• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scrappers, pickers, scavengers

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Since moving to suburban Phila I've noticed an interesting phenom: scrappers, mostly at night. Putting anything metal out on the curb for the trash collection guys attracts these people, mostly at night because I've never seen one in action. Most of what they collect is sold for the value of the metal content I think they are performing a valuable service by converting trash into $$$.

The problem is when they start gutting your outside AC unit for copper, or even the local substation.

More of an issue 10+ years ago, before metal scrapping places started instituting ID checks and inquiries about the provenance of some items, usually as a requirement of state law.

The problem is when they start gutting your outside AC unit for copper, or even the local substation.

More of an issue 10+ years ago, before metal scrapping places started instituting ID checks and inquiries about the provenance of some items, usually as a requirement of state law.

They had to really crack down on catalytic converters being sold for scrap without ID around here. It was getting so no pickup truck was safe. (Easy to crawl under with a Sawzall.)

Mine was new last year. Since most thefts occur at night, the unit is visible from my neighbor's BR window. It is also right outside my BR, so I'd hear them.

Copper prices are up due to a shortage.

Since moving to suburban Phila I've noticed an interesting phenom: scrappers, mostly at night. Putting anything metal out on the curb for the trash collection guys attracts these people, mostly at night because I've never seen one in action. Most of what they collect is sold for the value of the metal content I think they are performing a valuable service by converting trash into $$$.

In one neighborhood I was working in a few years ago, it did come in handy to leave odds and ends out by the street. Saved paying for a scrap dumpster.

The city of Seattle got scammed by two Gypsies who pretended to be Indians, they claimed they needed copper for traditional Cherokee artwork and got some mid level manager to approve it, then with some name dropping and speech +10 they came to the city light warehouse with two rental trucks and got away with 6 thousand pounds of copper wire. It it my favorite metal theft story.

Not like your average metal scrapper, but it was a hilarious story.

I scrapped for many years part time, there ways to dispose of computers and electronics for money. I offered free pick up, I made a couple grand a year.

The city of Seattle got scammed by two Gypsies who pretended to be Indians, they claimed they needed copper for traditional Cherokee artwork and got some mid level manager to approve it, then with some name dropping and speech +10 they came to the city light warehouse with two rental trucks and got away with 6 thousand pounds of copper wire. It it my favorite metal theft story.

Not like your average metal scrapper, but it was a hilarious story.

Copper is selling for about $4.25/lb.

Scrappers come out every week on trash day here. And really come around during “bulk trash” week of the month. They also share their # on social media and have web pages.

I’ve called the one guy several times as we have remodeled - he was thrilled when we changed out an old cast iron sink.

Scrappers come out every week on trash day here. And really come around during “bulk trash” week of the month. They also share their # on social media and have web pages.

I’ve called the one guy several times as we have remodeled - he was thrilled when we changed out an old cast iron sink.
1 prepared

Far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster....
Oh wait, that's from Goodfellas, never mind!
Far back as I can remember we always had a handful of guys trolling the neighborhoods with their beat down Toyota or other small pickups with the homemade extended box beds with the steel cages, running around at 5 mph through the alleys and turning scrap into cash.
I've put fridges out there, old wheels, remodel scrap, anything and everything.

Next week I am putting a 1979 AMPEX VPR6 out there, weighs well over 300 pounds.
The unit COULD function if you drop in a replacement servo board but I can't even GIVE IT AWAY, no one wants the VPR6, everyone wants the VPR-80 instead.
And so our alley scrap trawlers are gonna get a serious piece of television history that originally cost 90 thousand dollars new IN 1979, for free.

Ampex VPR6 2020.jpg

It's not really big $$$, not really. Not unless it is clean/bright copper, or maybe extruded aluminum. Scrappers hoping to get any money need to drive around for hours burning gas in their cars. Then they need to clean that stuff up, dismantle, strip insulation from cables, and sort it before heading to a metal recycle; their time and expenses all factor into their bottom line.

One thing I see more of is people picking up old appliances but not for the metal, they are looking to part them out and sell parts on ebay. The sheet metal from a 20 year old washing machine is worth nothing, but that mechanical timer might sell to a DIY guy on ebay for $40. Especially since to source a new part from a parts supplier could be a $150 for the same part.

It's not really big $$$, not really. Not unless it is clean/bright copper, or maybe extruded aluminum. Scrappers hoping to get any money need to drive around for hours burning gas in their cars. Then they need to clean that stuff up, dismantle, strip insulation from cables, and sort it before heading to a metal recycle; their time and expenses all factor into their bottom line.

One thing I see more of is people picking up old appliances but not for the metal, they are looking to part them out and sell parts on ebay. The sheet metal from a 20 year old washing machine is worth nothing, but that mechanical timer might sell to a DIY guy on ebay for $40. Especially since to source a new part from a parts supplier could be a $150 for the same part.
had a guy who would make hillbilly burn pits out of the drums from washer/dryers

I keep wondering why nobody even wants the VPR6 for PARTS!
It does HAVE the same reel motors as a lot of other popular AMPEX VTR's from the same era, and it shares some of the same circuit boards!
I dunno, if someone gets it for parts instead of just scrapping it they can make a lot more money off the parts.
But I have advertised it six times, on eBay, Craigslist, and a bunch of trade pubs, and zero response except one or two snarky comments about how "NOBODY WANTS A VPR6".
Yeah yeah yeah I know, the VPR80 was the better machine.
I could afford the used VPR6, so that is what I picked up, I only needed it to digitize my old 1-inch video reels anyway.

I should drag it up to an alley in Burbank...HAHA. 😆

Pickers hit my neighborhood the day before bulk trash pickup. My trash is their treasure. If they can supplement their income or re-use what I don't need then they are welcome to it.

It happens everywhere...basically at any demolition sites, or homes that have been recently foreclosed on and the owners kicked out. To a slightly lesser degree, active construction sites with no security as well.

Back
Top Bottom