• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scott Atlas and "herd immunity" Denounced by Stanford Doctors

jpn

Retired Navy Commander
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Scott Atlas is Trump's new favorite Fox News talking head. Atlas, despite not being an epidemiologist, has been shooting his mouth off about how "herd immunity" (or, has Trump says, "herd mentality") is great and wearing masks is bad.

Now Trump's all in on "herd mentality."

But, unfortunately for the nation, Stanford experts say Atlas is a wackjob.

Stanford doctors denounce former colleague Scott Atlas, Trump's new adviser on the COVID-19 pandemic

SAN JOSE, Calif. — In the tight-knit world of academic medicine, scientists pride themselves on presenting a united and unflappable face to those outside their ranks.

But this week, in a scathing letter, dozens of Stanford University Medical School's top faculty took aim at their former colleague Dr. Scott Atlas for promoting what they called "falsehoods and misrepresentations of science."

Atlas, a diagnostic radiologist and senior fellow at the conservative think tank Hoover Institution, was recently appointed by President Donald Trump to the White House coronavirus task force.

As an adviser counselor to the president about the virus, he has made controversial statements about control of the pandemic, which has killed more than 178,000 Americans.

"Many of his opinions and statements run counter to established science and, by doing so, undermine public health authorities and the credible science that guides effective public health policy," according to the letter, signed by Dr. Philip A. Pizzo, former dean of Stanford School of Medicine; Dr. Upi Singh, chief of Stanford's Division of Infectious Diseases; and Dr. Bonnie Maldonado, professor of epidemiology and population health, and 105 others.

The punchline:

The Stanford faculty challenge his assertions, saying the preponderance of data shows that that the safest path to herd immunity is through deployment of safe vaccines, not infection; crowded indoor spaces can significantly boost the risk of viral spread; and that illness in children, while uncommon, can lead to serious short-term and long-term consequences.

In contrast, encouraging herd immunity through unchecked community transmission is not a safe public health strategy. In fact, this approach would do the opposite, causing a significant increase in preventable cases, suffering and deaths, especially among vulnerable populations, such as older individuals and essential workers.

We don't even know if having been infected by the virus once, gives us immunity from the infection.

But if we assume that being infected grants immunity, which we don't really know, for herd immunity to work we'd need about 70 percent of the population to get infected. That would be about 215 million Americans to get infected. So at a mortality rate of about 3 percent, that would come to around 6.4 million American deaths.

That's the Trump plan right now.

Last edited:
Astonishing. Best case scenario, over two million dead. Just wow!

Scott Atlas is Trump's new favorite Fox News talking head. Atlas, despite not being an epidemiologist, has been shooting his mouth off about how "herd immunity" (or, has Trump says, "herd mentality") is great and wearing masks is bad.

The punchline:

We don't even know if having been infected by the virus once, gives us immunity from the infection.

But if we assume that being infected grants immunity, which we don't really know, for herd immunity to work we'd need about 70 percent of the population to get infected. That would be about 215 million Americans to get infected. So at a mortality rate of about 3 percent, that would come to around 6.4 million American deaths.

Advocating for "herd immunity" before the vaccine comes is advocating for genocide.

Astonishing. Best case scenario, over two million dead. Just wow!

Yes. If somehow we get the mortality rate down to "only" 1 percent, that would still mean over 2 million dead.

To Trump, safe behind his phalanx of Secret Service army, this is the best way to make America great again.

I guess because the stock market won't be as badly hit. Wow.

The punchline:

Herd immunity is a clinical way of saying,

"let the virus run free and kill all it can, until there's none left to kill"

Don't let anyone fool you. That's really what it is. Letting the virus kill everyone it can. Then, we're 'done'. It's an amazingly selfish act.

The punchline:

trump and faux news are literally killing Americans.

"Many of his opinions and statements run counter to established science .... "

hahahahahah... "Established Science".... hshhhahahahahahah..
"Established science" said the earth was the center of the universe.
Preponderance of evidence is NOT "Established Science"
Not one "expert has been any more correct than another who was equally wrong.

When he was at Stanford he was knowledgaeble... but now he isn't !

This thread should be in the humor forum....

"Many of his opinions and statements run counter to established science .... "

hahahahahah... "Established Science".... hshhhahahahahahah..
"Established science" said the earth was the center of the universe.
Preponderance of evidence is NOT "Established Science"
Not one "expert has been any more correct than another who was equally wrong.

When he was at Stanford he was knowledgaeble... but now he isn't !

This thread should be in the humor forum....

Since when was Aristotle established science?

Since when was Aristotle established science?

EXACTLY !
You're the first to make the connection within my statement likening it to so called Established Science of covid 19 and the absurdity of that "established science" statement.
congratulations.

EXACTLY !
You're the first to make the connection within my statement likening it to so called Established Science of covid 19 and the absurdity of that "established science" statement.
congratulations.

So, wait. You're saying that modern epidemiology does not apply the scientific method, as Aristotle did not?

Is that your final answer?

Herd immunity is a clinical way of saying,

"let the virus run free and kill all it can, until there's none left to kill"

Don't let anyone fool you. That's really what it is. Letting the virus kill everyone it can. Then, we're 'done'. It's an amazingly selfish act.

You know Trump is your leader when the best solution you can come up with is “everyone just die.”

You know Trump is your leader when the best solution you can come up with is “everyone just die.”

"Just let the virus work its way through the population."

1. Was that Donald Trump or Boris Johnson?

2. Does it matter?

Actually he is correct, and "Herd Mentality" is already working wonderfully among his cultists.

Comments I read daily on the internet

It's a democratic hoax to bring down Trump.
It's all over blown.
No worse than the flu etc.

My Wife's Uncle dead
My Son-in-Laws Grandfather dead
Wife's ex-coworker (Nurse) dead with no known pre-existing conditions.

But it's all a over blown world wide hoax to bring down Trump.

Last edited:
Then what are you saying? I mean, aside from a giant pile of solipsism.

Giant pile of Solipsism ? I always assume a person has familiarity with the words he chooses; so....
Tell ya' what pal ... you address me without insults and an answer may be returned
should I choose.

"Just let the virus work its way through the population."

1. Was that Donald Trump or Boris Johnson?

2. Does it matter?

i believe the guy with the good hair said that

i believe the guy with the good hair said that

Wow, that doesn't clear it up at all!!!

Trump or Johnson. I wouldn't be caught dead with either's hair!

Giant pile of Solipsism ? I always assume a person has familiarity with the words he chooses; so....
Tell ya' what pal ... you address me without insults and an answer may be returned
should I choose.

How about no?

picking out con men (Rush/Trump/Sean/Jerry/Alex) and doing math doesn't seem to be the strength of the Q.

Back
Top Bottom