• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientology took millions in (80) loans from the government during the coronavirus pandemic

OscarLevant

Gadfly Extraordinaire
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Back in the early 90s, the Church Of Scientology was involved in a big IRS battle over many millions of dollars in back taxes.

So, the 'church' ( wasn't a church when it started ) became a church because L. Ron Hubbard, it's founder understood that religions do not have to pay taxes. And so spring the idea to become a 'religion'.

Scientology hired a team of lawyers to harass IRS officials, the church spent millions on lawyers, and the IRS caved, and granted them 'religion' status, and now they don't have to pay taxes.

They take the many millions they saved and invested it in real estate, and much of their funding comes from real estate gains and celebrity donations. The membership of the church, from what I hear, is shrinking owing to many scandals, and the TV show by Leah Remini giving it terrible publicity.

I have some knowledge of this church, as I was a member when I was very young, from 1966 through 1975, when I abandoned the teachings. For me, it was just a matter of growing up and coming to my senses.

In Truth, it's a business. It's courses are basically self-help type, mental training, etc., and it's 'religion' is basically a therapy parading as a religion, which, to me, makes it a business. "Dianetics", having personally witnessed 'sessions', myself, and having witnessed hypnosis sessions in the past, I swear, I can't tell the difference between Dianetics and regressive hypnotherapy, but, I'm no expert.
I think there needs to be a commission, and so - called 'religions' parading as such when they are de facto businesses, should be reclassified as businesses and they should pay taxes like all businesses. That they are businesses not paying taxes means they are being subsidized by taxpayers, and in my book, this is wrong.

This religion caused a lot of havoc in my family because in 2001, my sister was forced, by the church, to 'disconnect' from me. She sent me a 'letter of disconnection' and would no longer accept communication with me of any kind, no possible hope of reconciliation, etc. It was very traumatic for me, especially my mother ( who is not a scientologist ). She did this because I was a member of an internet forum that was critical of the church ( it was actually on usenet ) . All of this because of a 'religion'. Well, she passed away in 2005 and so I am free to say anything I want about the church, there is no one left to disconnect. I will say, I was finally able to reconnect with her, I had to sign a form that stated I wouldn't say anything bad about the church. So I did, as I valued her connection more than my opinions about the church. On first amendment principles, I think the church deserved criticism because if it weren't for Scientology, she would never have done this. It was just wrong, wrong on every level, and an act very unbecoming of a church. Of course, it's not a religion, it's a cult, and I think that is fairly obvious by now.

But, here they are, a religion with billions in cash in the bank, a shrinking religion, claiming 'covid' is the reason for their becoming less popular, and reaping millions from the US Taxpayer.

The Church of Scientology—a religion and network of multi-million-dollar entities that includes religious institutions and various businesses worth an estimated $2 billion—received 80 pandemic disaster loans from the U.S. government totaling $6,413,740, according to a Daily Dot investigation.

Scientology churches collected $1,420,000 through 36 separate loans. Other major Scientology-affiliated businesses that received bailout loans include Narconon, a controversial rehab facility, which got $1,680,000 in 17 separate pandemic loans.

But, here they are, a religion with billions in cash in the bank, a shrinking religion, claiming 'covid' is the reason for their becoming less popular, and reaping millions from the US Taxpayer.

The Church of Scientology—a religion and network of multi-million-dollar entities that includes religious institutions and various businesses worth an estimated $2 billion—received 80 pandemic disaster loans from the U.S. government totaling $6,413,740, according to a Daily Dot investigation.

Scientology churches collected $1,420,000 through 36 separate loans. Other major Scientology-affiliated businesses that received bailout loans include Narconon, a controversial rehab facility, which got $1,680,000 in 17 separate pandemic loans.

Of course they did, they want to feel superior to all the Qanon folks.

Back
Top Bottom