• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Scientology - Leah Remini TV Show

Arcana XV

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I recommend the documentary "Going Clear". If I recall Leah Remini was also in it. I had some idea of how messed up that organization was before, but after seeing Going Clear I have no doubt left. It's a borderline criminal, mafia type set-up.

Oh, and I haven't been able to watch a Tom Cruise movie since. The man is absolutely brainwashed and unhinged.

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
somewhere across the border in the great North
Political Leaning
Liberal
I would apply laws that are already on the books to religion.

Thus you can tell people that God is real but the moment you pass around the collection plate you should be done for fraud.

By using social pressure to control people you are kidnapping no less than the gangster.

By denying children a decent education you are guilty of child abuse. Deliberately making the child less clever than they would be.
all laws already apply to churches

people can walk away anytime they choose

educational standards are set by the state not the church so you would have no grounds there either

but I do understand you are not a big advocate of religion ;)

ludin

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
yes I agree,

it is interesting to me to note some of the participants

equally interesting is listening to those who escaped

it was no easy journey and often times they lost their whole family and friends because once one leaves they are shunned

I wonder if they can topple it?

There are less and less members apparently.
there are other things like that as well such as JW's etc...

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
there are other things like that as well such as JW's etc...
yes I find their cult quite fascinating too

had an acquaintance who go lightly involved for a bit, it got pretty rough when she tried to leave...walking into her house, trying to "help" her back, following her...

they target the highly vulnerable and give lots of "help" and "assistance" such as moving you, driving you, giving food

at least they give some tangible help for a bit anyway

Tim the plumber

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
all laws already apply to churches

people can walk away anytime they choose

educational standards are set by the state not the church so you would have no grounds there either

but I do understand you are not a big advocate of religion ;)

Saying there is a God/god and then getting money from it is obtaining money by deception. Fraud.

The laws are not applied to religion. Religion is allowed to get away with loads.

If you want to apply the law to the clearly abhorent and corrupt Scientologists then look out the Catholic church. And all the rest.

devildavid

Phlegmatic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I've heard and read quite a bit about Scientology, but when others are talking about religion I try and keep an open mind and pick their brains a bit to get a feeling of where they're coming from. It helps a discussion go along. Might be from direct experience.

My mom read Dianetics when it was re-released in the '70s and it was all the talk. That book The Secret is based pretty much on the same idea as I recall.
Two words that should clarify how nuts scientology is: Tom Cruise.

Napoleon

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate

Saying there is a God/god and then getting money from it is obtaining money by deception. Fraud.

The laws are not applied to religion. Religion is allowed to get away with loads.

If you want to apply the law to the clearly abhorent and corrupt Scientologists then look out the Catholic church. And all the rest.
No comparison at all. Scientology is an organized crime organization. It is no more a religion than the mafia.

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Freedumb of religion. It's actually a problem. Freedumb of the press and speech is a close second. I'd be the first to rewrite the First, if I had the pen.

Freedumb, it will be our downfall.

how fascist of you.

Tim the plumber

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
No comparison at all. Scientology is an organized crime organization. It is no more a religion than the mafia.
I agree with that but the point is that I see not much of a difference between the Mafia and the ancient Mafia that is the Catholic church. And the rest.

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
20/20 did a whole show on Leah Remini and Scientology last night.

Sweden

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
yes I find their cult quite fascinating too

had an acquaintance who go lightly involved for a bit, it got pretty rough when she tried to leave...walking into her house, trying to "help" her back, following her...

they target the highly vulnerable and give lots of "help" and "assistance" such as moving you, driving you, giving food

at least they give some tangible help for a bit anyway
So this is one religion where "people can walk away from any time they chose" (your comment at #52) does not apply. Another is Islam where 'walking away' may result in beheading or hanging.

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
correct, yes

no easy leave

but unlike Islam you likely will survive to criticize them
There has been more than one mysterious death of people trying to leave though. The stuff of conspiracy theories.

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
There has been more than one mysterious death of people trying to leave though. The stuff of conspiracy theories.
agreed, which is highly disturbing

but

cults are that way, you take your chances when you leave, the thing is, by the time you are ready to leave, you are willing to risk all

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
Monthly Subscriber
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
So the left has lost it all and are openly advocating fascism now..... good to know
That seems to be an unwarranted conclusion based on a partial quote, plus trying to make a generalization on an entire group of people from anything that calamity says is the logical fallacy of 'painting with a broad brush'.

LittleNipper

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
It is funny how people are willing to try to buy and jump through hoops ---- for what Jesus Christ delivers free of charge.

Dragonfly

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
and?

do tell
Scientology "allowed" one of their head corporate lawyers to comment on some of the "allegations".

Other than that is was a pretty good commercial for Leah and her show.

Needless to say the Scientology lawyer did not come across as being remotely credible.

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
That seems to be an unwarranted conclusion based on a partial quote, plus trying to make a generalization on an entire group of people from anything that calamity says is the logical fallacy of 'painting with a broad brush'.

actually on his whole quote, backed up by the left wing talking points about so called #fakenews, and other lamentations from the left of center.

rabbitcaebannog

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The whole religion is basically totalitarian in nature (replace the state with church in this case). I had to laugh when I watched the episode where they said Ron L. Hubbard stated, "He who controls public relations rules the world". Kind of reminds me of how politics run.

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
L Ron Hubbard was a drip of puss from a rodents ass. The "Concentration Camp of Scientology" must be totally destroyed. Thank you A&E TV & Leah Remini for revealing this bag of sewage called Scientology.

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
They need to go after the people who have broken the law. Going after the church as a whole would set a bad precedent.
Careful when using the word "church".

_Sal

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Scientology "allowed" one of their head corporate lawyers to comment on some of the "allegations".

Other than that is was a pretty good commercial for Leah and her show.

Needless to say the Scientology lawyer did not come across as being remotely credible.
yes

needless to say

scammers abound

Top Bottom