• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SCOTUS: Mandatory Minimum Drug Sentences in Jury's Hands

I imagine the prison industrial complex will not like this... maybe next they'll make it harder to kick out murderers to make room for non-violent offenders.

Juries are pretty incompetent to leave any individual's fate in their hands, but even that is better than the abhorrent sentences that have been meted out under the war for drugs.

Very good news indeed, and perhaps an unintended consequence of this ruling will be that juries start to be informed of their powers and duties.

Ever since the Sparf decision in 1895, juries have been treated like mushrooms.

This is VERY good news, a definite step in the right direction in opposition to the war on drugs. BUT!!!! Damn those 5-4 rulings!!!! This should have been 9-0 or at worst 8-1...sheesh!

Now, the only thing I am concerned about is how a judge's jury instructions will be modified in each State that has mandatory minimums, and how the Federal courts will handle it.

This is VERY good news, a definite step in the right direction in opposition to the war on drugs. BUT!!!! Damn those 5-4 rulings!!!! This should have been 9-0 or at worst 8-1...sheesh!

Now, the only thing I am concerned about is how a judge's jury instructions will be modified in each State that has mandatory minimums, and how the Federal courts will handle it.

9-0 ? 8-1?

What, do you think the court is comprised of honorable persons devoted to the USC? ;)

Mandatory sentencing is stupid. We have judges for a reason.

Back
Top Bottom