• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild

ReverendHellh0und

I don't respect you.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild

Scientists see this flu strain as relatively mild - Los Angeles Times

Genetic data indicate this outbreak won't be as deadly as that of 1918, or even the average winter.

As the World Health Organization raised its infectious disease alert level Wednesday and health officials confirmed the first death linked to swine flu inside U.S. borders, scientists studying the virus are coming to the consensus that this hybrid strain of influenza -- at least in its current form -- isn't shaping up to be as fatal as the strains that caused some previous pandemics.

In fact, the current outbreak of the H1N1 virus, which emerged in San Diego and southern Mexico late last month, may not even do as much damage as the run-of-the-mill flu outbreaks that occur each winter without much fanfare.

Healthscare=Over.

So now that we have whipped up the world into panic, where fools ignorantly walk around with surgical masks, a nation slaughtering ALL of its pigs, and a VP stating he would not ride the subway..... And a president commenting on it more so than he does on Iraq somali pirates, or many other real issues. Is it time now, we can forget about this nonsense?

After everyone gets done sneezing, Obama will stand up and pronounce that it was swift & decisive action by him & his administration, that averted an epidemic not seen since the plague.

...and the msm went wild...

Healthscare=Over.

So now that we have whipped up the world into panic, where fools ignorantly walk around with surgical masks, a nation slaughtering ALL of its pigs, and a VP stating he would not ride the subway..... And a president commenting on it more so than he does on Iraq somali pirates, or many other real issues. Is it time now, we can forget about this nonsense?

Yea, I called BS on this a couple of days ago. But it seems that most people are hell bent on getting the bejesus scared out of them. We need more horror films at the movie theatres. :mrgreen:

After everyone gets done sneezing, Obama will stand up and pronounce that it was swift & decisive action by him & his administration, that averted an epidemic not seen since the plague.

...and the msm went wild...

....Stay tuned for more panic, on these same FCC frequencies, in all days to come. This anouncement brought to you by the US Government, and these local stations. :cool:

From the very end of the article.

Though scientists have begun to relax about the initial toll, they're considerably less comfortable when taking into account the fall flu season. They remain haunted by the experience of 1918, when the relatively mild first wave of flu was followed several months later by a more aggressive wave.

The longer the virus survives, the more chances it has to mutate into a deadlier form.

"If this virus keep going through our summer," Palese said, "I would be very concerned."

Hopefully it disappears come summer.

oh man...

and I was really looking forward to a crises. Shoot, I had my gas mask on and my bomb shelter was equipped with chicken, beef, and turkey.

Does Egypt have to apologize for killing Hellhound's family :shock: :rofl just kidding buddy.

oh man...

and I was really looking forward to a crises. Shoot, I had my gas mask on and my bomb shelter was equipped with chicken, beef, and turkey.

Does Egypt have to apologize for killing Hellhound's family :shock: :rofl just kidding buddy.

Do you really have a bomb shelter?

I think it will disappear come summer. But there's a chance that it will not be gone for good, and like the article states, it could be much worse.

Get ready for a slobberfest about how Obama single-handedly cured the flu and saved the world from the Black Plague.

I hope so. I have been avoiding Mexican restaurants until it subsides. Not because I think I'll die but I just don't want to get sick at all.

Apparently Mexico is pretty much closed nationwide for at least a week. All schools and all non-essential workers are to stay home.

Are they over-reacting? If the flu is relatively benign in comparison to a typical seasonal flu then why is Mexico essentially shut down for business till May 6th? Joe Biden is on tv telling people to stay off buses. Did he not get the memo that the crisis is over-hyped or was it the memo that said, "Look we need to calm everyone the hell down," that he missed?

It's all very curious.

I think it will disappear come summer. But there's a chance that it will not be gone for good, and like the article states, it could be much worse.

