• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists should be in charge of everything.

dex4974

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
And I think they will be one day if AI isn't running the show instead. It's ridiculous that the most qualified people don't have the loudest voices in matters that have very real impacts on all of us. I know a lot of people won't agree, but try to have the humility to understand your own ignorance in any given matter compared to a scientist that specializes in it.

EDIT: Ideally unions of scientists with safeguards to prevent corruption. I think they'd do a better job of it than anybody else. I have the most confidence in the people that know more than anybody else.

Last edited:
To clarify a little I am being broad when I say "scientist." I am essentially arguing for meritocracy. I believe the most knowledgeable people in any given matter should have the most authority in that matter.

And I think they will be one day if AI isn't running the show instead. It's ridiculous that the most qualified people don't have the loudest voices in matters that have very real impacts on all of us. I know a lot of people won't agree, but try to have the humility to understand your own ignorance in any given matter compared to a scientist that specializes in it.

EDIT: Ideally unions of scientists with safeguards to prevent corruption. I think they'd do a better job of it than anybody else. I have the most confidence in the people that know more than anybody else.
LOL. There are scientists on both sides of every issue. Which ones should be in charge?

LOL. There are scientists on both sides of every issue. Which ones should be in charge?

If there are disagreements between bodies of scientists there can be protocols to sort that out through deliberation and come to a decision about how to proceed. At least scientists would disagree constructively and with some class unlike 99% of people. It'd be a lot easier to make progress.

Scientists have an important role. But the bottom line in politics is how power and wealth are divided, and any group is subject to corruption, simply placing scientists in charge will provide facts, but not resolve values and policies.

That's why it was left to the people to choose representatives, but that process is badly corrupted.

Scientists have an important role. But the bottom line in politics is how power and wealth are divided, and any group is subject to corruption, simply placing scientists in charge will provide facts, but not resolve values and policies.

That's why it was left to the people to choose representatives, but that process is badly corrupted.

Scientists are not more prone to corruption than any other group with power. Human corruptibility is a factor no matter what. Scientists would do a better job.

To clarify a little I am being broad when I say "scientist." I am essentially arguing for meritocracy. I believe the most knowledgeable people in any given matter should have the most authority in that matter.

dumb idea. "knowledge" and "good judgement" are in no way synonymous.

"Scientific public policy" is in large part responsible for the bad condition of present-day USG.

If an idea can't rationally be explained to a person with an IQ of 100, it shouldn't be allowed to influence government action.

There is no political system yet conceived that will serve all equally, let alone the ability to implement such a system. Even though we're a social species that thrives and grows in larger and larger social groups, we are also all fundamentally individually selfish creatures. We have progressed enough we can devise social solutions that allow millions, hundreds of millions, and even over a billion, humans to act as one with a single purpose. Yet we are also so base that we stand in lines to hoard toilet paper, and kill each other over our breathing hole shields, continuing to divide ourselves into smaller and smaller squabbling factions based on the most trivial of things. Is there a solution to peace on earth? I say we've given it the ol' college try, but when we have the technology, let the AI give it a go.

dumb idea. "knowledge" and "good judgement" are in no way synonymous.

Knowledge creates more opportunity for good judgment. Nobody is in a better position to have good judgement. Nobody is saying scientists are perfect, just that they know the most.

"Scientific public policy" is in large part responsible for the bad condition of present-day USG.

If an idea can't rationally be explained to a person with an IQ of 100, it shouldn't be allowed to influence government action.

Our path forward shouldn't be limited by people with an IQ of 100.

There is no political system yet conceived that will serve all equally, let alone the ability to implement such a system. Even though we're a social species that thrives and grows in larger and larger social groups, we are also all fundamentally individually selfish creatures. We have progressed enough we can devise social solutions that allow millions, hundreds of millions, and even over a billion, humans to act as one with a single purpose. Yet we are also so base that we stand in lines to hoard toilet paper, and kill each other over our breathing hole shields, continuing to divide ourselves into smaller and smaller squabbling factions based on the most trivial of things. Is there a solution to peace on earth? I say we've given it the ol' college try, but when we have the technology, let the AI give it a go.

I'm pretty sure AI will take over eventually.

What practical field of science has a 50/50 split among scientists in that field of study on questions of political relevance?

What practical field of science has a 50/50 split among scientists in that field of study on questions of political relevance?

Can you imagine a group of scientists from a multitude of fields rationally debating our best path forward as a species and actually having the power to implement the things they come to agree on?

I'm a dreamer...

Can you imagine a group of scientists from a multitude of fields rationally debating our best path forward as a species and actually having the power to implement the things they come to agree on?

I'm a dreamer...

Yes, I do, it was called Somalia.

Society is comprised of millions upon millions of individuals and families. Each individual’s preferences are uniquely his or her own. My preferences for safety and health differ from yours. Sure, guy like Fauci knows alot about viruses, but can he possibly have any insight into the complex tradeoffs required of 300mn+ people? I think not.

That's the fatal conceit.

Knowledge creates more opportunity for good judgment. Nobody is in a better position to have good judgement. Nobody is saying scientists are perfect, just that they know the most.

where do you get that idea?

Governing often makes it important to have a wide range of knowledge about a huge variety of subjects. "Scientists" tend to be much more narrowly focused for obvious reasons.

Our path forward shouldn't be limited by people with an IQ of 100.
When you're barreling over a cliff, any limits on your "path forward" are a good thing.

Yes, I do, it was called Somalia.

Society is comprised of millions upon millions of individuals and families. Each individual’s preferences are uniquely his or her own. My preferences for safety and health differ from yours. Sure, guy like Fauci knows alot about viruses, but can he possibly have any insight into the complex tradeoffs required of 300mn+ people? I think not.

That's the fatal conceit.

Economic scientists? This is not Somalia. A union of qualified scientists could run society just fine. Not all of them would agree and that would be a vital part of the process.

So you want Doctor Caucteau to run the country?

So you want Doctor Caucteau to run the country?

No, I don't want any one scientist to be particularly powerful. I want a union of scientists that constantly deliberates over matters in depth to run the country.

Scientists are not more prone to corruption than any other group with power.

I didn't say they were, so you misrepresented my post. I said they're not immune, if given that power. You might have heard, 'power tends to corrupt'.

the problem is information and there's just too much of it.

That's why you need informed people to sort things out and make good decisions.

Back
Top Bottom