• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Scientology - Leah Remini TV Show

Anybody see the Leah Remini show on Scientology. Part 1 of an 8 part series I think.
Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath Full Episodes, Video & More | A&E

At what point should the government/law enforcement look into this whacked out organization?

How have they remained so protected?

the constitution protects religious beliefs, not religious establishments. The constitution would allow the church of scientology to be tax exempt but not exempt from laws against abuse.

Anybody see the Leah Remini show on Scientology. Part 1 of an 8 part series I think.
Leah Remini: Scientology and the Aftermath Full Episodes, Video & More | A&E

At what point should the government/law enforcement look into this whacked out organization?

I stumbled across her program by accident. It is enlightening to say the least.

Last night I watched part of the brain washing techniques used by their mass media productions. The one guy who has now escaped has a very laid back attitude about his experience especially the "billion year contract" he signed with them at 15.

I have seen and read much about this "church" over the years. Pretty much founded by a psychotic who was quite brilliant. I am not certain if he claimed he was alien or if we are all aliens.

It is some messed up stuff and almost mind blowing that people get sucked into it. Some of their slavery techniques to alter your mind back into the faith are quite fascinating...like lifting rocks all day...piling them and then putting them all back into the original pile until you are so exhausted you collapse...or brushing out a dumpster with your own tooth brush and then being forced to use it.

They said last night they just keep using the incoming millions to buy more and more land and buildings many and much of which they claim is inhabited by believers but apparently is merely empty.

It's intriguing and frightening.

IMO, NO church or religious organization should have ANY tax free status or ANY more special status than any other club.

Scientology? The religion started by a guy who once claimed that the best way to become rich was to start a religion.

Thing is that if the state is to go after these rip off merchants then which church is safe? They all do this to some extent.

Plenty.
Churches are still required to follow laws. If a church is breaking the law then e.g. are not protected.
Given what we know this isn't a church and more of a cult which has no legal protections.

IMO, NO church or religious organization should have ANY tax free status or ANY more special status than any other club.

Scientology? The religion started by a guy who once claimed that the best way to become rich was to start a religion.

They are not tax except for being a church but they fall into the same catagory as any other charity.
Which means they are doing things that help their community.

Plenty.
Churches are still required to follow laws. If a church is breaking the law then e.g. are not protected.
Given what we know this isn't a church and more of a cult which has no legal protections.

If you can define the difference between cult and church then go for it!

I see no practicle difference between any religion today.

They are not tax except for being a church but they fall into the same catagory as any other charity.
Which means they are doing things that help their community.

they bullied their way into it, but they are currently tax exempt in the US yes

They were finally rewarded in October 1993, when the IRS formally announced that the Church of Scientology and its related social betterment organizations had been granted tax exemption again.[5] Since then, the U.S. Department of State has formally criticized several European countries, including Germany and France, for religious discrimination against Scientologists.[6][7] In March 1997, the New York Times published an article chronicling "Scientology's puzzling journey from tax rebel to tax exempt" in the United States.[7]

If you can define the difference between cult and church then go for it!

I see no practicle difference between any religion today.

a church allows you to freely walk away and supposedly burn in hell

a cult is difficult to escape from as you are followed, harassed, threatened and sometimes kidnapped back into the fold (Scientology) (the Moonies)

they bullied their way into it, but they are currently tax exempt in the US yes

you didn't understand my post. church aren't given exceptions for being churches but for being a charitable organization.
they fall under the same status.

you didn't understand my post. church aren't given exceptions for being churches but for being a charitable organization.
they fall under the same status.

Sorry :(I still don't understand it actually. Are not non-profit religious organizations tax free? As a self-purporting religion they won the right to be tax free in the US

Europe not so much as they are viewed as a business.

Sorry :(I still don't understand it actually. Are not non-profit religious organizations tax free? As a self-purporting religion they won the right to be tax free in the US

Europe not so much as they are viewed as a business.

yes non-profit religious organizations are tax exempt as long as they meet the criteria, however there is a difference between a cult and an organized religion.
there is a fine line but a difference.

1) CULT: Single, unquestioned leader
2) CULT: Cohabitation
3) CULT: Isolation
4) CULT: Coercion

there are a few others but those are the main pillars.

a church allows you to freely walk away and supposedly burn in hell

a cult is difficult to escape from as you are followed, harassed, threatened and sometimes kidnapped back into the fold (Scientology) (the Moonies)

How does being cut off from your society because you have forsaken God sit in there?