A little help for you, ( and I should say very little...), THe flu is on a cycle of something like 88 years. Every 88 years we se the same strain of virus, with some genetic changes. This one killed 25 million people , world wide, in 1918. WE are liveing in different circumstances now. Better everything, homes, food, drugs, medical. Even at that, around 35 thousand people die each year from the flu and related cousin viruses. This version of the swine flu actualy got back around the fullcycle a hand full of years ago, (sorry about the lack of absolutes here,... there are few available, ie, science is still guessing at the facts of life on earth).

The real major difference about this cycle of the return of swine flu # bla bla bla, is the shameless use of it to induce panic. TRUE ;)

Last edited:
Get ready for a slobberfest about how Obama single-handedly cured the flu and saved the world from the Black Plague.

Yes, but we now must remove the word "black" from the black plague for sensitivity reasons. There was a memo on the bus about it, but no one was there to see it.

Apparently Mexico is pretty much closed nationwide for at least a week. All schools and all non-essential workers are to stay home.

Are they over-reacting? If the flu is relatively benign in comparison to a typical seasonal flu then why is Mexico essentially shut down for business till May 6th? Joe Biden is on tv telling people to stay off buses. Did he not get the memo that the crisis is over-hyped or was it the memo that said, "Look we need to calm everyone the hell down," that he missed?

It's all very curious.

... CLUE: If you go to Mexico, "Don`t Drink the Water". In a city of 25 million people, there are hundreds of deaths every day. In the case of swine flu, a few of those people, looking straight at the grim reaper, got the flu a few days befor their demise. OK ...now just a little math. 10(DAYS) x hundreds of deaths daily = thousands who got the flu just before death. Add a little panic....PRESTO ! Or as they say in Mexico,...SEE ?

Don't forget the pointless attacks against him before he says anything.

The H1N1 may very well be just a flash in the pan and a horribly over hyped news story though.

However, the CDC, WHO, Virologist, Microbiologist have all asserted in the past couple years ( especially during the Bird Flu outbreak on Hong Kong and China) that worldwide, deadly epidemic of a flu variation was pretty much inevitable.

The problem is in the opening days of an outbreak there is very little in the way of judging how infectious it will be, how many people are already infected, and how potent the strain is.

Ok, this might be a suitable analogy. You live near a volcano and a Volcanologist tells you that it is inevitable this particular volcano is going to explode in the future, could be tomorrow, could be next week, but it will be relatively soon. Well, the local news picks it up and make it breaking news to the town. They go through there usual routine, bring in other Geologist who say it could be absolutely devastating, that you should leave town etc. The mayor gets on T.V and says he urges all residents to remain vigilante and aware of their surroundings. There are a few small tremors, but you think 'Hey, this happens all the time, no need to worry, they are probably hyping it"

Well, a couple months go by, everyone forgets and boom, there is a large tremor followed by a spew of ash and the pyroclastic flow levels your house. Or another scenario. Two years ago by the volcano never explodes and you think ‘Damn media is always over hyping things’

All they are trying to do is maintain some balance between doing enough and not evoking a widespread panic.

Also, it's been reported that many scientists say that even if this does seemingly go away, it could come back pretty ugly at the end of summer or around flu season. Only time will tell

I personally think it will be relatively mild, but I will by no means dismiss it until it is reasonable to do so.

A little help for you, ( and I should say very little...), THe flu is on a cycle of something like 88 years. Every 88 years we se the same strain of virus, with some genetic changes. This one killed 25 million people , world wide, in 1918. WE are liveing in different circumstances now. Better everything, homes, food, drugs, medical. Even at that, around 35 thousand people die each year from the flu and related cousin viruses. This version of the swine flu actualy got back around the fullcycle a hand full of years ago, (sorry about the lack of absolutes here,... there are few available, ie, science is still guessing at the facts of life on earth).

The real major difference about this cycle of the return of swine flu # bla bla bla, is the shameless use of it to induce panic. TRUE ;)

Did you know that most of the 35 thousand that die of the flu every in the US year had compromised immune systems, or were very young, or were elderly? Few--if any--are normal and perfectly healthy 30 somethings.

Imagine that!

Back
Top Bottom