a car in such a way that his body flies through the air and strikes another person?

You must be a member of the party of science.

I'm not big on nanny-state laws.

In 27 states, adults can ride motorcycles without helmets. Despite the fact that I wear a helmet every time I ride one, I think bicycle helmet laws are silly.

What they're saying is the cops are using helmets to disproportionally (unfairly) target and stop black (mostly) males.
What pansy ass Wokeists are saying. Not sane people.

Which then also increases chances of escalating conflicts and more cops killing people of color disproportionally as well. Like when cops pull over a black driver for having a deodorizer hanging from his rv mirror, he panics, and the cop accidentally shoots and kills them.

The problem there is not the Police or the laws, imo, but the problem is those who decide to break the laws. Yeah it "increases the chance of escalating the conflict" when you decide you dont feel like being arrested that day. Your chances of a very unpleasant encounter with Law Enforcement skyrocket the second you make that decision.

Prolly should just do away with cops altogether....that way no criminals will ever be inconvenienced. No chances for "escalation" if nobody is out there enforcing the laws.

Absolutely!!!

Cops should be prohibited from engaging with blacks, period. There is no good reason for ANY cop to approach ANY black person because doing so just encourages violence against blacks and promotes systemic racism. Blacks need to be protected and we can't protect blacks if we have cops...or white people.

Back
Top Bottom