How does being killed because you are an apostate in the Islamic faith look?

L.Ron Rip-off Hubard chose to make his money milking machine a religion because of the cover given by the existing rip-off structures.

yes non-profit religious organizations are tax exempt as long as they meet the criteria, however there is a difference between a cult and an organized religion.

Piests or monks or nuns would seem to qualify for that.

yes I understand the psychology behind cults

yes Scientology is a cult

regardless of what we think, it is still tax free :shrug:

in some European countries they label Scientology as a cult and/or business

they are not tax free in those countries

How does being cut off from your society because you have forsaken God sit in there?

How does being killed because you are an apostate in the Islamic faith look?

L.Ron Rip-off Hubard chose to make his money milking machine a religion because of the cover given by the existing rip-off structures.[/COL
OR]

yes, so?

whether or not you understand the differing factors between a religion and a cult does not change their known definition

what is your point and what angle is your argument?

L.Ron Rip-off Hubard chose to make his money milking machine a religion because of the cover given by the existing rip-off structures.

L. Ron Hubbard was without a doubt a modern snake-oil salesman.

David Miscavige takes what L. Ron did to a level that's just unbelievable to anyone on the outside looking in.

It's very hard to feel sorry for anyone who joined that cult.

The ones I feel sorry for are the children who are born and raised into it.
That's where (in my opinion) some government/outside legal intervention seems to be needed.

The way that cult treats, educates, brainwashes, and raises kids is frightening.

Lawyers.

Generally I am not too hostile towards religion, but Scientology is my nemesis religion. It is so obviously a scam and a cult, I cannot believe it was sanctioned as "religion" through government.

ah now I get it

you believe all religions to be cults
okay

That is why there is such trouble going after the more obviously rip-off cults.

You will have to find a definition that will allow the Catholic church to have nuns and the Islamic faith to have it OK to kill those who leave the faith, within their scripture but not done when the law of the land stops them so it's OK...., to avoid all religions being surpressed by the state.

I mean, I am in favor of such a law. Protection from a racket is part of the states duty.

L. Ron Hubbard was without a doubt a modern snake-oil salesman.

David Miscavige takes what L. Ron did to a level that's just unbelievable to anyone on the outside looking in.

It's very hard to feel sorry for anyone who joined that cult.

The ones I feel sorry for are the children who are born and raised into it.
That's where (in my opinion) some government/outside legal intervention seems to be needed.

The way that cult treats, educates, brainwashes, and raises kids is frightening.

100% agree.

However that would make the Madrasas illegal. Also the jewish schools and then the Anglican schools funded by the state. Where do you stop once you make the use of religion to control people illegal?

yes I understand the psychology behind cults

yes Scientology is a cult

regardless of what we think, it is still tax free :shrug:

in some European countries they label Scientology as a cult and/or business

they are not tax free in those countries

they should be but harder to do that in the US.
many many powerful people here belong to that group.

That is why there is such trouble going after the more obviously rip-off cults.

You will have to find a definition that will allow the Catholic church to have nuns and the Islamic faith to have it OK to kill those who leave the faith, within their scripture but not done when the law of the land stops them so it's OK...., to avoid all religions being surpressed by the state.

I mean, I am in favor of such a law. Protection from a racket is part of the states duty.

so let me understand this: you are in favour of limiting or stopping people from joining or being a part of say the Catholic church or the Lutheran church or the United church?

and nuns should not be allowed

am I understanding you correctly?

so let me understand this: you are in favour of limiting or stopping people from joining or being a part of say the Catholic church or the Lutheran church or the United church?

and nuns should not be allowed

am I understanding you correctly?

I would apply laws that are already on the books to religion.

Thus you can tell people that God is real but the moment you pass around the collection plate you should be done for fraud.

By using social pressure to control people you are kidnapping no less than the gangster.

By denying children a decent education you are guilty of child abuse. Deliberately making the child less clever than they would be.

they should be but harder to do that in the US.
many many powerful people here belong to that group.

yes I agree,

it is interesting to me to note some of the participants

equally interesting is listening to those who escaped

it was no easy journey and often times they lost their whole family and friends because once one leaves they are shunned

I wonder if they can topple it?

There are less and less members apparently.

Back
Top Bottom