• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SCOTUS Oklahoma abortion pill case

year2late

IIJAFM
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
The US Supreme Court on Thursday agreed to wade into a dispute over an Oklahoma regulation of the abortion-inducing drug RU-486.

In a brief order, the justices agreed to take up the case, and then asked the Oklahoma Supreme Court to determine whether the disputed state law bars the application of certain drugs used in chemically induced abortions.

The court said that further proceedings in the case would be reserved pending receipt of a response from the Supreme Court of Oklahoma.

The action came in an appeal filed on behalf of the Oklahoma attorney general asking the justices to reinstate an Oklahoma law regulating RU-486 abortions that was struck down by the state high court in December.

The law sought to limit chemically induced abortions to a protocol of procedures that critics said were outdated and would effectively ban the procedure.

Supreme Court agrees to review Oklahoma abortion pill case - CSMonitor.com

It looks like in order to restrict abortions in general, Oklahoma is trying to make it so the prescription and delivery of the abortion pill needs to be done in a very outdated fashion (but one that was FDA approved many years ago) From what I understand, this means that abortions in that state would end up being surgical at that point.

I am curious if anyone has more information on this case. I also have to wonder if this case wins, if there could be fallout on non abortion related procedures. If the state only wants things done specifically how the FDA recommends, could that open the door for facilities or doctors to refuse any non FFDA or off label med or procedure....or heck allow an insurance company to refuse payment for things that are not exactly how the FDA describes use.

Any more info about this case would be welcomed.

RU486 is proving useful in a number of off-label applications, so potentially, yes.

I'd be interested to know how the hell they're gonna make their case. Every time RU486 is studied for safety, it fares better than expected. While it is not the most comfortable medication to take in the dose required for abortion, it is perfectly safe for a patient to do pretty much entirely on their own. There is absolutely no justification for making it tougher to get or take, except for anti-choice reasons.

Why don't governments try to introduce laws making it hard to get other medical procedures? Hysterectomy is way over-used, as is c-section, but I don't see any movements to try to tighten rules on them!

RU486 is proving useful in a number of off-label applications, so potentially, yes.

I'd be interested to know how the hell they're gonna make their case. Every time RU486 is studied for safety, it fares better than expected. While it is not the most comfortable medication to take in the dose required for abortion, it is perfectly safe for a patient to do pretty much entirely on their own. There is absolutely no justification for making it tougher to get or take, except for anti-choice reasons.

I wonder if this somehow gets through the Supremes, if this off label hysteria would be applicable not just to the abortion pill but the thousands of other drugs that are used in ways not initially approved of.

Why don't governments try to introduce laws making it hard to get other medical procedures? Hysterectomy is way over-used, as is c-section, but I don't see any movements to try to tighten rules on them!

Personally, until lawmakers get their acts together about reproductive rights and healthcare reform, I'll support any law that makes it harder for them to get medical procedures.

What does "fared better than expected" mean?

I remember showing several girls the FDA warning on RU-486 several years ago. I Googled but couldn't find it. I did find this: FDA to issue abortion drug warning / RU-486 caution partly in response to local teen's death - SFGate

Is RU-586 "perfectly safe for a patient to do pretty much entirely on their own"?

Mifeprex (mifepristone) Information

What does "fared better than expected" mean?

I remember showing several girls the FDA warning on RU-486 several years ago. I Googled but couldn't find it. I did find this: FDA to issue abortion drug warning / RU-486 caution partly in response to local teen's death - SFGate

Is RU-586 "perfectly safe for a patient to do pretty much entirely on their own"?

Mifeprex (mifepristone) Information

It means that whatever the current guidelines are, some of them turn out to be unnecessary.

Everything kills someone eventually, including aspirin, vaccines, and penicillin. By the way, medical abortion is as safe or safer than most of those common medications.

These days, an antibiotic is often prescribed with medical abortion to stop this adverse affect. By the way, the same thing can happen when you have a miscarriage, or when you give birth. Women are often given antibiotics after birth, these days.

Although, as your links note, this is extremely rare with medical abortion.

One of these deaths was not a result of the abortion at all. It was a result of an untreated tubal pregnancy. Medical abortion doesn't help this, although it doesn't really hurt either. Still, this was a lack of care on her doctor's part. The same thing would have happened if he had been careless with her prenatal care had she decided to carry.

The FDA also said none of the risks of medical abortion are unique to medical abortion. Any of them can be caused by the ending of any pregnancy through any means. So a woman should be aware of these risks regardless of what she does.

Recent studies deem follow-up to be unnecessary unless there is an actual complication.

Could American women use mifepristone-misopros... [Contraception. 2002] - PubMed - NCBI

I live in Oklahoma. I remember awhile ago this state was trying to make it completely illegal for Oklahoma residents to get birth control because it went against "god's will" to make babies happen. I was actually terrified for awhile because I order my birth control online through Canada and was afraid they would somehow figure out how to stop that from happening. Luckily for me, at this point, if I got pregnant, John and I would be prepared and happy to have a child, but at that point I was terrified that everything I was doing to PREVENT pregnancy from happening would put me in a dangerous position.

That never passed.

I live in Oklahoma. I remember awhile ago this state was trying to make it completely illegal for Oklahoma residents to get birth control because it went against "god's will" to make babies happen. I was actually terrified for awhile because I order my birth control online through Canada and was afraid they would somehow figure out how to stop that from happening. Luckily for me, at this point, if I got pregnant, John and I would be prepared and happy to have a child, but at that point I was terrified that everything I was doing to PREVENT pregnancy from happening would put me in a dangerous position.

That never passed.

Part of the mantra is that many birth control choices available to women they consider "abortofacient". The possibility that a fertilized egg (a human being to them) may not implant would be abortion to them.

Back
Top Bottom