• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Seattle bartender outraged over no bail release of violent suspect

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A bartender in Seattle is outraged that the man accused of slashing her in the face was let out of jail by a judge on the promise he’ll show up for his next court date.

Surveillance video captured the brutality of that attack and Felicite Ogilvy questions her safety knowing the man arrested is back on the streets.

The attack happened in late December when the mandate to check proof of COVID-19 vaccination took a violent turn at Joe’s Bar and Grill. A man who didn't have his card was told to leave by Ogilvy, who was bartending that night. However, instead that man lashed out and hit Ogilvy in the face with a stick that had a sharp piece of metal attached to one end.

Ogilvy has undergone surgery and is scheduled for more to help heal the wound that initially required 31 sutures to close up.

I can certainly understand her outrage. There’s no ration reason for this guy to be out without bail.

She has a right to feel outraged. What that judge did was totally contrary to any notion of justice.

A bartender in Seattle is outraged that the man accused of slashing her in the face was let out of jail by a judge on the promise he’ll show up for his next court date.

Surveillance video captured the brutality of that attack and Felicite Ogilvy questions her safety knowing the man arrested is back on the streets.

The attack happened in late December when the mandate to check proof of COVID-19 vaccination took a violent turn at Joe’s Bar and Grill. A man who didn't have his card was told to leave by Ogilvy, who was bartending that night. However, instead that man lashed out and hit Ogilvy in the face with a stick that had a sharp piece of metal attached to one end.

Ogilvy has undergone surgery and is scheduled for more to help heal the wound that initially required 31 sutures to close up.

I can certainly understand her outrage. There’s no ration reason for this guy to be out without bail.
Why?

Bail is not meant to be a punishment, but as a means to ensure the accused show up for trial and or to prevent the accused from committing other offenses. Without bail people will be locked up for crimes they may be found not guilty of committing. Which would be wrongful punishment

Why?

Bail is not meant to be a punishment, but as a means to ensure the accused show up for trial and or to prevent the accused from committing other offenses. Without bail people will be locked up for crimes they may be found not guilty of committing. Which would be wrongful punishment
Much better for someone seen on video and clearly identified as the attacker to be walking around? I hope she does the smart thing and carries a weapon to defend herself from this nut job.

Did I not see an update saying that the guy IS now back in custody and NOT being released? (Hence he now HAS bail?)

Much better for someone seen on video and clearly identified as the attacker to be walking around? I hope she does the smart thing and carries a weapon to defend herself from this nut job.

Again, the person has not been convicted of the crime. For all we know he may never be convicted and as such locking then up would not be justice.

If the accused is likely to offend while free until trial bail or no bail is not likely to change that fact. So if he is likely to commit an offense he should have remained in jail. Bail is just a means to ensure the accused shows up for trial

Again, the person has not been convicted of the crime. For all we know he may never be convicted and as such locking then up would not be justice.

If the accused is likely to offend while free until trial bail or no bail is not likely to change that fact. So if he is likely to commit an offense he should have remained in jail. Bail is just a means to ensure the accused shows up for trial
Considering he was hiding from the police for 6 weeks, there’s no guarantee he’s going to show up. Who knows, maybe he can add to his tally of victims before then.

Considering he was hiding from the police for 6 weeks, there’s no guarantee he’s going to show up. Who knows, maybe he can add to his tally of victims before then.
As I said if the accused is likely to reoffend keep them in jail. Bail has nothing to do with justice, justice is when the accused is found guilty or not guilty.

I can understand the victim being concerned about her safety, but if the accused is likely to offend while out of jail prior to trial bail is not going to stop that

As I said if the accused is likely to reoffend keep them in jail. Bail has nothing to do with justice, justice is when the accused is found guilty or not guilty.

I can understand the victim being concerned about her safety, but if the accused is likely to offend while out of jail prior to trial bail is not going to stop that
It does if he can’t post it.

Bail is what you use to ensure someone shows up for trial.

A dangerousness hearing is what you use to ensure that someone who is a danger to the public stays locked up pending trial.

I'd be shocked if a state had no mechanism to do the latter. The article says nothing about the prosecutor attempting it.

Which goes against the right of the accused to have reasonable bail
Bail should be reasonable for the crime and the likelihood the suspect will flee. This case warranted bail, in my opinion.

Bail should be reasonable for the crime and the likelihood the suspect will flee. This case warranted bail, in my opinion.

Reasonable bail means that the person has a chance to get it. Recall that the accused has not been found guilty at this time and punishing people for crimes they are not guilty of is certainly not justice

Reasonable bail means that the person has a chance to get it. Recall that the accused has not been found guilty at this time and punishing people for crimes they are not guilty of is certainly not justice
The court should also take into consideration through some means the chance that the suspect in a violent attack is likely to attack someone else while wandering around the streets.

Clearly the perp is a risk of no-show. He couldn't be found for 6 weeks after the incident.

Clearly the perp is a risk of no-show. He couldn't be found for 6 weeks after the incident.
Disgusting!

But no surprise in 2022 America and in Seattle!!!!!!

Disgusting!

But no surprise in 2022 America and in Seattle!!!!!!
America needs to regain respect for others. The casual disregard for the lives/concerns of others is palpable. We live in societies. Members of a society always need to consider how their actions affect others. A successful society is made up of individuals who care about others. If there are too many individuals who disregard others, the society goes into decline.

Now hang on a minute! Just because someone committed a violent felony doesn't mean the suspect is dangerous. Besides, the guy promised to come back for the trial. Is a man's word not good in America any more?

People need to understand that criminals have rights too and that we'd have a lot less crime in this country if people would simply stop complaining about having their shit stolen and getting a little beat down once in a while. Some people struggle with their mental health and if they feel a need to beat you, stab you or throw you in front of a subway train then that's not their fault and we need to be more caring and understanding about these issues.

What really needs to happen is more "restorative justice" engagements. If the "victim" were to sit down with the "suspect" a little more often and everyone talked through their feelings we'd solve a lot of these issues. The so called "victims" need to understand the pressures that the "criminals" are forced to deal with and the deep pain that such an unjust society imposes on those with less power.

Some people struggle with their mental health and if they feel a need to beat you, stab you or throw you in front of a subway train then that's not their fault and we need to be more caring and understanding about these issues.
Absolutely!

I just saw (on FOX, of course) Hillary Clinton leave a meeting and get into her chauffeured car.

There were a lot of strong men in civilian clothes who surrounded her.

She really should dismiss those bodyguards.

After all, we all know how "caring and understanding" she is.

Why?

It's obvious that this guy is a danger to society AND SHOULD NOT be allowed to walk free.

It's obvious that this guy is a danger to society AND SHOULD NOT be allowed to walk free.

He has not been found guilty as of this time.

If he is a danger he should have been held in jail and not released, bail or no bail

Here is the nice guy, Marques Echols age 38 of Seattle Washington in action.

5SVCIONEBJHAHB6LJVGB4HWQC4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom