• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle City Hall Considers Banning ‘Offensive’ Words

Seattle City Hall Considers Banning ‘Offensive’ Words

Seattle City Hall Considers Banning ‘Offensive’ Words - ABC News

City Officials in Seattle are defending an internal memo that questions the use of certain terms such as “brown bag” (as in “brown-bag lunch”) or “citizen” in a government setting.

Are you kidding me? Citizen is now a "bad word"? and so is brown bag because it may offend people?

Next up we won't be allowed to use the words: white, black, yellow, brown or red because they are all implicitly directive at races and thus, may constitute racism. And citizen? really? Jesus Christ.

political-correctness.jpg

Personally, "grilled cheese" has always offended me.

It's Seattle. They probably think "Republican" is an offensive word.

Did The Onion hack their website or something? Because that news story sounds like a parody.

'Citizen' could be deemed offensive? By who? For what reason?

And 'brown bag' used to be a way people could judge skin color? Really, because I thought it was just because the bag was ****ing brown.

Did The Onion hack their website or something? Because that news story sounds like a parody.

And 'brown bag' used to be a way people could judge skin color? Really, because I thought it was just because the bag was ****ing brown.

I'm just guessing here, but I sensed that "citizen" would be deemed offensive to illegal immigrants who live in the city.

The "brown bag" thing really baffles me. What does it mean if I'm a white guy who detests Wonder (white) bread and has always preferred wheat bread? :shrug:

I'm just guessing here, but I sensed that "citizen" would be deemed offensive to illegal immigrants who live in the city.

Yeah, but they recommended 'resident' as a replacement, and couldn't that do the same thing? Referring to resident aliens vs. illegal aliens?

Yeah, but they recommended 'resident' as a replacement, and couldn't that do the same thing? Referring to resident aliens vs. illegal aliens?

See, that occurred to me as well. They're making a cosmetic change really, and yet not really changing anything.

Citizen is an inclusive word. If you are not a citizen, but on a student visa, illegal alien, toursit visa, work visa. Your little feelings may be hurt.

Back
Top Bottom