• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scrap The Presidential Debates = rarely do they cover the issues to any detail

Razoo

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Opinion | Let’s Scrap the Presidential Debates - The New York Times

But here’s a better idea: Scrap them altogether. And not for health reasons.

The debates have never made sense as a test for presidential leadership. In fact, one could argue that they reward precisely the opposite of what we want in a president. When we were serious about the presidency, we wanted intelligence, thoughtfulness, knowledge, empathy and, to be sure, likability. It should also go without saying, dignity.

Yet the debates play an outsize role in campaigns and weigh more heavily on the verdict than their true value deserves.

The Lincoln/Douglas debates were pretty good. It went down hill from there.

It's too polished now.

The debates have never made sense as a test for presidential leadership. In fact, one could argue that they reward precisely the opposite of what we want in a president. When we were serious about the presidency, we wanted intelligence, thoughtfulness, knowledge, empathy and, to be sure, likability. It should also go without saying, dignity.

Yet the debates play an outsize role in campaigns and weigh more heavily on the verdict than their true value deserves.

I am sure democrats are really going to get behind this with their loser candidate who doesn't know where he is half the times, becomes irrational and/or speechless when he is challenged on anything, and doesn't know what his own proposals are that somebody else had to dream up for him.

Ah, the Democratic Party Propaganda Ministry is getting nervous. :cool:

Our political season basically runs 365 days a year now. If you haven't figured out who to vote for by the time a debate rolls around then you're just not paying attention.

There is a mafia in our White House. It's our responsibility to eject it.

:lamo Wait, I thought Biden was going to mop the debate floor with Trump. You mean you dont want to see that? Or is there some other reason you dont want them to debate :lamo

aka... If Biden steps on the debate stage we're doomed.

The only chance we have is to keep Biden hidden in the basement so the American people don't see what a mess he is.

I agree that there should be changes. It shouldn't be some produced, stump speech show of the two candidates where everything is screened and known ahead of time. There should be at minimum 4 candidates, it should have real questions, not scripted, it should demand real answers, not some showboat song & dance.

However, they should not be scrapped. They need to be made to function better. That's it. Make them work well.

The Times would say to scrap the debates. Biased, and Trump hating, imo.
The people deserve to see the debates so that they can make an informed choice as to how they stand on the issues.

aka... If Biden steps on the debate stage we're doomed.

The only chance we have is to keep Biden hidden in the basement so the American people don't see what a mess he is.

If Trump performance in his last two interviews are an indication of how he will perform, I say double the time of the debate. Let the American people see his true colors...

The people deserve to see the debates so that they can make an informed choice as to how they stand on the issues.

Should we review the 2016 Debates and check how many lies Trump told?

How does watching Trump lie, deny and throw around baseless charges for an hour or so keep people "informed"?

If Trump performance in his last two interviews are an indication of how he will perform, I say double the time of the debate. Let the American people see his true colors...

What does that have to do with the topic and what i posted?

Answer: Nothing at all.

The debates offer chances for great drinking games. Plus with Biden and Trump on stage the late night shows will have comedy gold handed to them.

These are the two choices people have accepted so everyone should watch the debates so when things get even more screwed up it doesn't surprise anyone.

Should we review the 2016 Debates and check how many lies Trump told?

How does watching Trump lie, deny and throw around baseless charges for an hour or so keep people "informed"?

You don't get to make that decision for them.

If anything should be abolished in debates, it should be the live audience. Let them talk, free of interruption and clapping from trained seals in the audience.

The Rump is a fat butt idiot ......... he says some dumb stuff every day.

LOL

The Dems ain't total fools... They know when a train wreck is happening..

I don't recall Dems biting their fingernails and calling for a cancellation of debates when hrc was running in 16...

LOL

Like we're informed on how they stand on funding infrastructure, bringing back manufacturing to America, the right to carry guns in all states, eliminating gun-free zones at schools, ending birthright citizenship etc., etc.? All Trumps positions on the issues above never happened, How did listening to them help make an informed choice? Debates work for lying showmen, not so much for honest, thinking, somewhat colorless politicians.

One unites and gets things done, one divides, doesn't compromise and gets nothing done, but hey, he sure sure can tweak those liberal's noses can't he?...

Like we're informed on how they stand on funding infrastructure, bringing back manufacturing to America, the right to carry guns in all states, eliminating gun-free zones at schools, ending birthright citizenship etc., etc.? All Trumps positions on the issues above never happened, How did listening to them help make an informed choice? Debates work for lying showmen, not so much for honest, thinking, somewhat colorless politicians.

One unites and gets things done, one divides, doesn't compromise and gets nothing done, but hey, he sure sure can tweak those liberal's noses can't he?...

Since Biden says very little except for the times he is reading from a teleprompter or screwing up a short interview arranged by his puppeteers, I think we need to hear more from Biden, completely off the cuff and in a formal debate setting.

We have two poor choices.

No debates leaves the campaign entirely in the hands of big money propaganda as the main influencer of public opinion, more than first-hand knowledge of the candidates. The candidates will be seen giving the same speech over and over at rallies, and in prepared advertising, and carefully written speeches. This does not have a history of informing voters very well before televised debates.

The other option is better. The debates are poor quality, dominated by experts coaching just what to do, writing one liners and attack points to memorize and recite. But sneaking through all that is some idea whether the person can act the part well, which actually is a big part of the job though people don't often understand that. It also tends to get some spontaneous reactions, and hopefully questions are unknown.

We should return the debates to the league of women voters, as they were before the parties yanked them to make them more a marketing exercise than to inform voters. Until then, the better bad choice is to have them.

I think he has one true color, white...

You don't get to make that decision for them.

I'm not saying I do.... but if Trump was a poster in this forum and he behaved anywhere near what he behaves like in public, I sure as hell would have given up reading his posts long ago. I just don't understand the point in debating someone that baseless. I figure we went from 1960 to 1976 in this country without any Presidential debates and the country survived just fine. I think it'd survive just fine if we didn't have any this year either.

To be perfectly frank, I think deep down we're all sick of listening to his ****. I'll bet if you were entirely honest, you'll admit you're sick of it too.

I'm not saying I do.... but if Trump was a poster in this forum and he behaved anywhere near what he behaves like in public, I sure as hell would have given up reading his posts long ago. I just don't understand the point in debating someone that baseless. I figure we went from 1960 to 1976 in this country without any Presidential debates and the country survived just fine. I think it'd survive just fine if we didn't have any this year either.

To be perfectly frank, I think deep down we're all sick of listening to his ****. I'll bet if you were entirely honest, you'll admit you're sick of it too.

Here's what I get sick of... Liberals who think they know the minds, hearts of those who don't share their politics, but that doesn't mean that I believe the elected are my saviors. They all can be insufferable at times.

Bring on the debates for we the people!!!

Here's what I get sick of... Liberals who think they know the minds, hearts of those who don't share their politics, but that doesn't mean that I believe the elected are my saviors. They all can be insufferable at times.

Bring on the debates for we the people!!!

Yeah... that's not a denial, Trix.

Back
Top Bottom