• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

SCOTUS In Doubt

Has the SCOTUS become a political pawn for activism?

• Total voters
-- Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday said the decision to overturn Roe v. Wade has made her worried about the "integrity" of the Supreme Court.

"I think this is an activist court," Harris said in an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press." --

Does overturning a popular landmark decision mean we lose faith in this Constitutional body or do we accept that they may make decisions we don't agree with overall, and wait till the justices eventually lean the other way?

Frankly Roe itself was a decision of an activist court. The Burger court had a particular outcome in mind and found a way to get there.

One way you know it's a rubber stamp for the partisan right is that nobody here has to wonder how the Supreme Court will rule on any issue. If one side can be seen as the liberal position and the other side as the conservative position, then that's it, we all know they're going to rule for the conservative position.

Republicans have sued to stop Biden forgiving student loan debt, and when that happened we all knew that his cancellation of the debt was going to be overturned.

The Supreme Court is nothing more than an exercise in raw political power, and Republicans now have what they've always wanted: a permanent lifetime veto of all Democratic policies.

Do you feel the same about the supreme court making the "law of the land" about the second amendment?

The 2A has actual text within the Constitution - the only SCOTUS debate should be over what (unique) “shall not be infringed” means - IMHO, it means ”shall not be abridged or denied”. IMHO, the SCOTUS has allowed too much “gun control” (2A infringement?) legislation at the federal and state government level.

Frankly, Harris' statements bely an ignorance and partisanship that is a little disheartening. (I would say scary, but she's a moron).

These people didn't campaign. They were appointed and approved per constitutional processes (if that wasn't the case, the left would be moving to kick them out).

Harris wants to think she got her office legitimately. She did. She was voted in.

So they are on the same footing.

If she is saying they are incompetent, then I'd be ROTFLMAO.

That is just the best argument I've heard yet.

Can we have a printout from your time machine ?

Women are angry and they are going to be out in droves to vote. Particularly women of color and younger women. GOP's antics are going to cost them, and they deserve to pay the price.

-- Vice President Kamala Harris on Friday said the decision to overturn Roe v. Wade has made her worried about the "integrity" of the Supreme Court.

"I think this is an activist court," Harris said in an interview with NBC's "Meet the Press." --

Does overturning a popular landmark decision mean we lose faith in this Constitutional body or do we accept that they may make decisions we don't agree with overall, and wait till the justices eventually lean the other way?

Such statements are every bit as damaging to our democracy as are Trump's claims the 2020 election was stolen. You find me someone who believes otherwise, and I'll show you a partisan hack.

Women are angry and they are going to be out in droves to vote. Particularly women of color and younger women. GOP's antics are going to cost them, and they deserve to pay the price.

Can we get that printout please ?

Such statements are every bit as damaging to our democracy as are Trump's claims the 2020 election was stolen. You find me someone who believes otherwise, and I'll show you a partisan hack.

This from someone who was chosen strictly based on:

Race.....making it a racist choice.

Sex.....making it a sexist choice.

And she's talking legitimacy.

Which they will also lose.

And has been the point from the start.

Overturning RvW is going to have little impact.

But it rectified a constitutional blunder by the SCOTUS.
The excuse making has started, I see.

Been making those statements for years.

Do you have something you want to say that is meaningful ?
YOu've been making statements for years about something that happened a few months ago?

Sure you have.

Nope; overturning Roe v. Wade repaired SCOTUS damage.
Funny how the states who are now being given a choice to keep abortion legal or do away with it, they seem to be wanting to keep abortion. The public told scotus, do not overturn RvW but the gop in their infinite wisdom and desire to rule said **** y'all, we'll do as we wish. Fifty years of precedent and with one fell swoop, gone.

Republicans do not care about governing, they care about ruling and they will force their beliefs down everyone's throats if possible. Christian america, scary.

Whoa...if the court was packed with liberals (and it has been in the past) and over turned something the left didn't like. Would the result would have the same out come? Would the right if they controlled congress scream for packing the court or complain about the court's integrity'...I don't think so.

I think the SCOTUS lost a lot of credibility as being politically unbiased justices with the RvW decision. I understand them having leans but they should not be partisan creatures when making rulings. Too many are picked for their stances on the issues and desire to take sides with ideological views.

Our court is stacked with political pawns from either side. They have no integrity. They do not enforce the consitution any longer. They execute the will of their appointed party.

Funny how the states who are now being given a choice to keep abortion legal or do away with it, they seem to be wanting to keep abortion. The public told scotus, do not overturn RvW but the gop in their infinite wisdom and desire to rule said **** y'all, we'll do as we wish. Fifty years of precedent and with one fell swoop, gone.

Republicans do not care about governing, they care about ruling and they will force their beliefs down everyone's throats if possible. Christian america, scary.

This is the reason they get called the American Taliban.

Of course, it is. Thanks to Trump and his enablers, SCOTUS has 5 conservative Catholics. Educate yourself about conservative Catholics. You'll be able to answer your own question.

Back
Top Bottom