• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scuse me, but what in HELL is a "Libertarian 1A Auditor"?

Checkerboard Strangler

Make Video Horizontal Again
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Apparently it's a bitter, frustrated JERK who runs around all day filming public employees (like JANITORS) and gets in their faces.

I'd sure love a little more insight into what it is they believe their mission is, because it sure seems like they need to find a new one.

There isn't any "roundtable" forum so for lack of any alternative, I just put it here.
If you want to comment, by all means go for it but I just wanted to put it out there so people could just see it.

What a ****ing jerk! Who does stuff like that?

We'll, that's "journalism" in the age of social media.

-edit-

From looking at the YouTube channel it seems this jackass with a beef about Charlotte County public administration.

Last edited:
Apparently it's a bitter, frustrated JERK who runs around all day filming public employees (like JANITORS) and gets in their faces.

I'd sure love a little more insight into what it is they believe their mission is, because it sure seems like they need to find a new one.

There isn't any "roundtable" forum so for lack of any alternative, I just put it here.
If you want to comment, by all means go for it but I just wanted to put it out there so people could just see it.

I did notice that the person filming said he was going to show the janitor he claimed was filming him to be a liar.

I did not see that.

I pray he comes to a show I'm on. Our cameras are bigger and I can put him up EVERYHWERE!

What a ****ing jerk! Who does stuff like that?

We'll, that's "journalism" in the age of social media.

No, that's "citizen journalism" in the age of social media. Unencumbered by journalistic standards an editor and a publisher, they do anything they want.

Well, I can't speak for this idiot. But, they started out with good intentions. The police have a tendency to harass people who video them, for obvious reasons. So this 1a auditing thing started just to film the police, where ever they are, whatever they are doing. Not to catch them up. But to get them used to the idea of being filmed. To provoke the cops into saying things like you can't film me, or you can't be on this public property. And then have them call supervisors to be told otherwise on film.

Some of these 1a auditors have been arrested, beaten, and tased by cops.

This guy, tho, seems like a jonny come lately give me attention for being a jerk.

1A auditors have made it safer to film the police, who are now all briefed specifically on 1a auditors and their rights to film and where they can be.

No, that's "citizen journalism" in the age of social media. Unencumbered by journalistic standards an editor and a publisher, they do anything they want.

So... social media has made “citizen journalists” the equivalent of jake and Logan Paul?

This comment says it all:

Josh Brown
18 hours ago
That janitor has nothing to do concerning your grievances against Charlotte County. You were just a douche on this one. Thumbs down man.

Gina, the prevalence of the "citizen journalist" has pushed "professional journalists" to lower their standards...a lot. We see more and more main stream media pieces sourced from Twitter, Facebook and various blogs. The quality of the reporting has decreased accordingly and, with lower standards, we get lower quality stuff...like that displayed in the OP. These "citizen journalists" no longer feel a need to come up to traditional professional standards because those standards no longer exist.

My wife's office has had to deal with a similar person named "Jamie" who went around filming Youtube videos of Fresno City employees on their lunch breaks pointing out how Fresno Taxpayer money was being wasted, while peppering them with insulting questions and trying to catch them in lies.

Oof. That reminds me of those anti-vaxxers who come up to doctors that are having vaccination drives, and they yell at them about mercury or whatnot.

Oof. That reminds me of those anti-vaxxers who come up to doctors that are having vaccination drives, and they yell at them about mercury or whatnot.

There have always been a lot of people in the world that like to hear themselves talk and social media gives them an ideal platform for that kind of thing. The jackass that wrote 4 letters a day to City Hall 30 years ago now makes 4 videos, gets more attention and gets to rub one out as he watches people react to his assholery.

I did notice that the person filming said he was going to show the janitor he claimed was filming him to be a liar.

I did not see that.

I pray he comes to a show I'm on. Our cameras are bigger and I can put him up EVERYHWERE!

Well shoot howdy. I didn't even know you were in the industry.
Are you a DP?

So... social media has made “citizen journalists” the equivalent of jake and Logan Paul?

