• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SCOTUS rules against democracy in Gerrymandering case!!!

Like I said earlier, your slippery slope mu-sheen is getting mighty squirrelly.
And as far as populism, you guys just won the populist trifecta in 2016.

It ain't been working out too well.

Yeah it is not a slippery slope it is historical fact, to the point it is one of the most failed systems in the history of mankind, but you keep reverting to slippery slope which means you never had intention to look at facts or history as they both destroy your ideals, so you wish to divert away to protect a system you want that never worked in over a thousand years of trying.

Also yes trump is a result of populism, there are two sides of every coin and people tend to move away from what they have that is failing. The us has a two party system, both pushing in the most part the status quo, trump opposed the status quo. When a democratic republic hits a point where all the parties are basically puppets the people will revolt not through arms but through elections, had the system had more parties competition would have existed, forcing the big two to actually compete instead of being two sides of the same coin. To fix this it requires third and fourth party candidates, and changing rules to prevent blocking competition, as when a republic is run by two parties wanting the status quo it is nothing more than a monarchy pretending to be a republic.

Yeah it is not a slippery slope it is historical fact, to the point it is one of the most failed systems in the history of mankind, but you keep reverting to slippery slope which means you never had intention to look at facts or history as they both destroy your ideals, so you wish to divert away to protect a system you want that never worked in over a thousand years of trying.

What system am I supposedly protecting again?

Also yes trump is a result of populism, there are two sides of every coin and people tend to move away from what they have that is failing. The us has a two party system, both pushing in the most part the status quo, trump opposed the status quo. When a democratic republic hits a point where all the parties are basically puppets the people will revolt not through arms but through elections, had the system had more parties competition would have existed, forcing the big two to actually compete instead of being two sides of the same coin. To fix this it requires third and fourth party candidates, and changing rules to prevent blocking competition, as when a republic is run by two parties wanting the status quo it is nothing more than a monarchy pretending to be a republic.

Sounds like your side needs to keep working on its issues, chief among which, contempt for democracy and the democratic process. You're about to get another lesson in how that process works over the next couple of months. VERY SHORTLY.
From my personal point of view I would much rather see him resign.

Seriously, your guy shouldn't even consider buying green bananas at this point.

What system am I supposedly protecting again?

Sounds like your side needs to keep working on its issues, chief among which, contempt for democracy and the democratic process. You're about to get another lesson in how that process works over the next couple of months. VERY SHORTLY.
From my personal point of view I would much rather see him resign.

Seriously, your guy shouldn't even consider buying green bananas at this point.

The system you are protecting is direct democracy, which has one of the worst track records in human history of a governing system.

So going on about trump at this point, fair to say your support of direct democracy likely has zero to do with logic or history and more to do with hatred towards trump.

The system you are protecting is direct democracy, which has one of the worst track records in human history of a governing system.

So going on about trump at this point, fair to say your support of direct democracy likely has zero to do with logic or history and more to do with hatred towards trump.

Show me where I have advocated for anything beyond our current representative democracy...ANYWHERE.

Kekistan's public school system failed you.

Show me where I have advocated for anything beyond our current representative democracy...ANYWHERE.

Kekistan's public school system failed you.

You keep bringing up the democratic process, and attacking my arguments supporting representative democracy, how could it be construed any other way?

You keep bringing up the democratic process, and attacking my arguments supporting representative democracy, how could it be construed any other way?

What??
I'm "attacking YOUR arguments supporting representative democracy?"
Where?
That's been my argument all along, that we HAVE representative democracy and that's what people mean when they SAY "democracy".
Sorry beerftw but I have never advocated "direct democracy", and the only place I could see it working is maybe in small local city or county referendum actions, like maybe a five cent tax on beer bottles to leverage more recycling or something like that.

Beyond that, it IS too volatile, and I've always argued that, too.
In fact, my favorite analogy is that the air we breathe cannot be pure oxygen, and that our air is 21% oxygen BUFFERED with inert gases, just like our "democracy" is buffered by the representative blueprint.

NOBODY advocates for "direct democracy".
If they do, either they are card carrying communists, anarchists or extreme far Left whack jobs.
And as we all know, when communists attempt to do "direct democracy" it's a joke.

May I suggest that there is a lot of smoke and noise about this so called "direct democracy" issue, a manufactured "athenian emergency".

The Athenians have been dead for two and a half millennia.

And last but not least, you guys are going to have about as much success knocking down the 17A as "my side" (who I vehemently disagree with) will have if we attempt to knock down the 2A.

Last edited:
If we just got rid of democracy, or severely limited it to only those worth 1,000,000 or more this wouldn’t be an issue

This is why just about everyone is okay with the Burr shooting Hamilton thing, you know.

Back
Top Bottom