They certainly have tainted the whole affair. I would take anything posted on YouTube as journalism with a pillar of salt. My mother sends me links to the most ridiculous YouTube videos, like it's real news. I definitely have a jaundiced eye when it comes to "citizen journalism".

Gina, the prevalence of the "citizen journalist" has pushed "professional journalists" to lower their standards...a lot. We see more and more main stream media pieces sourced from Twitter, Facebook and various blogs. The quality of the reporting has decreased accordingly and, with lower standards, we get lower quality stuff...like that displayed in the OP. These "citizen journalists" no longer feel a need to come up to traditional professional standards because those standards no longer exist.

I have to disagree, Luther. NYT, WaPo, LAT, CNN and the like, have editors and publishers to whom they are responsible to maintain their reputation. In this era, the scrutiny and pressure they are under is more extreme than at any other time. Yes, they will get stories wrong, on occasion, but it is not the norm and they take a black eye for it. None of the traditional news providers go out to tarnish their reputations with fake news.

"Citizen journalists" don't have traditional standards because they don't feel the need to because they don't exist? Whether one feels the traditional standards exist or not, and I support the argument that they do, any journalist desiring credibility pro or citizen, should have the highest standards. Yes?

Well shoot howdy. I didn't even know you were in the industry.
Are you a DP?

I'm with the 122, remember? Convention AV specializing in video. I don't stand/sit still well enough for camera work! Actually just did my first general session video engineer gig and that speaks to me. That's where my comment came from. I could send any camera to any screen. Pretty cool.

I have to disagree, Luther. NYT, WaPo, LAT, CNN and the like, have editors and publishers to whom they are responsible to maintain their reputation. In this era, the scrutiny and pressure they are under is more extreme than at any other time. Yes, they will get stories wrong, on occasion, but it is not the norm and they take a black eye for it. None of the traditional news providers go out to tarnish their reputations with fake news.

"Citizen journalists" don't have traditional standards because they don't feel the need to because they don't exist? Whether one feels the traditional standards exist or not, and I support the argument that they do, any journalist desiring credibility pro or citizen, should have the highest standards. Yes?

While I place the responsibility for getting a story "right" on the reader, as I have since I first realized that a newspaper headline might be misleading, I place the responsibility for conducting one's self in a responsible manner on the reporter.

The "truth" of the story is a 1st Amendment issue so if someone wants to write fake news I really don't care. It gives me something to talk about here. However, when I see these "citizen journalists" wasting the time of public officials and harassing people who are just trying to get through their day I can't really consider that to be a 1A issue. People like the guy in the OP video, "gun rights" advocates who walk down the street with ARs, "protesters" who harass kids waiting for a bus at the Lincoln memorial, etc. aren't practicing journalism. They are practicing harassment and using journalism as a cover for their self serving, obnoxious behavior.

While I place the responsibility for getting a story "right" on the reader, as I have since I first realized that a newspaper headline might be misleading, I place the responsibility for conducting one's self in a responsible manner on the reporter.

The "truth" of the story is a 1st Amendment issue so if someone wants to write fake news I really don't care. It gives me something to talk about here. However, when I see these "citizen journalists" wasting the time of public officials and harassing people who are just trying to get through their day I can't really consider that to be a 1A issue. People like the guy in the OP video, "gun rights" advocates who walk down the street with ARs, "protesters" who harass kids waiting for a bus at the Lincoln memorial, etc. aren't practicing journalism. They are practicing harassment and using journalism as a cover for their self serving, obnoxious behavior.

We are in agreement, Luther. The reporter is the first most responsible person to get a story right. In the second paragraph, witnesses recording protesters and violent incidents, that's not "journalism" per se, they happened to be there. We agree, it's clear the guy who made the video in the OP, was attempting to collect video to present a "story" about government waste. Witnesses to a potential crime, are in a different category. What becomes of it afterward, becomes the story in the media and they need to learn to be more careful, apply standard journalistic standards, do their jobs and nail down as much information as possible before presenting the story as "factual".

Back
Top Bottom